Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 07:32 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times

Advertisements

Rankin is a borough in the lower Mon Valley region of Allegheny County, close to the city of Pittsburgh. It borders Swissvale to the west and north, Braddock to the east, and has a small border (but no road connection) with North Braddock as well.

Originally part of the now-defunct Braddock Township, what is now Rankin was originally largely farmland. Its economic trajectory began changing in the mid 1800s, when Thomas Rankin purchased land along the Baltimore & Ohio railroad tracks from a local farmer who owned much of the area, Robert Hawkins. He established a "Rankin Station" which replaced the earlier "Hawkins Station." A cluster of homes sprung up around the station. Soon after the Duquense Forge Company relocated from Pittsburgh to the area, which would ultimately manufacture Civil War gunboats along with parts for the Panama Canal. In 1883 it was followed by Carrie Funace, and later American Steel & wire, and other smaller companies. Initially Rankin incorporated as "Rankin Station" in 1892, but two years later it changed its name to merely Rankin.

Rankin's "boom period" lasted from the 1890s to roughly 1930, when it peaked with nearly 7,500 residents. Today, it has only slightly over 2,000 residents. Over the same period, Rankin transformed from a predominantly white to an 80% black community. It is important to note however this was not an issue of "white flight" as it is typically understood. Rankin's white population (mostly Slovak, Ruthenian, and Italian by the early 20th century) lived in a relatively integrated fashion with black residents for the time period. Rankin's black population dates as far back to the 1890s, when they were initially brought up from the south as strikebreakers, and grew considerably during World War 1, when many of the white workers were drafted and the local factories needed a new source of labor to keep in operation. But after World War 2, the white population gained the economic means to move to new suburbs, while the black population largely did not, generally staying the same size or decreasing at a slower rate each decade. The white population which was left behind was disproportionately elderly pensioners, meaning the median household income of the borough as a whole has continued to fall, and the white population decline is now mostly people leaving for the graveyard, not the suburbs.

Today Rankin is in a pretty sorry state. While historically it was one of the heavier employment centers of the riverfront area is largely vacant (Carrie Furnace is often thought of as in Rankin, but actually in Swissvale). The borough also has only a few remaining commercial establishments (it never had many, people went to Braddock to shop in the old days) meaning the tax base is very limited. Since 2005, the tiny borough has had 10 homicides, with the eastern half (particularly the Hawkins Village housing project) particularly dangerous. Even though the terminus of the East Busway is very close, there are no pedestrian crossings, necessitating a roundabout walk to Braddock Avenue or Washington Avenue in Swissvale to utilize it.

Although less houses are missing and falling apart, I've often felt like Rankin is almost Braddock without the marketing - having all the same problems, but basically ignored and left to its own quiet decline. Its relatively isolated population means that barring a resurgence of Swissvale and/or Braddock and resulting spillover development, nothing is likely to change for decades to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 07:51 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
That place is a dump.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:14 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,393,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
That place is a dump.
It is by far the least dumpiest of the dumpy mon valley towns, except for Hawkins village

Old 04-16-2018, 09:14 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Our metro area needs places like Rankin---affordably-priced, transit-accessible, relatively safe (if you're not gang-bangin' or dealing dope). If I didn't have a city residency requirement for my job I'd consider moving to Rankin, buying a house there, fixing it up, and walking to Swissvale and Braddock for my business needs.

Not every place has to be "the next Lawrenceville". As someone who will likely peak at a $40,000/year salary in his career I'm grateful for the existence of places like Rankin, McKees Rocks, Elliott, and Knoxville, as a few examples, because it gives me hope I can still afford to buy a home someday.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:34 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Quote:
But after World War 2, the white population gained the economic means to move to new suburbs, while the black population largely did not, generally staying the same size or decreasing at a slower rate each decade. The white population which was left behind was disproportionately elderly pensioners, meaning the median household income of the borough as a whole has continued to fall, and the white population decline is now mostly people leaving for the graveyard, not the suburbs.
That is also the story of the city of Pittsburgh.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:59 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,065 times
There is a great sandwich place in Rankin called Emil's that still packs 'em in. It was featured in one of Rick Sebak's documentaries on WQED.

I've also seen fascinating historical photos of the building of the Rankin Bridge in 1950-ish. It was built right next to the old one, which had a little trolley station on the Whitaker side. The site of the Carrie Furnace is huge and also had a big Bethlehem Steel plant. I'll see if I can find those photos for a link.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:04 AM

133 posts, read 98,319 times
Not worth becoming an victim of a crime to eat a sandwich imho.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyAnn53 View Post
Not worth becoming an victim of a crime to eat a sandwich imho.
That is so far from accurate, but then again you made Mt lebo sound like a ghetto. I have rental houses in Rankin, stay away from the project and it is a perfectly safe neighborhood. You guys drool over swissvale and there is absolutely no difference between the two towns.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Our metro area needs places like Rankin---affordably-priced, transit-accessible, relatively safe (if you're not gang-bangin' or dealing dope). If I didn't have a city residency requirement for my job I'd consider moving to Rankin, buying a house there, fixing it up, and walking to Swissvale and Braddock for my business needs.

Not every place has to be "the next Lawrenceville". As someone who will likely peak at a $40,000/year salary in his career I'm grateful for the existence of places like Rankin, McKees Rocks, Elliott, and Knoxville, as a few examples, because it gives me hope I can still afford to buy a home someday.
Exactly, Rankin is close to the waterfront, close to the parkway, it has a fair amount of newer construction plus a lot of older homes in decent shape. It is a good place to purchase on a budget

Old 04-16-2018, 11:32 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,698,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

Best comment so far SCR ... There are towns for everyone's need. They all serve a purpose and I pray that they stay as safe as can be. If they have a turn around at some point all the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh