Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 07:56 AM

16 posts, read 51,474 times

Advertisements

We relocated to Pittsburgh a few years ago and have been renting on the East Liberty end of Shadyside. Our landlord is planning on putting our place on the market this summer, so we're starting to look buying options, and a lot of what I see on the market right now is in Upper Lawrenceville. While we've spent time on Butler St, we rarely venture past the cemetery, so I was wondering what's it like to live in that part of the neighborhood. Safe? We've gotten used to the walkability of where we are, so that's something that's important to us, as is an easy commute to downtown (where my husband works). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 08:03 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,697,252 times
Most anywhere is safe in Pittsburgh. What other areas are you open to living in? I still think the South Side flats is a great option. Your husband can even walk to work from there. Brookline, if you're planning on having kids. Manchester/North Side, my favorite area of the city.. So many options.

Old 12-11-2019, 08:08 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
I used to live in Upper Lawrenceville until a year ago, and while yes it is safe, I would absolutely not live there for what they are charging with rents. There is vastly less to do on the Butler part of Lawrenceville/10th Ward than the Central/9th ward area of the neighborhood, though all of Upper Lawrenceville is in walking distance of the local Shop n Save, so that was nice when you just needed a couple things and didn't have to get in the car.

Also commute wise, Upper LV is pretty bad IMO for as close as it is to Downtown because your options are driving/taking the 91 bus down Butler and then through the a Strip which is filled with lights and traffic galore in the morning or to drive across to 28 and deal with that mess, and then cross back at the Veteran's Bridge. I live in Bellevue now, and while miles wise it is further away from my work than what I used to be, the commute is still faster because it's just that much less of a mess than that part of the city.

If you have your heart set on Lawrenceville I would look more at the Central part of the neighborhood where there is a lot more to walk to in terms of places on Butler, and rents don't really look any more expensive overall according to Zillow. The commute would be faster too.

Last edited by bradjl2009; 12-11-2019 at 08:21 AM..

Old 12-11-2019, 08:28 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastNative View Post
We relocated to Pittsburgh a few years ago and have been renting on the East Liberty end of Shadyside. Our landlord is planning on putting our place on the market this summer, so we're starting to look buying options, and a lot of what I see on the market right now is in Upper Lawrenceville. While we've spent time on Butler St, we rarely venture past the cemetery, so I was wondering what's it like to live in that part of the neighborhood. Safe? We've gotten used to the walkability of where we are, so that's something that's important to us, as is an easy commute to downtown (where my husband works). Thanks!
Upper Lawrenceville is a bit less gentrified than the rest of the neighborhood, but the days of it being sketchy are like ten years in the past now. There still are some old-school yinzer types of course - generally more of them the further up the hill you go. And you might have to worry about people rifling through your car for loose change if you don't lock it at night - but that's an issue just about everywhere in the city.

In terms of Butler Street through Upper Lawrenceville, there's tons of things of interest. There's three coffee shops (Lazydaze, Black Cat Market, and Caffe d'Amore), two breweries (Hop Farm and Full Pint), B52 (a vegan middle-easternish breakfast/lunch cafe), Butterwood Bake Consortium (late night dessert place - I dunno how it stays open), Allegheny Wine Mixer, Lawrenceville Distillery, Blue Moon (gay bar), Spirit, Dive Bar & Grill, Remedy, Conley's, etc. There's a notable dearth of full-service restaurants (as opposed to daytime cafes or bars that serve food) though - particularly since Cure closed down. Zen is a pretty mediocre Chinese place. There's a pizza place (That's Amore). Dive, Spirit, and Remedy all serve food, IIRC.

That stretch of Butler Street is really heavy in terms of cute little boutiques for shopping though - places like Geology Rocks, Who New, City Grows, Von Walter & Funk, Three Pigs Collective, GreenSinner, Small Mall, ruhling//woven, etc.

Old 12-11-2019, 08:32 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
You have to like the businesses you can walk to if not that a location isn't really walkable.

I took the busway years ago and it was great. So easy. I think your husband might miss the busway.

Old 12-11-2019, 08:32 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Also commute wise, Upper LV is pretty bad IMO for as close as it is to Downtown because your options are driving/taking the 91 bus down Butler and then through the a Strip which is filled with lights and traffic galore in the morning or to drive across to 28 and deal with that mess, and then cross back at the Veteran's Bridge. I live in Bellevue now, and while miles wise it is further away from my work than what I used to be, the commute is still faster because it's just that much less of a mess than that part of the city.
You can also take the 87 to downtown from Upper Lawrencville - though I think in most cases it would take more time than the 91, since it's less of a straight shot since you go through Stanton Heights/East Liberty/Bloomfield before heading towards Downtown.

Also, if the OP's husband bikes, Upper Lawrenceville is a pretty good place for a bike commute into downtown. Those last few blocks up from Butler heading back home can be kinda hard work, but otherwise it's a nice flat ride, and you can always cross the 40th Street Bridge and ride the Allegheny Riverfront trail into downtown most of the way.

Old 12-12-2019, 08:37 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
In terms of Butler Street through Upper Lawrenceville, there's tons of things of interest. There's three coffee shops (Lazydaze, Black Cat Market, and Caffe d'Amore), two breweries (Hop Farm and Full Pint), B52 (a vegan middle-easternish breakfast/lunch cafe), Butterwood Bake Consortium (late night dessert place - I dunno how it stays open), Allegheny Wine Mixer, Lawrenceville Distillery, Blue Moon (gay bar), Spirit, Dive Bar & Grill, Remedy, Conley's, etc. There's a notable dearth of full-service restaurants (as opposed to daytime cafes or bars that serve food) though - particularly since Cure closed down. Zen is a pretty mediocre Chinese place. There's a pizza place (That's Amore). Dive, Spirit, and Remedy all serve food, IIRC.

That stretch of Butler Street is really heavy in terms of cute little boutiques for shopping though - places like Geology Rocks, Who New, City Grows, Von Walter & Funk, Three Pigs Collective, GreenSinner, Small Mall, ruhling//woven, etc.

I have friends who own the old Slaughter house property in that stretch. Jones Furniture design and Allegheny Aikido. (Big blue gates). They renovated it and moved in almost two years ago and are really enjoying living in that area.

Butterwood. I've been there at 10pm on a thursday a few times and it is always busy. Very unique cakes and good coffee.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:02 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,131,042 times
Keep in mind that a lot of what you see on the market right now is not a lot. Less people are looking to list before the holidays or deal with showings right now along with poor weather tracking inside. Come the new year and more likely early spring you should start to have a little more come to market. The past year there was not as much of an upswing in listings but hopefully this spring things even out to a more even buyer/seller market. What do you like around that is walkable right now? Maybe there are a few other areas that might give you some of what you want to consider as well?

Old 12-13-2019, 06:40 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Butterwood. I've been there at 10pm on a thursday a few times and it is always busy. Very unique cakes and good coffee.
Thank you for this positive review! We'll have to walk up there sometime to check them out! I've taken advantage of some of your recommendations in the past, so I trust your judgment!

Old 12-13-2019, 06:41 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Keep in mind that a lot of what you see on the market right now is not a lot. Less people are looking to list before the holidays or deal with showings right now along with poor weather tracking inside. Come the new year and more likely early spring you should start to have a little more come to market. The past year there was not as much of an upswing in listings but hopefully this spring things even out to a more even buyer/seller market. What do you like around that is walkable right now? Maybe there are a few other areas that might give you some of what you want to consider as well?
It seems like it's been a sellers' market in most of the area for quite some time now, actually, due to limited inventory. Homes priced reasonably (not exorbitantly) seem to be selling like hotcakes. In Polish Hill the only listings that languish are the ones that have astronomical asking prices (cough...$550,000 for a house on a crazy busy hilly street...cough).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh