Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 10:51 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times

Advertisements

It was the West End landslide mess. I often use the West End route to avoid the tunnel. I used the Parkway instead. I think it has been cleaned up and is open again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 10:51 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,393,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
I attribute to less people using public transportation. My relative traveled parkway west daily for 40 years and claims it was nowhere close to as bad as it is now. Traffic jams really don't end until 7:30 pm weekdays. Weekends are almost as bad lately.
There has been a lot of development over the last 40 years in the airport corridor to cause this congestion, I do have to agree it is at it's worst right now.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:38 PM

436 posts, read 343,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
It was the West End landslide mess. I often use the West End route to avoid the tunnel. I used the Parkway instead. I think it has been cleaned up and is open again.
I hope you are right. I'm leaving in less than an hour, and I'm ready to not spend 11 minutes to go one mile on a sunny day with dry roads, just like last Friday

Old 03-05-2018, 02:08 PM

68 posts, read 53,500 times
Hopefully the parkway isn't widened. The solution to traffic is not encouraging more people to drive cars. It is now well understood that widening highways does not lessen congestion. It only increases the number of people in the congestion. The reason for that is that traffic will expand to fill the new road until it reaches the same level of unbearable congestion. From an economic standpoint, road expansion can be beneficial to the city. However it won't shorten your commute.

Instead, I would prefer to see employment and housing located closer together, with higher density housing and increased transit options. Instead of offering incentives to suburban office parks, offer incentives for transit oriented development. It is suburban office parks and highways that have created our current lifestyle. That lifestyle is defined by stressful and mind numbing commutes twice a day.

Thankfully, millennials predominately share this philosophy. They don't want to waste their days commuting to and from work. Nor do they want to work in sterile office parks. Generally, they would prefer to see their tax dollars spent on transit than on highways.

Ironically, my commute is an hour drive each way. Maybe that's why i lust for a job 20 minutes away by bike or bus.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:13 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfiler View Post
Hopefully the parkway isn't widened. The solution to traffic is not encouraging more people to drive cars. It is now well understood that widening highways does not lessen congestion. It only increases the number of people in the congestion. The reason for that is that traffic will expand to fill the new road until it reaches the same level of unbearable congestion. From an economic standpoint, road expansion can be beneficial to the city. However it won't shorten your commute.

Instead, I would prefer to see employment and housing located closer together, with higher density housing and increased transit options. Instead of offering incentives to suburban office parks, offer incentives for transit oriented development. It is suburban office parks and highways that have created our current lifestyle. That lifestyle is defined by stressful and mind numbing commutes twice a day.

Thankfully, millennials predominately share this philosophy. They don't want to waste their days commuting to and from work. Nor do they want to work in sterile office parks. Generally, they would prefer to see their tax dollars spent on transit than on highways.

Ironically, my commute is an hour drive each way. Maybe that's why i lust for a job 20 minutes away by bike or bus.
i generally agree with you here. but like you said, desire doesn't always match up to circumstance or finance.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:31 AM

436 posts, read 343,226 times
Got home 25 minutes earlier than I had been all last week. ALTHOUGH, while traveling the "east" portion, the one and only digital sign near downtown read "Squirrel Hill Tunnel, 4 miles, 26 minutes". Thankfully I can get off at Forbes avenue. Very frustrating though, there's no other reason for that long of a back up other than people slowing to 20 mph all the way down to a complete stop to allow people to merge. I don't know why people do this.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:56 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,802 times
Quote:

It is exactly this thinking which is ruining this country. It is government trying to control what people do. There is a cost to all those people spending all that additional time commuting. Government exists to serve the people not control them.

By the way, if your convoluted logic was true, why is the Parkway North so much more congested since the HOV lanes are closed?

Old 03-06-2018, 07:58 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Either pony up with higher taxes (as I would also be willing to pay), or stop complaining about traffic congestion borne from years of poor long-range regional urban planning that favored plotting out zillions of low-density subdivisions that funneled onto a four-lane highway. It may not be a popular opinion, but it’s my own and what I’m sticking with. There are so many problems here that continue to exist due to “lack of funding.” The only way to get more funding is through additional taxation. With Pittsburghers having the “taxation is theft” mindset that tells me they don’t really care about fixing anything, so they can continue to sit in traffic without complaining.
Our gas tax is already a job. Why is gas $0.50 lower in Ohio? Why is our Turnpike one of the most expensive toll roads in the country?

Old 03-06-2018, 08:10 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,698,423 times
Quote:

Good comment and right on the mark. I once read that widening roads and building more highways to "relieve congestion" is like an obese man getting another notch on his belt because it's become too tight.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:13 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
Our gas tax is already a job. Why is gas $0.50 lower in Ohio? Why is our Turnpike one of the most expensive toll roads in the country?
Because PA's income tax is a flat 3% and Ohio does a better job with a progressive income tax so that higher income people pay more (it maxes out at 5%). I'm glad you think this is a better idea, but it is certainly more fair than using the Turnpike revenues to substitute for taxes as a way of paying for other roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh