Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 08:30 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicia105 View Post
My husband is retired with a NY pension and we are thinking of moving near Latrobe. We are Republican, Catholic and have young children so low crime and good schools are a must. We also have a horse. I may keep him on my property but most likely will board him in a local barn so equine friendly is important. Being close to a hospital is necessary for major health issues.We prefer houses from the 1980s and up and budget is 300 to 350,000 and at least 4 bedrooms. I dont mind rural but still want to be near shopping. No more than 15 minutes.
I think both you and those in the city itself will be more than happy for you to live in the sticks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 08:56 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
There aren't a ton of Westmoreland residents on this forum so expect a lot of advice from people who probably have never been to most of the places you mentioned. (as you can probably guess by the neighborhood reviews etc, none are ever out this way)

It really boils down to whats most important. I personally would pick North Huntingdon all day, every day for schools,
proximity to the best hospitals, and just straight up convenience to everything. Its also a pretty easy drive into the city for a slew of other activities, 30 min where Latrobe 25 minutes further and Ligoneer is over an hour.

There are stables not far from pretty much anywhere, a guy I graduated with has a family owned one in Level Green(Penn Trafford SD) about 10 minute drive from me in Norwin SD, and there are plenty more.

The Norwin SD is very good, that and Franklin (murrsyville) probably the top 2 in the county. Construction over the last decade has boomed so tons of young children/families, it has one of the best little 'main street usa' towns in the middle of it, The Irwin Project | Explore Irwin, Pennsylvania housing stock from 130 year old awesome victorians, through new construction and everything in between. The turnpike is right there to get almost anywhere easily. Though some pitfalls, some might say come with it I don't see all the restaurants, stores, and gas stations on Rt. 30 as a pitfall.

Feel free to PM me about any of the areas, I don't want to write a novel, but I have lived here in a few different SD's from childhood to now(with a decade or so gap in between for my pre-kid city years)

Definitely agree about about the construction boom in Westmoreland County. My only comment would be that in some of the areas the OP budget may be an issue in some of the newer housing plans.

The OP could also look in Hempfield.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:37 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,311,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
I think both you and those in the city itself will be more than happy for you to live in the sticks!
That is a polite way of putting it

Old 05-29-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
That is a polite way of putting it
LOL. I really am making the effort!

Old 05-29-2018, 11:26 AM

302 posts, read 629,576 times
Thats fine by me. My husband served his country in the military and retired as a cop from New York City so if we want to get away from chaos and live in the sticks, thats our perogative. Im just looking for recommendations for towns because we have young children

Old 05-29-2018, 11:30 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,130,377 times
I'm not sure which is harder, the military or a NY cop. I grew up in NJ, my mom dated a NY cop once and the limited stories I heard I can't image. I will agree with what someone said, people dont go out of their way to push their thoughts here. I'd say where we live west of the city is pretty conservative in terms of politics compared with most of the area. I've never had someone bring up things unless I asked. I'm kinda with ya, I'd love to move out to the sticks with a nice piece of land, maybe someday. I've noticed here people have the same opinions as most places but they just are not vocal about it like others.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:40 AM

302 posts, read 629,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
I'm not sure which is harder, the military or a NY cop. I grew up in NJ, my mom dated a NY cop once and the limited stories I heard I can't image. I will agree with what someone said, people dont go out of their way to push their thoughts here. I'd say where we live west of the city is pretty conservative in terms of politics compared with most of the area. I've never had someone bring up things unless I asked. I'm kinda with ya, I'd love to move out to the sticks with a nice piece of land, maybe someday. I've noticed here people have the same opinions as most places but they just are not vocal about it like others.
We dont really talk to anyone. We keep to ourselves. I only mentioned politics and religion to make sure I have an active church to go to and my husband loves his guns lol

Quote:
Thats fine by me. My husband served his country in the military and retired as a cop from New York City so if we want to get away from chaos and live in the sticks, thats our perogative. Im just looking for recommendations for towns because we have young children
Your husband's profession and/or experience is totally irrelevant.
It's everybody's prerogative to live where they want, within their means.

I'm glad you are finding what you are looking for.

Again, not sure what drew you to Latrobe but you might also check area's North and West of the city: North Hills, Hampton, Pine, Sewickley, Ohio Twp, Ben Avon, Ross, Gibsonia, Allison Park, Franklin Park. $350k could get you in most just depends on what your needs are in a home other than 4 beds. They are all still close to the city and major hospitals, lots around for shopping and I know of several horse farms (not sure if they board but could ask a friend who boards). Most of those also have sought after schools. You could go even further north which would be more rural though still close to shopping and hospitals (not sure they needs you have as they are not as large as those near the city).

Old 05-29-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
We dont really talk to anyone. We keep to ourselves. I only mentioned politics and religion to make sure I have an active church to go to and my husband loves his guns lol

I grew up Baptist, all my family but my mom never left Pgh so they are all Catholic. I will make a promise that where ever you end up you should not have a hard time finding an active Catholic Church in the Pgh area. And as for guns, I've never owned but that also will not be an issue most anywhere. A little further from the city might be better if you like to keep to yourselves. I can't stand being close to my neighbor (distance wise) and to me east and south of the city are too congested for me until you get pretty far away
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh