Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 11:20 AM

338 posts, read 444,652 times

Advertisements

Of course there are but there are way more terrible parents. Thats why in low income areas especially the city the students do not care like the students in places such as Mt Lebo, North A and USC. If you do not believe that then you are a fool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 11:32 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatty5011 View Post
Of course there are but there are way more terrible parents. Thats why in low income areas especially the city the students do not care like the students in places such as Mt Lebo, North A and USC. If you do not believe that then you are a fool.
Interesting. It's that's simple for you, huh?

I hope you don't work with disadvantaged children--for the sake of the children.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:44 AM

No it is pretty simple. If you care enough about education then you will turn out fine. Yes the teacher does matter. There are great, good, average, and below average teachers, but if the student cares enough he will overcome the obstacle of a bad teacher. On the other hand if a student does not care, the greatest teacher in the world will not be able to help that person. It all comes down to drive from the student which stems from the parents.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:49 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
Quote:
Yep, always blame the parents.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:52 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times
Quote:
No it is pretty simple. If you care enough about education then you will turn out fine. Yes the teacher does matter. There are great, good, average, and below average teachers, but if the student cares enough he will overcome the obstacle of a bad teacher. On the other hand if a student does not care, the greatest teacher in the world will not be able to help that person. It all comes down to drive from the student which stems from the parents.
But you assume low income students don't care due to bad parenting. You're ignoring other variables that can be beyond a good parent's control.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:57 AM

No you are right it isnt always parenting, but in majority cases it is. The students are the main issue obviously but when blaming either the teachers or the parents the parents are the reason kids dont do well, not the teachers. That is the point I am making.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:24 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,816,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I frequently blame students for not putting in the effort. The teacher can only do so much. The parents need to make the student do the work.

There was an attitude of "don't need no education" among the townspeople when I was growing up. And that was pretty much true, back in the day when you could get a good union job with just a hs education or less than high school education. Back then, teachers made far less money than a millworker. Yeah, well. Those days are gone. So is on-the-job training. But people still gripe about having to pay teachers. It's just like everything else in those "caring" professions: People want you to do the job gratis or at least below the market rate. Disadvantaged people and the general public are two groups that I'd be thrilled to never have to work with on a regular basis. Have either on intrude into one's personal space, and the drama and stress level and BS increase exponentially.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:17 PM

632 posts, read 848,607 times
I personally would be very happy to pay public school teachers a salary of $70K or more, IF they were proven to be competent and could actually do the job.

Too many of us have run across lazy, incompetent teachers who are sheltered by their union. The principal of my high school said to my mom when she complained about one of my teachers "You're right, he's incompetent. But the union and tenure rules have my hands tied."

When you set your pay rates too low, you end up scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of the quality of people you end up hiring. Be they teachers, police officers, or whatever. But as taxpayers we have every right to demand accountability, which frankly we rarely get under current circumstances.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:50 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,446,660 times
Luv my English teacher that taut me how to spill n'at.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:09 AM

716 posts, read 759,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

I mean, it kind of seems logical that the parents would have the largest effect on their own child's performance. 14-15 years have passed with the parents at the helm before a high school teacher even meets a student. The teacher spends an hour a day with the student and then sends the student on his/her way. What happens in the many hours and on weekends after the student arrives home after school is completely the responsibility of the parent, not the teacher. The teacher is like a doctor who tells you how to exercise, prescribes medicine or a treatment, but once you leave the doctors office it's up to the parents to make sure that they and their child do what they need to do to get better.

As far as student achievement vs family/school district income: it also seems logical that parents who have seen the benefits of education and been able to achieve their career and financial goals because of education will value it more and pass this along to their children. The reverse is also true. A teacher can only be so inspiring. It should be up to parents to be the best role models for their children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh