Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 07:44 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times

Advertisements

Ross is a suburban township immediately to the north of the City of Pittsburgh. About 14.5 miles, Ross was at one point nearly perfectly square like several other North Hills townships, but early 19th century expansion of Allegheny City, and the 1909 incorporation of West View ate into it over time.

Ross was founded in 1809, when 31 residents of a portion of what was then Pine Township petitioned Allegheny County to form a new township. They chose the name Ross Township after a prominent local attorney, James Ross, who represented Western Pennsylvania at the convention to ratify the 1790 state constitution. Ross was also a state senator and a lawyer for George Washington. For much of its early history, Ross was best known as an area people passed through while traveling north. The modern-day Perry Highway was first known as the Venango Path, then later Franklin Road. Despite being close to city limits, the road was dirt until 1911, and not paved until 1929.

During the early, streetcar suburb period of Ross Township's history, the only densely developed part of Ross was an area in its southwestern corner near Bellvue, which was built out in a similar manner to the borough. The remainder of Ross was very rural with smaller areas of higher density like "Evergreen Hamlet," "Brookville" and (what's now Old) Perrysville. This changed with the rise of mass automobile ownership in the early/mid 20th century. In an 11 year period from 1938 to 1949 alone, Ross's population more than doubled, from 12,000 to 24,871. In the 50s, 60s, and 70s, the population further grew, with new suburban development in the northern half of the township causing the local population to peak at over 35,000 in 1980. After this the suburban growth boundary passed to the north of Ross, and the local population began to decline, albeit at a slow rate, with the Township having about 31,000 residents today.

Ross today is very diverse, and hard to stereotype about. As I mentioned, areas close to Bellvue can be very classic Pittsburgh "streetcar suburban." Much more of it is postwar suburbia. There's a few more modern townhouse communities tucked away as well, but the Google Car hasn't passed by any recently. The typical North Hills suburban building pattern - having the residential neighborhoods built on the hilltops, and the main commercial corridors down in the valleys - means there isn't a lot of continuity.

The commercial corridor that Ross is most known for is McKnight Road. The heavily built up section does stretch into McCandless as well, but Ross has many of the biggest developments, including the Ross Park Mall (probably the healthiest/most upscale mall in Allegheny County). Babcock Boulevard has a lot of smaller-scale commercial development mixed in with residential. Route 19 North has "Old Perrysville," which is actually decently laid out in terms of pedestrians, although there's relatively few people within walking distance. There is relatively little in the way off office parks or industrial parks in Ross.

Ross faces some challenges as a first ring suburb - mostly related to its older built infrastructure. While the types of homes in the township were very desirable when it was being built out, these homes are considered small and dated by many modern homeowners - particularly because the "starter home" concept isn't as widely held any longer, with many millennials looking to move straight from the city into their "forever home." Also, the general decline of brick-and-mortar retail provides a challenge to the local tax base. That said, Ross has done well compared to many other first-ring suburbs. Population decline is estimated to be low for this decade - no doubt in part due to the new Ryan Homes subdivision going in close to West View. And even though the desirability of Ross has seen a comparable decline, it hasn't had any issues with increasing crime rates like nearby Bellvue or Observatory Hill. Even the decline of retail may in the longer run be an asset for Ross, as it means there will be large parcels available for redevelopment along major bus routes in the future. Time will tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 07:57 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Ross is a suburban township immediately to the north of the City of Pittsburgh. About 14.5 miles, Ross was at one point nearly perfectly square like several other North Hills townships, but early 19th century expansion of Allegheny City, and the 1909 incorporation of West View ate into it over time.

Ross was founded in 1809, when 31 residents of a portion of what was then Pine Township petitioned Allegheny County to form a new township. They chose the name Ross Township after a prominent local attorney, James Ross, who represented Western Pennsylvania at the convention to ratify the 1790 state constitution. Ross was also a state senator and a lawyer for George Washington. For much of its early history, Ross was best known as an area people passed through while traveling north. The modern-day Perry Highway was first known as the Venango Path, then later Franklin Road. Despite being close to city limits, the road was dirt until 1911, and not paved until 1929.

During the early, streetcar suburb period of Ross Township's history, the only densely developed part of Ross was an area in its southwestern corner near Bellvue, which was built out in a similar manner to the borough. The remainder of Ross was very rural with smaller areas of higher density like "Evergreen Hamlet," "Brookville" and (what's now Old) Perrysville. This changed with the rise of mass automobile ownership in the early/mid 20th century. In an 11 year period from 1938 to 1949 alone, Ross's population more than doubled, from 12,000 to 24,871. In the 50s, 60s, and 70s, the population further grew, with new suburban development in the northern half of the township causing the local population to peak at over 35,000 in 1980. After this the suburban growth boundary passed to the north of Ross, and the local population began to decline, albeit at a slow rate, with the Township having about 31,000 residents today.

Ross today is very diverse, and hard to stereotype about. As I mentioned, areas close to Bellvue can be very classic Pittsburgh "streetcar suburban." Much more of it is postwar suburbia. There's a few more modern townhouse communities tucked away as well, but the Google Car hasn't passed by any recently. The typical North Hills suburban building pattern - having the residential neighborhoods built on the hilltops, and the main commercial corridors down in the valleys - means there isn't a lot of continuity.

The commercial corridor that Ross is most known for is McKnight Road. The heavily built up section does stretch into McCandless as well, but Ross has many of the biggest developments, including the Ross Park Mall (probably the healthiest/most upscale mall in Allegheny County). Babcock Boulevard has a lot of smaller-scale commercial development mixed in with residential. Route 19 North has "Old Perrysville," which is actually decently laid out in terms of pedestrians, although there's relatively few people within walking distance. There is relatively little in the way off office parks or industrial parks in Ross.

Ross faces some challenges as a first ring suburb - mostly related to its older built infrastructure. While the types of homes in the township were very desirable when it was being built out, these homes are considered small and dated by many modern homeowners - particularly because the "starter home" concept isn't as widely held any longer, with many millennials looking to move straight from the city into their "forever home." Also, the general decline of brick-and-mortar retail provides a challenge to the local tax base. That said, Ross has done well compared to many other first-ring suburbs. Population decline is estimated to be low for this decade - no doubt in part due to the new Ryan Homes subdivision going in close to West View. And even though the desirability of Ross has seen a comparable decline, it hasn't had any issues with increasing crime rates like nearby Bellvue or Observatory Hill. Even the decline of retail may in the longer run be an asset for Ross, as it means there will be large parcels available for redevelopment along major bus routes in the future. Time will tell.

Great write-up as usual. I agree that housing stock isn't the best, but the market has been extremely hot so desirability is still apparent. The schools have also been growing and are climbing the rankings, so it seems they are doing something right. I think the area is set to benefit due to its close proximity to the city and affordability for those looking to buy a home in the area. Many still desire a smaller starter home in my opinion and this is supported by quick sales and increasing prices.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:57 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,540,417 times
I think this is a repeat. Lived there in the 90's, decent area and school district. Lived off Babcock Blvd near McKnight, great commute to the Bucco games. Mostly middle class with a lot of families.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:23 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,310,795 times
Great write up. I've always thought Ross was great. It is close to the city, has a lot of diversity in terms of income and real estate, and has great access to shopping. I never understood why real estate prices were lower than suburbs to the north but this thread explains the difficulties facing inner ring suburbs well. From looking at real estate sales, I think Ross is doing better than most inner ring suburbs though not as well as the suburbs to the north.

I hope Ross has a good future. I guess it is highly dependent on the retail stores on McKnight or having some other productive use of that land. I thought those stores were doing pretty well despite the general decline of retail stores.

One of the streets Eschaton linked is in the North Hills Estates in Ross. I love the community's architecture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I think this is a repeat. Lived there in the 90's, decent area and school district. Lived off Babcock Blvd near McKnight, great commute to the Bucco games. Mostly middle class with a lot of families.
I think this is going alphabetically. So it wouldn't be a repeat though there could have been other threads about Ross.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:55 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
Great write up. I've always thought Ross was great. It is close to the city, has a lot of diversity in terms of income and real estate, and has great access to shopping. I never understood why real estate prices were lower than suburbs to the north but this thread explains the difficulties facing inner ring suburbs well. From looking at real estate sales, I think Ross is doing better than most inner ring suburbs though not as well as the suburbs to the north.

I hope Ross has a good future. I guess it is highly dependent on the retail stores on McKnight or having some other productive use of that land. I thought those stores were doing pretty well despite the general decline of retail stores.

One of the streets Eschaton linked is in the North Hills Estates in Ross. I love the community's architecture.

I think this is going alphabetically. So it wouldn't be a repeat though there could have been other threads about Ross.
north hills estates is awesome. is that really considered standard postwar suburbia?

regardless, i think comparing prices to the northern areas isn't really fair due to relatively low lack of new builds and generally smaller houses. appreciation has been pretty good though it seems and prices are pretty similar to mccandless in the northern areas.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:55 AM

271 posts, read 331,993 times
Highland Estates -- a 320 home development (SFH and townhomes) at the former Highland Country Club -- is a fairly recent development project in Ross and seems to have had success.

To me Ross Township is to the North Hills what Scott Township is to the South Hills: a relatively safe, first-ring suburb with aging postwar housing stock and good schools that only look substandard when compared to neighboring districts (Hampton, NA, Pine-Richland, Mars in the North; USC, Mt. Lebo, South Fayette in the South). A decent place to land if you're priced out of the other districts.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:04 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,310,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSantoRules View Post
Highland Estates -- a 320 home development (SFH and townhomes) at the former Highland Country Club -- is a fairly recent development project in Ross and seems to have had success.

To me Ross Township is to the North Hills what Scott Township is to the South Hills: a relatively safe, first-ring suburb with aging postwar housing stock and good schools that only look substandard when compared to neighboring districts (Hampton, NA, Pine-Richland, Mars in the North; USC, Mt. Lebo, South Fayette in the South). A decent place to land if you're priced out of the other districts.
Interesting. I thought Highland Estates was in West View but I guess not. How much more undeveloped land that can be built on does Ross have? It would seem like that would help the town a lot.

I think there is another new (or maybe just finished?) upscale housing community called Sangree Farms in Ross based too. Here is one house for sale:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7_M43045-20857
Bennington Woods looks similar but I think it was built in the 1990s. I prefer the older housing communities like North Hills Estates and Wellington Heights (technically in West View) but I think it's good for the area to have these newer ones too.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:22 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,212 times
My old stomping grounds! I lived out there for a year or two and worked in the area. Back then, 60 years ago, the prevailing attitude, even if not talked about much, was if we made it out of the city we'd stepped up a notch. Off Babcock there was not much of a way to get back into the city except to drive. There was one bus which came from Grove City and back but just once a day. Not very convenient for city workers. Back then shopping was great on McNight road. I'd like to see it again.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:48 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,150,425 times
Great write up as always! I'm not always a big fan of suburbs but Ross is one I could live in with all of the services it has, some transit service, and relatively easy access to much of the city.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:41 PM

140 posts, read 256,087 times
I used to work back there on Babcock Blvd when I there (oh, the memories of the two-buses-plus-a-20-minute-walk commute each way...but those were fond times), meaning either the Ross Park Mall food court or the Sunoco up on the corner of Babcock and Siebert was my lunchbreak destination.

I only bring this up because prior to me taking that job up there (at what used to be Print Tech--it's since moved), I had no reason to know anything about that side of town (i stayed down in what was known as "Green Ghettos" at the time). But a friend of mine lived up in Perrysville and used to always mention to me about "McFright Road", and I used to always get a good chuckle out of that--until I got up there and saw it for myself. Then it began to make some sense.

Fun times...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh