Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 05:28 PM

4 posts, read 6,490 times

Advertisements

You might feel differently if you lived in a neighborhood where the houses are very close together. It's inconsiderate and selfish. Of course there are people who still think cigarette smoking should be allowed in public spaces--all about their personal freedom!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 05:31 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,959,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjburgh View Post
You might feel differently if you lived in a neighborhood where the houses are very close together. It's inconsiderate and selfish. Of course there are people who still think cigarette smoking should be allowed in public spaces--all about their personal freedom!
I lived in south side, it wasn’t a big deal, most of the time it smelled delicious when they did some good ash or pine.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:00 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjburgh View Post
I would never live so close together to put myself in that position. The noise would bother me more as I certainly like the smell of a wood burning fire.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:09 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,388,315 times
My neighbor down the street burns pallets, I have lung tumors and it kills me every time.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:06 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,898,379 times
ACHD - AQ Burn Facts

Here are the regs on open burning within the County.

No material other than clean wood, propane, or natural gas may be open burned EXCEPT for:
o Commercially available fire logs, paraffin logs, or wood pellets;
o Paper or commercial smokeless fire starters in order to start a fire;
o Charcoal for the preparation of food only.

 Fires may be no larger than 3’ wide by 3’ long by 2’ high.

 Fires must be at least 15 feet from the nearest neighbor’s dwelling or inhabited area, including:
o Property line
o Roadway
o Sidewalk
o Public access area

 Wood burning activities are prohibited on Air Quality Action days, with the exception of burning
for the commercial preparation of food

 Burning may be prohibited or reduced if it is considered a nuisance, based on the following
criteria:
o The severity of the amount of air pollutants;
o The duration or frequency of open burning;
o The topography of the surroundings;
o The meteorological conditions.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:19 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
I lived in south side, it wasn’t a big deal, most of the time it smelled delicious when they did some good ash or pine.
Agreed. nothing smells better or ignites the primal joy inside me like a real fire.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:43 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
nah, come on. It may be harmful, but you aren't standing there breathing it in for minutes at a time. You move around, you avoid it. The plume does not follow you. If you ARE engulfed in it, then sure, you might have a case when you ask your neighbor to move the fire pit, or erect some screen.

Smokers on downtown streets are WAY more hate worthy.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:55 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,388,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
nah, come on. It may be harmful, but you aren't standing there breathing it in for minutes at a time. You move around, you avoid it. The plume does not follow you. If you ARE engulfed in it, then sure, you might have a case when you ask your neighbor to move the fire pit, or erect some screen.

My neighbors fire will fill our valley with smoke, there is no way to avoid it.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:01 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:

I had a neighbor who, when he grilled food in his yard, the smell went right in my living room. I had to keep the windows closed. Unfortunately, I didn't realize it until the living room was already full of smoke and smell. (I'm not someone whose "primal joy" is tripped by fire.)
Quote:
At least equally hateworthy. I avoid Sixth Avenue and Smithfield Street as much as possible. Move it to the rooftops.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:12 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Exactly this.

If I was seriously so concerned about air quality, I wouldn’t pick Pittsburgh to live.
I wouldn't live in a city. If my health depended on it, I'd move further out. On the other hand, those people probably burn wood, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh