Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 06:33 AM

65 posts, read 54,947 times

Advertisements

Growing up, I was always taught to knock on people's doors and that they would come and open the door for you before entering their homes. This was so ingrained in me that it was a shock to recently move to Pittsburgh and discover that it is acceptable to just walk in the front door if it's unlocked.

Is this a Pittsburgh thing? If so, why?

Often times, couples friends would invite me or me and my fiancee over for a gathering and we would knock and be let in as normal. Then, as people started to show up, they would just walk in the front door and I'd be surprised that they were there when I didn't even know they had shown up.

Other times, I would host a dinner and people would just walk in the front door as well. I try to be gracious about it but it still surprises me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 06:39 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,697 times
Interesting.

When I was growing up it was very common to jsut walk into somone's house and most people didn't lock their doors. But that was in Connecticut and since Moving to Pittsburgh I have never seen anyone do that unless they were very close family or friends. The people who host the house cocerts I attend have people jsut walk in but they put a note on the door to tell people to do so.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:43 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,892 times
Depends, I always knock unless I know it’s a backyard thing and no one would hear me arriving or the host specifically tells me to come in when I arrive. I’ve never assumed I could just walk in to someone’s house unless there is some indication.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:44 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,260,804 times
Even if you're family or close with the person that invited you, it's best to knock first and wait. But knock hard, because some people (like me) are hard of hearing.

Old 05-07-2018, 05:54 AM

433 posts, read 287,434 times
You really need to knock unless it's understood by BOTH parties that it's okay not to. I always knock.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:31 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Interesting.

When I was growing up it was very common to jsut walk into somone's house and most people didn't lock their doors. But that was in Connecticut and since Moving to Pittsburgh I have never seen anyone do that unless they were very close family or friends. The people who host the house cocerts I attend have people jsut walk in but they put a note on the door to tell people to do so.
im interested in these house concerts. im guessing this is an among friends thing?

Old 05-07-2018, 09:25 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblerare View Post
Often times, couples friends would invite me or me and my fiancee over for a gathering and we would knock and be let in as normal. Then, as people started to show up, they would just walk in the front door and I'd be surprised that they were there when I didn't even know they had shown up.
Is this a party situation where guests are letting themselves in so the hosts don't have to keep going to the door, or is this just people walking in to someone else's home with no warning? The former I can get behind more than the latter, which is rude.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:42 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,393,123 times
Coming in to my place with out knocking will just give you a bruise on your head and a foggy recollection of what happened.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:27 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Interesting.

People did it in Beaver Falls, even back in the 90s. I think even close family or friends should knock unless you told them they could just come in. My daughters have our garage door code and do let themselves in; I've given it to other people on occasion.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:15 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Is this a party situation where guests are letting themselves in so the hosts don't have to keep going to the door, or is this just people walking in to someone else's home with no warning? The former I can get behind more than the latter, which is rude.
i think its as simple as that. the OP recently moved to pittsburgh and stated it was a "gathering". maybe they do not know the hosts' history that well. it could be that their hosts' gathering is basically a party, where mostly trusted friends will arrive and feel comfortable enough to let themselves in.

this is a little different than what the thread title led me to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh