Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 09:52 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,528,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
For that to be accurate you would need to believe that Pittsburgh is a place where people are moving into and desiring mainly places with very low ranking school districts and the outliers are pulling the average up.

I think "desiring" is a strong word, but I think basically that. People buying first homes, people without kids, people whose kids are grown, people who are going to send their kids to private or parochial schools regardless, people who don't play the middle-class school-fear game. These are people I know and know in far greater numbers than the anxious middle class couple with 2.5 kids and a dog and a desire to drive for a combined six hours a day. One of the things I like so much about Pittsburgh is that the kind of family that like that, who tend to forget other people have different ideas, do not dominate the area like they do in suburban Columbus or what have you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 10:31 AM

4,265 posts, read 5,893,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
That was my experience when I bought, many years ago now. I think the problem is that people with dated houses usually grew old in that house and don't think of it as "dated."
I accompanied my son on his recent house hunting trips to Pittsburgh. He was shown one fantastic house, current owners had lived there over 40 years, but everything in the home was from the 1970's. In addition to fake beamed Family Room and Rec Room ceilings, and wall papered walls in every room, they even had a Trash Compactor in the Kitchen! Non-functional of course. The kitchen also had a separate cook top and dual built-in ovens. Obviously no expense was spared when this house was being built.

I haven't gone on-line to search for the special multi-layer bags and spray deodorizers these appliances require, but I would be shocked to see these routine service parts still available. My son's comment was "This is a great house, great layout, lots of space, beautiful lot, etc. But it might require $50k to redo the kitchen and baths, yet the price does not reflect the cost of this work." It was priced similarly to other homes in which the high cost rooms did not require an immediate update.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:40 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,498,965 times
Quote:
One of the things I like so much about Pittsburgh is that the kind of family that like that, who tend to forget other people have different ideas, do not dominate the area like they do in suburban Columbus or what have you.
The reason they don't dominate the city is - each area here has it's own political structure. Much of America has county school systems, and any suburb outside a city limit is part of some amorphous county government. It's a hideous system for everyone.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:50 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,108,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I accompanied my son on his recent house hunting trips to Pittsburgh. He was shown one fantastic house, current owners had lived there over 40 years, but everything in the home was from the 1970's. In addition to fake beamed Family Room and Rec Room ceilings, and wall papered walls in every room, they even had a Trash Compactor in the Kitchen! Non-functional of course. The kitchen also had a separate cook top and dual built-in ovens. Obviously no expense was spared when this house was being built.

I haven't gone on-line to search for the special multi-layer bags and spray deodorizers these appliances require, but I would be shocked to see these routine service parts still available. My son's comment was "This is a great house, great layout, lots of space, beautiful lot, etc. But it might require $50k to redo the kitchen and baths, yet the price does not reflect the cost of this work." It was priced similarly to other homes in which the high cost rooms did not require an immediate update.

And dont forget the funky tile colors in the bathrooms. Those are all common but slowly as people flip they are going away. That is what I always like about Pgh unlike other areas. People are often happy with what they have, no need to constantly upgrade but makes it hard when younger want to buy

Old 06-01-2018, 11:44 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,932,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
We have some of the worst weather in the country for sure.

No we don't.
Sometimes I wonder if you ever get out of the Fox Chapel area.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:07 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,108,936 times
Worst Weather is all a matter of opinion. Would I like more sunny days in the winter, sure but I like the cold. I love the snow. I like seasons. I doubt there is another area I would like more but I know there are many I would like less. I lived in FL for 10+ years, heat gets really old.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:16 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,483,988 times
This Spring was awful.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:22 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,932,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
This Spring was awful.
It wasn't very good... but in fact it was awful throughout a lot of the country.
And in many places it was much worse than here. Here's an example:

https://bringmethenews.com/sports/aw...s-in-minnesota

Old 06-01-2018, 12:37 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,741,534 times
Quote:
I've heard. But in most cities in America, it isn't possible to pay for a nice house close to a university on a salary that a university pays anybody who isn't the basketball coach.

I very much doubt that's true. Plenty of profs make great money, especially researchers. and many administration employees do pretty well too. It may be sort of true for NYC, Boston, DC, Seattle and California. But probably just about everywhere else its not true, which is the vast majority of cities.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:58 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,587,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
I very much doubt that's true. Plenty of profs make great money, especially researchers. and many administration employees do pretty well too. It may be sort of true for NYC, Boston, DC, Seattle and California. But probably just about everywhere else its not true, which is the vast majority of cities.
Yes and no. Professors doing research at highly ranked, well-regarded research universities make good salaries, but many of those happen to be in expensive locations. The "vast majority of cities" really depends on how you define a city -- many top research universities are in small towns, and besides it costs more to live in Ann Arbor than it does to live here, for example, even though we are more of a city. Professors at lower ranked universities earn much less than professors at CMU and Pitt, and indeed "research professor" jobs mainly exist at fairly elite universities on the whole. There really are not many jobs like that in landlocked states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh