Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 07:19 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
That British style of policing would never work in the US, given how heavily armed our criminal population is. But even within the United Kingdom, unarmed police are only on the mainland - in Northern Ireland, all of the cops are armed. In the Republic of Ireland, the majority of the Gardaí have been unarmed.. but read about how the Hutch-Kinahan feud is impacting Dublin.
As I see it, a lot of the problem with disproportionate force is not just because some cops are racist, crooked, or bullies, it's because they're human beings.

If you put people through training which instructs them to pull their guns and shoot to kill if they feel threatened, and you allow them to walk around with guns all the time, a certain proportion of them are going to respond to "false alarms" with deadly force when they get scared. The only way to circumvent this is to create some sort of system which requires enough hesitation from them that they can more calmly think through if it's worth pulling their gun, rather than firing on instinct.

This is, of course, a separate issue from the "blue wall" problem, which is a big problem as well. But IMHO that's a lot more difficult to handle given how tightly-knit most police forces are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 08:15 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
As I see it, a lot of the problem with disproportionate force is not just because some cops are racist, crooked, or bullies, it's because they're human beings.

The only way to circumvent this is to create some sort of system which requires enough hesitation from them that they can more calmly think through if it's worth pulling their gun, rather than firing on instinct.
Just remember, that hesitation could cost that officer his life. I know a lot of cops and what they deal with daily is nuts and most people wouldn't want to deal with any of it.

It isn't an easy puzzle. I am not a fan of the bully style cop stuff, but I just don't really see much of that. Heck what do you have to do to get pulled over these days in Pittsburgh? It seems like there is almost no policing anymore unless there is gunfire or a wreck.

I think a lot of cops will become "racist' because of the disproportionate amount of crime committed by the very small population of black residents in and around the city. Just turn on the news and it is shocking. I don't think police are going to fix that, it would have to be a cultural change from within the troubled neighborhoods, which I think it happening. I think things are changing for the better and crime will continue to drop on its own.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:26 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I think a lot of cops will become "racist' because of the disproportionate amount of crime committed by the very small population of black residents in and around the city. Just turn on the news and it is shocking. I don't think police are going to fix that, it would have to be a cultural change from within the troubled neighborhoods, which I think it happening. I think things are changing for the better and crime will continue to drop on its own.
I actually think the personal bigotry of individual cops is not the main issue. Several of the Freddie Gray police officers were black after all. I think the problem is basically systematic racism. We have a system which says if a black person gets killed by the police - particularly a young black person - it's no biggie and they won't face serious repercussions. This means that bully cops of all races know they can screw with young black males with impunity and never face consequences. And the other 90% of cops which are mostly on the straight and narrow will almost always cover for them out of solidarity.

Last edited by eschaton; 04-18-2018 at 09:19 AM..

Old 04-18-2018, 09:16 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
Quote:
I actually think the personal bigotry of individual cops is not the main issue. Several of the Freddie Gray police officers were black after all. I think the problem is basically systematic racism. We have a system which says if a black person gets killed by the police - particularly a young black person - it's no biggie and they won't face serious repercussions. This means that bully cops of all races know they can screw with young black males with impunity and never face consequences. And the other 90% of cops which mostly on the straight and narrow will almost always cover for them out of solidarity.
And this is why I say eff all of them.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:17 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
I actually think the personal bigotry of individual cops is not the main issue. Several of the Freddie Gray police officers were black after all. I think the problem is basically systematic racism. We have a system which says if a black person gets killed by the police - particularly a young black person - it's no biggie and they won't face serious repercussions. This means that bully cops of all races know they can screw with young black males with impunity and never face consequences. And the other 90% of cops which mostly on the straight and narrow will almost always cover for them out of solidarity.
When I replied to you, I left "it's because they are human beings". I left that there for a reason. If you are a cop and 9 out of 10 calls you get are in black neighborhoods, you are going to build up a data bank and then become more cautious when around black communities. Of course people will say, "they are supposed to be professionals". Revert back to "human beings".

I do think things are changing, but the data bank will take time to erase. Things are getting better though.

Anyway, the coverup is bad and pointing a gun is bad. I hope the police try to continually improve their force.

What ever happened to this?

https://trustandjustice.org/resource...lding-police-c

Old 04-18-2018, 09:31 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,100,231 times
Hey, remember when we had a chief who seemingly wasn't going to play good old boy policing and the rank and file and FOP both embraced him? Me either...

Old 04-18-2018, 10:30 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
You can't. I've tried. They're nearly universally heterosexual.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:25 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
You can't. I've tried. They're nearly universally heterosexual.
This post is both the funniest and most disturbing response I have ever read on here, keep up the good work.

Old 04-19-2018, 05:26 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I hope you don't convey this to the young people you work with. things shouldn't be sugarcoated, but kids are already at a disadvantage if they do not believe there are some adults in their world can be trusted, respected, and serve as role models, including the cops.

the previous chief tried to mend relations with the public. Schubert, who is a good person, i believe is continuing this. Sure, every chief in every city says that, but maybe it is happening.

Old 04-19-2018, 05:30 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
This post is both the funniest and most disturbing response I have ever read on here, keep up the good work.
I have my moments where I can outdo Copanut!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh