Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 10:00 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times

Advertisements

My 26 year old son has friends who just rented a place in Dormont. My 20 something hairdresser rented there before they had kids. Since you seem to like it, you might want to check out apartments there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 11:39 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh-Help View Post
The main reason why I chose the South Hills was due to the easy commute and because I always read all nightlife was in the South Side. Didn't realize I could get to Moon within 30 minutes and Lawrenceville was popular also.

I'll definitely check out ParkView. Would you say there's anywhere else to look over there?
There's a particular brand of early 20s nightlife in the South side, absolutely, but there's more and more to do in Lawrenceville, the Strip district, downtown, and even the Northside itself these days. It's worth checking out, anyway.

I don't know another apartment complex like Parkview in this area that has elevator buildings, a parking lot, and a website like that. There are plenty of small landlords in this area that rent apartments, though, and so it's worth looking around. Allegheny West, Mexican War Streets, Manchester, and Deutschtown are the main flat, walkable areas where I would look first (you might also see places listed as central North side or lower North side; those are more general terms that basically cover these neighborhoods); there's a range of prices for rentals here that mainly have to do with the condition of the building.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:15 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,892,853 times
Stick with Moon. The city can't manage 2 inches or more of snowfall. A 20 minute commute will easily become 60 minutes. Google Mt. Washington plowing.

I would avoid the North Side. We visited the revitalized Deutschtown one evening to check it out. The neighborhood was dead and run down. Moon and Robinson have more to offer.

Last edited by bluecarebear; 03-19-2018 at 02:28 AM..

Old 03-19-2018, 06:38 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
If you actually enjoy going out a pretty decent amount (bar, dinner, participating in things like PSL) and like to be more in tune with people your age do not live in Moon. You will be bored out of your mind. Granted you can to work in 10 mins but going out to South Side on the weekends (I imagine that is a $25 or more Uber ride one way) will be a miserable experience.

I think your best bet is to split the difference. Places like Mt. Washington, Dormont, and Brookline would work. I have a friend who commuted to Moon from Brookline for years. He used side streets to Greentree then took the parkway from there. If traffic was bad, there are a few other options with Carnegie and Crafton. You learn what works best. Granted Brookline by no means has nightlife for someone your age (or any age) but it's business district has your basics covered and you can get to South Hills shopping pretty easily (Target/Mall/WF/Trader Joes) and can get to the South Side for around $8-10 in an Uber. I would however recommend Mt. Washington where you can walk to Shiloh for you, city access to the city for fun, and then a "tolerable" commute.

Keep in mind this all depends on what you do with your time outside of work. At your age, I spent my weekends in bars, participating in Pittsburgh Sports League activities, weeknight dinners with friends, and running in the city. If you are not into those things, then Moon would work for you but it is a very suburban experience. Yes it has a lot of shopping, yes the streets may be plowed more effectively, but it's all a trade off. I used to commute to Moon from Shadyside when I was your age and, although I wouldn't suggest that, my time in my neighborhood in the evenings and weekends was better than it ever would have been living in Moon. It all depends on whether you work to live, or live to work. I would rather put some time in on my commute and have an easier time outside of work doing the things I enjoy than just living a life to ensure a 10 min commute to work but a 30 min drive to fun.

FYI...I have also lived at Hyland Hills, and I would try to find someplace different if possible. They are very cheaply built and you can hear your neighbor flush their toilet.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:39 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,914 times
If you want to live in a suburban/exurban strip mall nightmare with a bunch of families, the by all means check out the car-friendly developments of Robinson/Moon. Otherwise don't pay much attention to what people who don't live anywhere near the city have to say about it. They simply don't know what they are talking about.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:40 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,592 times
I have to agree with the others here that Mt Washington is probably going to be the best fit. Stay within a fairly short walk of Shiloh st and you will probably love it.

Commute to moon is fairly painless. ( you still have to drive the parkway, but at least no tunnel traffic)
you have all basic amenities and a small local nightlife scene in walking distance.
you can take the incline and T into town or to the north shore without having to drive
you are only a few minute drive or uber to the south side for bar hopping.

having lived in Mt Washington for 6 years, and for nearly 2 of those years I commuted to Moon myself, Id think its about as close to a perfect fit/compromise as you are going to find.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Stick with Moon. The city can't manage 2 inches or more of snowfall. A 20 minute commute will easily become 60 minutes. Google Mt. Washington plowing.

I would avoid the North Side. We visited the revitalized Deutschtown one evening to check it out. The neighborhood was dead and run down. Moon and Robinson have more to offer.
Deutschtown in particular has half of its main street under construction right now, with new restaurants coming in, and unfortunately there isn't a new tenant for the old James Street gastropub yet. There are nice coffee shops there and a good microbrewery, but for a more lively scene you have to go to Western Ave, or the North Shore, or Wigle and Threadbare in Spring Garden, or over to the Strip district or downtown. The fact that you didn't know this, and that you come on here to report that a literal construction zone is "run down", is a good reminder that you don't actually live here and are not a reliable source of information about this particular neighborhood.

I have never tried to find nightlife in Moon myself, so I will let others respond on that front. But one basic lifestyle question we all have to ask, OP included, is whether they want to be in the city or in a suburb.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:53 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh-Help View Post
The main reason why I chose the South Hills was due to the easy commute and because I always read all nightlife was in the South Side. Didn't realize I could get to Moon within 30 minutes and Lawrenceville was popular also.

I'll definitely check out ParkView. Would you say there's anywhere else to look over there?
Keep in mind, though, that Moon is almost directly west of the city center--it's not in the South Hills.

I'm wondering if someplace like Brighton Heights would be an option, too. Cross the river to get to work, and you're close to the North Hills shopping/dining, and not too far from the North Side and even the Strip for more nightlife.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Keep in mind, though, that Moon is almost directly west of the city center--it's not in the South Hills.

I'm wondering if someplace like Brighton Heights would be an option, too. Cross the river to get to work, and you're close to the North Hills shopping/dining, and not too far from the North Side and even the Strip for more nightlife.
I wondered about that too -- or whether there were cute apartments in Bellevue, Avalon, etc? Depending on what sort of city/suburb balance they want. But these are mostly areas where I know young families; the recent college grads (at least, my own former students from Pitt that keep in touch after graduation) mostly stay in the city.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:52 AM

219 posts, read 157,755 times
I worked in Moon Township for several years and commuted there from Mt. Oliver, the Mexican War Streets, and Avalon. The Avalon commute was by far the easiest via either 65 or 79 while all three options allowed easy access to restaurants, clubs, cafes and other nightlife/entertainment options. I now live in Avalon,work downtown, and head into all parts of the city very frequently for food and entertainment. At six miles from both the city and Sewickley (a community across the river from Moon Twp., just to let the O.P. know where it it), Avalon or Bellevue might be perfect for the O.P.'s needs and wants even if the area itself isn't trendy in the least. The latter might change a bit when the new brewery opens on Lincoln Avenue, but for now, Bellevue and Avalon are simply mostly safe and affordable inner ring suburbs where most basic needs can be met either in the neighborhood via a short drive to McKnight Road

I highly doubt that the OP would be willing to live in Mt. Oliver, although finding affordable housing would be a breeze. :-) One bedrooms don't come up too often here in Avalon/Bellevue, but I do have coworkers who rent a very nice two-bedroom in one of the area apartment complexes (with off street parking, no less) for less than $700 per month. At that price, the O.P. could just use the spare bedroom as either an office, a workout space or for the occasional guest.

An added bonus for the O.P. who doesn't want to drive a manual tranny on our unplowed hilly roads: 65 is an emergency snow route, which means that it gets first priority in terms of being cleared (and being kept clear) in the wintertime.

Last edited by Twenty Years in the Burgh; 03-19-2018 at 11:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh