Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 11:52 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,466,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
The Ohio Turnpike is a shining example how to run a well maintained cost effective travelway that benefits taxpayers. In contrast, the PA Turnpike is an insanely expensive, bloated, terrible condition road that nobody can afford to use.
Pa. pike is gouging us for sure but highway construction in a flat featureless bland state like Ohio is far cheaper and easier to do.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:07 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,706,668 times
I rarely go to Ohio on purpose. Sometimes I have to go there for work, or a friend makes some bad life choices by moving there. Is that passive aggressive enough?

There is nothing wrong with Ohio, but I would never go there on purpose...

Old 02-06-2018, 12:15 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
The Ohio turnpike has better rest stops. But it is a little weird how Columbus, Cincy, and Dayton all get highways with no tolls.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:27 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,439,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
I rarely go to Ohio on purpose. Sometimes I have to go there for work, or a friend makes some bad life choices by moving there. Is that passive aggressive enough?

There is nothing wrong with Ohio, but I would never go there on purpose...
That's trying to backhand compliment somebody. Just say "I hate that I have to go to Ohio for work and I'd rather go to Philly or NYC for work." Or, "Why the hell would my friends move to Ohio instead of the East Coast? They're crazy as hell for moving to Ohio." At least, that's more honest .

Old 02-06-2018, 12:32 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I'm curious. What is wrong with the PA Turnpike?
PA Turnpike = 67.3 cents a mile (surely higher now)
OH Turnpike - 20.6 cents a mile

PA Turnpike = $47.55 to drive the entire length
OH Turnpike = $18.75 to drive the entire length (granted it's 120m shorter)

PA bloated government with unconscionable rate increases every year to reward inefficiency and waste.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:36 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
The Ohio Turnpike is a shining example how to run a well maintained cost effective travelway that benefits taxpayers. In contrast, the PA Turnpike is an insanely expensive, bloated, terrible condition road that nobody can afford to use.
The reason the PA Turnpike is expensive is because our no brain state legislature requires the Turnpike to payout half a billion dollars a year of its revenue to PennDOT.

Overall though the PA Turnpike is quite a nice stretch of road. Ive had people from the midwest tell me, it was the most impressive road they have ever been on, and could not believe how nice the rest stops were.

I think we take it for granted because to us having that level of amenities is normal. But to many it is not. It does cost a premium, and the auditor general is trying to figure out how to solve that problem. But knowing our legislature they will concoct some truly band aid idea to steal revenue from one source to hold up the cards for another.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:38 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I ran across a post on CD recently where a poster from Pittsburgh said that "Pittsburgh natives hate going to Ohio" and they prefer the East Coast so I decided to go to the source, which is you guys. Now, I'm from Cleveland and I never heard people from Cleveland disparage Pittsburgh to my knowledge. The only thing I've Cleveland people just talk trash about the Steelers, and I don't know if any people from Pittsburgh disparaged Cleveland. Is it true that most people from Pittsburgh hate Ohio?
I love Ohio. Your state needs to build a bullet train going from Youngstown to Pittsburgh so I could commute to work.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:43 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
Hmmm. I would say Pittsburgh in general gets annoyed when others refer to it as being a midwest city, when it in fact it has more alliances and similarities with an East Coast city than a Midwest city.

Also a bit of the Penn State v. Ohio State mentality comes into play.

Parts of PA and OH are fairly similar; but overall the differences are quite notable, and I think Pittsburghers hold on to those differences.

I know I really despise Ohio State and maybe that is why Ohio just doesn't do it for me. Im not sure. I just am really into PA, so between the 2, I have no desire to go to OH. Maybe the same reasons why people in Southeast PA trash S. NJ.

Last edited by rowhomecity; 02-06-2018 at 12:57 PM..

Old 02-06-2018, 12:44 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,439,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I love Ohio. Your state needs to build a bullet train going from Youngstown to Pittsburgh so I could commute to work.
Speaking of that, Ohio's old governor Ted Strickland was planning to do that, but once John Kasich got in he nixed it because he claimed he wanted to cut spending. He's one of those Lehman Bros, coal-is-still-the-way type of guys.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:46 PM

595 posts, read 599,985 times
I'm originally from Ohio. I live in Pittsburgh. I trash talk Ohio, haha.

Same way people that are from Pittsburgh that have moved elsewhere probably trash talk Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh