Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 03:34 PM

31 posts, read 164,239 times

Advertisements

Hi, I live in Lebo and my sister lives in Dormont (6 blocks away). She just told me a story last week about how safe Dormont is.
However, you should be very careful about the parking situation, because many streets are overcrowded and require you to have a permit (easy for you, but not so convenient for your guests) to park during the weekdays.
Why don't you ask the people who live there now, plus the nearby neighbors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 03:36 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,435,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfer View Post
Are you serious?? If one lives in any other area of Mt. Lebo, near Bower Hill for example, they have absolutely no reason to go near or through Dormont. You can get north via 79 and the parkway.

Who's being serious? Bower Hill road ends on Washington road, about 2 blocks from Dormont. If you go to the main business district of Mt. Lebanon you are a stone's throw from Dormont. I can't imagine living in Mt. Lebanon and not knowing about Dormont. or Castle Shannon or USC or Scott Township

Old 05-09-2008, 03:44 PM

85 posts, read 334,117 times
I still don't agree that one should know that much about neighboring areas. A few streets maybe but I wouldn't expect someone to know the details of every area around them. that is silly.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:22 PM

522 posts, read 1,788,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfer View Post
I still don't agree that one should know that much about neighboring areas. A few streets maybe but I wouldn't expect someone to know the details of every area around them. that is silly.
Not "every other area"...Dormont and Mount Lebanon are connected at the hip. It's Tarentum and Natrona Heights, it's McKees Rocks and Stowe, it's Bloomfield and Friendship, it's Wilkinsburg and Penn Hills, it's oreos and milk.

But it really doesn't matter. Here's your answer...

As for safety: I wouldn't worry much. Crimes against property are slightly higher there than Mt. Lebo, as in car vandalism and break-ins, so I'd probably want a garage if I lived there. It would guarantee you a parking spot and keep your vehicle safer...and no scraping ice BONUS!

As for parking in general: Check out a satellite view on Google Maps. As soon as Lebo becomes Dormont the streets and houses instantaneously become much more dense. A quick look around shows many a car on the street. More people in less space=difficult street parking. It's not quite Southside bad, but it isn't great either. Get a garage.

Cap

Old 01-30-2009, 01:40 PM

14 posts, read 51,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
Personally, I'd look for a place in Mt. Lebo. Taxes are lower and you get more bang for your buck, particularly with the school district.
Taxes are higher in Mt. Lebo. Not sure where you got your facts from on that one.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:43 PM

I grew up in Dormont and lived 20 years of my life there. The crime in Dormont is almost non-existent. I wouldn't be worried about the crime truthfully. Some streets definitely have parking problems though, but it isn't like you won't find a spot. You just might have to park 5 or 6 houses down sometimes.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billkamm View Post
Taxes are higher in Mt. Lebo. Not sure where you got your facts from on that one.

Total millage in Dormont is 36.70, Mt. Lebo is 29.80, you do the math.

And don't even begin to compare the school districts.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
Total millage in Dormont is 36.70, Mt. Lebo is 29.80, you do the math.

And don't even begin to compare the school districts.
Not sure where your numbers appeared from, but I looked up the actual numbers online from the county and state websites. It appears in MOST cases you are correct. You will pay less money taxes in Mt. Lebo (unless of course you rent or make tons of money and have a low value house).

I must admit I am baffled as to why (and when) Dormont's property tax millage became the highest in the county. When my family first moved to Dormont it was significantly cheaper than Mt. Lebo. Oh well I don't even live in Allegheny County any more.

School District:
Keystone Oaks: 21.31
Mt Lebo: 23.81
Allegheny County Treasurer

Property Taxes:
Dormont: 14
Mt Lebo: 4.97
Allegheny County Treasurer

Local Income Tax
Dormont 1%
Mt Lebo 1.3%
Municipal Statistics Report Viewer
Municipal Statistics Report Viewer

Old 02-16-2009, 10:44 PM

If your figures are correct and you add the 4.69 Allegheny millage, Dormont hits 40 total, and Mt. Lebo 33.47, the same 7 mil gap.

I can only guess that there are more legacy costs in Dormont. But the cynic in me says it's because Dormont is run by Democrats.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:54 AM

807 posts, read 611,058 times
Default Don't forget that

Dormont is only about a quarter of the size of Lebo, and probably doesn't have many homes with assessments over 100k, let only 200k or 300k, or more (of which I am sure there are many in Lebo).

Accordingly, Lebo can raise enough funds to operate with a lower (but suprisingly, not that much lower) millage rate than Dormont.

Obviously, this is not a great marketing point for Dormont. There was a good article in the Post-Gazette a few years ago about communities that have entered a property tax "death spiral" -- a situation where homeowners flee a community with high property taxes, which, in turn, forces the community to raise rates again (because the tax base has contracted), forcing additional residents to flee (and so on and so forth). While the article focused on the usual suspects -- Wilkinsburg and a number of communities in the Mon Valley, both Dormont and Castle Shannon were mentioned as communities that could possibly enter such a spiral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh