Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2018, 10:27 AM

18 posts, read 10,559 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for recommendations for outdoor lighting contractors in Fox Chapel.

I don't want an overly landscaped/lighted environment, but would like to see my sidewalk at night. The two contractors we've talked with are a little too over the top for me. We'd like just some simple hardwired pathway lighting and a light post.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 09:22 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statistician_5 View Post
I'm looking for recommendations for outdoor lighting contractors in Fox Chapel.

I don't want an overly landscaped/lighted environment, but would like to see my sidewalk at night. The two contractors we've talked with are a little too over the top for me. We'd like just some simple hardwired pathway lighting and a light post.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
You could probably just go solar these days. Of course if you are in The Borough, you might have total tree cover. I usually run the lines myself and have someone hook them up. They make wires that are made for underground. If you have no interest in DIY projects then you probably have to pony up. If you PM me, I could probably get someone for you that won't rob you blind with the FC markup crap.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:10 PM

Thanks. Not sure that solar would work due to tree cover...wonderful except in the fall.

We've considered running the lines and actually like to do things ourselves. The problem is finding time to do it (and to be honest I'm a bit nervous about the hubby and live electricity).

Finding someone without the markup would be a plus. It amazes me how that works. When I do consulting, I don't charge large companies with deep pockets a different rate than the poor academic getting by on grants. It's the same work, it's the same price.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:33 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
(and to be honest I'm a bit nervous about the hubby and live electricity).
That's why there's life insurance.

Quote:
When I do consulting, I don't charge large companies with deep pockets a different rate than the poor academic getting by on grants. It's the same work, it's the same price.
I charge more for large companies. I view it as discounting the academic work. Easier to keep add new skills and such that way.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:50 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,392,312 times
I did not take in account the job location when I bid jobs when I first started but I found I was loosing work in the affluent areas because I was the low bidder, I started adding a larger amount of markup to my bids in those areas and my percentage of signed jobs has increased dramatically.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:56 PM

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your view), the area I work in is so specialized that we all know each other. And everyone knows what they are getting for the price. We found that companies were subcontracting academics to get work done at the "cheaper" rate, and thus putting one additional step (and one additional ego) in the mix. As an academic myself, it felt very shady to perform a task under the guise of "academic research" only to find out that it's actually being used for profit.

As for life insurance, we do have it. But I do actually like my husband and I think I'll keep him around a bit longer!

Old 03-22-2018, 12:59 PM

433 posts, read 287,365 times
I would suggest going to a Lowes or Home Depot and looking at their selection of exterior lighting. This might give you a better handle or expectation of costs, for the materials anyway. This way, you will only need to compare installation prices of contractors. Also, you could ask a salesperson(could be very helpful & knowledgeable or just a warm body)to suggest contractors. At least this way, the project wouldn't seem so open-ended.

The Lowes at the Mills Mall and Home Depot in the East End don't have the best selection. I'd try Monroeville as they have good sized stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: