Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 11:46 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,974,031 times

Advertisements

How do we feel about this? Is it considered a breach of etiquette. I know a lot of Pittsburghers feel they have the right to park curbside in front of their homes (on public property), but what is the general consensus about walking dogs on private property?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 12:08 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,903,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
How do we feel about this? Is it considered a breach of etiquette. I know a lot of Pittsburghers feel they have the right to park curbside in front of their homes (on public property), but what is the general consensus about walking dogs on private property?
No. Absolutely not. Never. And I am a dog lover.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:08 PM

14,354 posts, read 17,052,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
If you're talking about sidewalks, even though it is the homeowner's responsibility to maintain them, they are actually part of the public right of way. I actually think our front retaining wall is in the public ROW as well, and our property only starts a few inches further back.

If you're talking about the actual yards, I'm shocked people do this, but I know very little about dogs.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:10 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,705,852 times
No way. Though I'm ashamed that as a kid I let my dog poop everywhere, didn't pick up, etc. God will hopefully forgive me

Old 11-29-2017, 12:14 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,921,054 times
Do you mean actually walking into someone's yard with a dog or the dog going off the sidewalk a foot or so into the grass to sniff? If the second, then I am guilty. I always strive to get my dog to do his business on the tree lawn, but he often sniffs around on the house side of the sidewalk too.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:18 PM

I’m talking about the dog walking, and occasionally doing its business on private property. It happens all the time on my block, and I’ve never said anything to anyone about it, because when I see them they clean up after their dogs occasionally I find the remnants in my lawn.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:45 PM

271 posts, read 332,468 times
Get a sign that says "no poop" zone or something to that effect, if you don't want them on your lawn. I have a neighbor who has one, and I respect that request. That said, given that my neighbors treat the roads like the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and my township doesn't have sidewalks, I still end up in that yard on occasion to avoid becoming roadkill.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:09 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,963,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Do you mean actually walking into someone's yard with a dog or the dog going off the sidewalk a foot or so into the grass to sniff? If the second, then I am guilty. I always strive to get my dog to do his business on the tree lawn, but he often sniffs around on the house side of the sidewalk too.

Seriously, the first 3 feet of the lawn is pretty much a universal city/borough easement. Dogs poop and pee on grass. Get a low shrub if you really want to keep dogs off the 3 feet section of lawn.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Seriously, the first 3 feet of the lawn is pretty much a universal city/borough easement. Dogs poop and pee on grass. Get a low shrub if you really want to keep dogs off the 3 feet section of lawn.
I have about 20 feet of setback, and I’ve found dog poop more than half the way back. I don’t own or particularly care for dogs, nor do I believe I should have to get a fence or shrubs.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:33 PM

19,829 posts, read 9,392,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSantoRules View Post
Get a sign that says "no poop" zone or something to that effect, if you don't want them on your lawn. I have a neighbor who has one, and I respect that request. That said, given that my neighbors treat the roads like the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and my township doesn't have sidewalks, I still end up in that yard on occasion to avoid becoming roadkill.
I agree. I walk my dog but will respect the owner's "no pooping zone" signs or if they ask me to not let her poop on their lawn.

That being said, I am surprised that if there are not areas set aside for dogs to relieve themselves in neighborhoods, that some people seem to expect the owners to just let their dogs just poop on the sidewalks or in the streets.

However, I think a lot depends on just the attitude of most people where you live. Dog walking is the "norm" in our neighborhood -- I would say that about 90% of our neighbors have dogs -- and even though we all have yards, dogs do not always "hold it" until they are back home; and in the more than five years we have lived here, I have only had one unpleasant encounter because my dog walked on someone's lawn (she did not relieve herself on it!) -- and, yes, she was leashed!

Btw, the last time I read a thread like this one, it turned into a snarling, snarky, insult-filled contest between those will put up with some dog misbehavior and those who won't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh