Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 09:31 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times

Advertisements

Oakmont is a borough on the south bank of the Allegheny River, north of the city of Pittsburgh. Indeed, due to the steep topography of the south bank of the Allegheny, it and neighboring Verona are the only significant riverfront communities on this side of the Allegheny between the City (or, more properly, Lawrenceville) and New Kensington).

Oakmont's earliest settlement dated back to 1816, when a local farmer bought a large track of land in the area. The settlement took its name from a landmark tree which was then on the bank of the Allegheny River. The settlement did not, however, incorporate until 1889. Most of its significant growth was finished by the 1920s, although some mid-20th century development did take place on the fringes of the borough. Oddly although Oakmont has an active historical society - even a local museum - they don't provide any sort of general writeup of the history of the borough, although there are video links to particular events in Oakmont's history.

Oakmont is set up as a classic "railroad suburb," with the old Allegheny Valley Railroad passing right through the center of the town, with even historic (but now non-functional) railway stops remaining in place. The business district itself was mostly built in the early 20th century. It's a bit broken up due to the railroad splitting the main street in two. The "upper" district - on the east side of the railroad tracks, is a brick-paved street and quite attractive. There's even a local movie theater still in operation. Many businesses are in the "lower district" as well, including the locally famous Oakmont Bakery. The built environment of the borough, befitting its age, is mostly streetcar suburban closer to the business district, and more truly suburban in its fringes. It seems like the areas closer to the river may have historically been a working class neighborhood.

Oakmont is currently seeing significant new development as a result of the Edgewater development in its southwestern quadrant. This area has been around 20 years in the making, but has resulted in dozens of densely packed new-constructions single-family homes, townhouses, and apartments being added to the borough, along with some new retail. As a result of this, Oakmont is almost certain to gain population this decade for the first time in 50 years. The general high quality of the housing stock, along with the presence of a walkable business district, also makes it a rarity in suburban Pittsburgh which is very desirable to some people. However, the distance from the city, and relatively poor commuting options do hurt the borough. If the AVRR commuter rail project had truly gotten off the ground, it would have been a real shot in the arm for the borough. In addition, Oakmont is somewhat hurt in comparison to other walkable middle-class towns in the county by the perception that the school district it shares with Verona (Riverview) is mediocre and going downhill. Still, on the whole, it has a brighter future ahead of it than neighboring municipalities, and should be a stable and desirable area for many area residents for decades to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 09:41 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
It has some new high end construction taking place near the river. A couple decent restaurants and it's very own movie theater! Years ago when Gulf Labs had a presence across the river, a lot of moneyed people lived there. Definitely a walkable community.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:39 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
New construction hopefully will not take away the classic charm and appeal of Oakmont.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:13 AM

994 posts, read 900,605 times
I like Oakmont. It is where I 'would' have lived had it not been for the length of time it takes to get to Oakland or downtown via public transit. Maybe that has changed?

Old 02-13-2018, 08:24 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
I like Oakmont. It is where I 'would' have lived had it not been for the length of time it takes to get to Oakland or downtown via public transit. Maybe that has changed?
oakmont really does have the aesthetics of the nicest areas in the city. same with Churchill, etc. commute and school district, to a degree, hurts them.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:45 AM

969 posts, read 771,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
oakmont really does have the aesthetics of the nicest areas in the city. same with Churchill, etc. commute and school district, to a degree, hurts them.
I love the look of Oakmont, but I'm not a fan of Churchill. What parts do you find aesthetically pleasing?

Old 02-14-2018, 10:18 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
I love the look of Oakmont, but I'm not a fan of Churchill. What parts do you find aesthetically pleasing?
looking at churchills boundaries i don't think that is the area i was thinking of. it is more like forest hills around edgewood road.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:52 AM

436 posts, read 342,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
It has not! We are totally in love with Oakmont, but meet me any day along Freeport Road around 4:45-5:00pm, and if you want to sit in that nonsense, you're welcome to it

Old 02-14-2018, 11:18 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
The paczki at Oakmont Bakery are divine!

Old 02-14-2018, 12:52 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
The paczki at Oakmont Bakery are divine!
Funny there's nobody in Polish Hill selling them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh