Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 10:30 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,895,370 times

Advertisements

My brother lives in Portland and my sister lives in Denver, and the other thing going on in places like that is Californians moving there to find a more reasonable cost of living.

Which is sort of what I see in Pittsburgh's future, with the Northeast Corridor substituting for California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 01:17 PM

570 posts, read 1,407,299 times
Think your right on BrianTH. Will be interesting to see how large a role this will play in Pittsburgh's marketing itself and in both golden triangle living and the typical residential sections.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:23 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,895,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Think your right on BrianTH. Will be interesting to see how large a role this will play in Pittsburgh's marketing itself and in both golden triangle living and the typical residential sections.
Just a guess, but I think the city and the suburbs will more or less benefit equally. Specifically, I think some people will be moving out looking for the sorts of historic urban neighborhoods that were once affordable in Northeast Corridor cities, and now are becoming unaffordable even for families with high household incomes. Others will be looking for a more modern suburban life, but without the two hours of commuting on congested highways before you can hope to reach affordable homes.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:04 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,259,082 times
According to the story I saw on the news last night, the population continues to move south and west.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:07 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,041,993 times
Quote:
According to the story I saw on the news last night, the population continues to move south and west.
Luv, no offense, but that sort of sums up the ENTIRE COUNTRY outside of Pennsylvania besides the Northeast. And we all know the Northeast isn't where people are moving. LOL!

So technically, that means, people are moving anywhere in the country other than the northeast! Lol.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:12 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,259,082 times
Yeah, that was kind of my point, LOL! But I do hope Pittsburgh revives, however that may be defined. Maybe not with a ton more people.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:27 PM

I agree. After living in the 'City of Angels', Palm Beach County Florida, and Atlanta, all high growth areas I can say You can keep your explosive growth, tied up freeways, unfamiliar residents, increased crime and continual development issues to your sunnybelt selves. Not that Idon't want 'measured growth' here in the burgh. I DO and I pray that the long loosing streak of population comes to an end soon. Mostly because I hate the media feeding frenzing off such headlines.
Honestly the fewer folks in what is still a 'major league city' makes all the amenties that much easier to enjoy. I know the critical low point has to be around the corner for some long standing institutions here. But don't you get the feeling that we are getting close to the low point of all this. I'll drink a revamped Iron City the day the population loss is announced as either being stopped or reversed in river city.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:57 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,041,993 times
Quote:
But don't you get the feeling that we are getting close to the low point of all this. I'll drink a revamped Iron City the day the population loss is announced as either being stopped or reversed in river city.
There isn't much doubt that it's coming to an end. Every year Pittsburgh's demographics get closer to the national average in terms of women of child-bearing age. Our young people are staying. The trends will reverse but I don't think Pittsburgh will ever be a boom town, we already did that once.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:41 PM

Here is to hoping we skip the boom town status. Nice slow to moderate growth is just fine in my book.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:45 PM

809 posts, read 2,401,503 times
There are homes in Pittsburgh for 300k that New York City urbanites would pay Millions of dollars for in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh