Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 07:02 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,934,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
I completely disagree and look at all of the stories about Detroit’s population decline as an example. There has been significant and well documented media coverage of Detroit’s population decline.
The stories of Pittsburgh’s population decline were plentiful in the 80’s. Losing Less than a tenth of 1% of our population today is a blip... not a national news story.

Comparing what may happen here now to what happened in Detroit over a period of decades is silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 10:52 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,836,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
The stories of Pittsburgh’s population decline were plentiful in the 80’s. Losing Less than a tenth of 1% of our population today is a blip... not a national news story.

Comparing what may happen here now to what happened in Detroit over a period of decades is silly.
I completely agree, but do you think the news media cares about if something sounds silly or not? For some reason a few posters are equating my opinions of what I think the news media will do if Pittsburgh drops below 300,000 and what my opinions are of Pittsburgh. I truly believe that Pittsburgh is a thriving city and these population estimates and stories seem to fit some type of Rust Belt narrative that the media continues to perpetuate.

Old 05-26-2018, 12:36 PM

4,692 posts, read 8,991,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Psychologically I'm depressed to think that in 2018 we'll be a smaller city than Cincinnati and that by 2020 we could have under 300,000 residents.
I don't care if we are smaller than Cincinnati, as historically Cincy was the larger city. What bothers me is that we have been eclipsed by Tulsa and Wichita! Does it really matter how big Pittsburgh is, though? There are plenty of smaller cities that are more vibrant and vital than the bigger ones. Morgantown is a nice city and they only have 30k people. Savannah has < 150k people and they have more going on than cities with 500k.

Old 05-26-2018, 03:44 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,799,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
What bothers me is that we have been eclipsed by Tulsa and Wichita!

Old 05-26-2018, 04:37 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,294,556 times
Quote:
I don't care if we are smaller than Cincinnati, as historically Cincy was the larger city. What bothers me is that we have been eclipsed by Tulsa and Wichita! Does it really matter how big Pittsburgh is, though? There are plenty of smaller cities that are more vibrant and vital than the bigger ones. Morgantown is a nice city and they only have 30k people. Savannah has < 150k people and they have more going on than cities with 500k.
Our metro population is about triple Tulsa's and Omaha's

Old 05-26-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
Our metro population is about triple Tulsa's and Omaha's
Indeed. But we are talking about the population decline within the city limits in this thread, aren't we? And comparing city population trends to the size of other cities. I guess my point is to question if the size of the city limit population is even relevant, if an obviously smaller city such as Wichita has outpaced us in growth.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:50 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,743,450 times
Quote:
Indeed. But we are talking about the population decline within the city limits in this thread, aren't we? And comparing city population trends to the size of other cities. I guess my point is to question if the size of the city limit population is even relevant, if an obviously smaller city such as Wichita has outpaced us in growth.

city populations are not meaningful outside of government. Jacksonville is much bigger than Boston. does it mean anything in real life? no. growth does, but remember here we are talking about tenths of a percent of population drop (estimated, which is often wrong), and most due to a prison closing. All of it is well within the big margin of error. people have to get in touch with reality. Pittsburgh's population is basically stable, and its getting wealthier, younger, and more educated.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:03 PM

I was exploring Raleigh on Google Maps. It seems to be a pleasant if bland, kind of generic city. I couldn't find anything terribly unique about the architecture, layout, or urban neighborhoods. Perhaps I am wrong, though. You certainly can't say Pittsburgh is basic. I take a lot of pride in the general weirdness of the city's layout.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:25 AM
Yac

6,049 posts, read 7,695,587 times
Back on topic folks, please.
Also, I feel I have to say I'm not sure who is worse - people who simply have to be negative or people who can't deal with the fact that there are negative folks out there, and we all have an opinion. Both groups tend to get personal and derail threads, even if one is "right" ...
Yac.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:21 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,896,309 times
I wonder if the impact of the cops moving out of the city along with the closing of the prison covers most of the population loss. I imagine the majority of those cops who fled did so for school choice reasons and took their families with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh