Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 06:14 AM

20 posts, read 17,862 times

Advertisements

Thank you kewl and penguinsfan. You guys couldn’t have articulated that any better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 07:15 AM

133 posts, read 98,305 times
My Drs at UPMC saved my life. I had world class superior health care which is why I’m alive after 4 years of having had stage 4a cancer. However that being said...they don’t pay well and there is high turnover. Just those two facts should make you wary. Just don’t get trapped here. Like others said, have a exit plan. It’s this way everywhere. Try citizens bank ! Lol! They were cruel to me. I seen people during my training crying who were vets and taking in the elevator. I seen way too much to know that no matter where you go here in Pgh. It’s stressful. After going through a life threatening illness, the extra mo rt is not WORTH it. Unless I had to work, I rather have more years on earth enjoying what is free and what is worth my time. Good luck to you.
FYI... check out there online assessment test. It will give you the heads up on what they expect from you. Your to be 100 percent perfect, if your not, your lose that 10-15 hourly paycheck. After reading the assessment, my heart went out to people starting out in these types of jobs. Slave drivers.

Last edited by KimberlyAnn53; 04-06-2018 at 08:23 AM..

Old 04-06-2018, 02:23 PM

133 posts, read 98,305 times
If you readthe questions one must answer before even being selected an interview ( on their hiring site)your see they do not want people who have depression and or anxiety and who knows what other disorders people struggle with. This must be their weeding out process. For someone like myself who has panic disorder and depression as well as a post cancer survivor, I doubt someone like me would never even get an interview. Which leads me to think this disability act is a joke. I’m sincerely hope I’m wrong.

Old 04-07-2018, 06:20 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPittsburgh View Post
I suppose this question can only be answered by someone who worked there. But is it the kind of place that stands out in a persons resume? Transitioning to a new city is tough and I kinda need to take what I can get — but it would be good to know that it’s the kind of company/experience that makes me stand out to other employers should I need to jump ship.
UPMC offers many short term positions which draw individuals from across the country looking for experience. There is a lot of transition and turnover at UPMC. I get mixed reviews about the salaries from my friends who work at UPMC. All have left the city hospitals and are working in the suburbs. According to them, the city hospitals are the worst places to work.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:08 PM

20 posts, read 17,862 times
One of the things that attracted me to the position was their offer of tuition assistance as well as career counseling. Anyone on here have knowledge of experiencing either of those benefits?

Old 04-09-2018, 04:48 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,053 times
Acceptance of the tuition assistance requires a service commitment from the employee. If the employee leaves before that service commitment, UPMC will recoup the education assistance.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:31 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Acceptance of the tuition assistance requires a service commitment from the employee. If the employee leaves before that service commitment, UPMC will recoup the education assistance.
I have first hand experience with this. I don't know if it's changed, but at the time it was a 12 month commitment from the time each class ended. So if you go for a 2 year degree, and leave a month after you graduate, you only owe them back 1 year's worth. There's also some impact on your taxes, but I forget exactly how that worked out.

The worst part for me was that there was no real path to get promoted internally once you completed the schooling. Internal transfers are capped at a 10% raise, or the bottom number of the pay grade for the new position if a 10% raise doesn't meet the minimum. It's not a great way to inspire loyalty when you can run out to some other company with your new degree or certification and get a much larger raise, even accounting for paying them back.

To answer the OP, I think it's 100% going to depend on your individual department. UPMC is such a large company that there are sure to be departments that are horrible, wonderful, and everything in between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh