Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 10:31 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,944,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I would suggest splitting the difference between Pittsburgh and Detroit, but that's Cleveland.
LOL. Cleveland gets a bad rap. I love it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 04:21 AM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times
Default Property Survey for Air Conditioner Replacement?

So the A/C unit in the house our son bought was discovered to be 29 years old and effectively non-functional during the Pre-purchase Inspection. He requested, and received, a sale credit equal to the cost of replacing the unit. He has since received proposals from local contractors for the installation of a replacement for the exterior compressor/condenser unit and the A-coil within the furnace plenum.

His selected contractor filed for a Building Permit with Mt Lebanon yesterday (he selected a good contractor!) and the contractor was told they needed to provide a property survey to show the unit will be 7 feet or more from any property lines. The A/C contractor does not have a survey of the property. Our son did not receive a property survey at closing. The previous owner was contacted and does not have a property survey. The Title Insurance company was able to provide a copy of the original plat survey of the neighborhood showing the lot our son's house was constructed upon but it does not show the dwelling.

I told our son to go to the Alleghany County GIS website and print off a copy of the property map with the super-imposed aerial photograph of his home - which clearly shows the exterior compressor/condenser at nearly the mid-point of his 52x120 lot. I also told him to take a copy of the Contractor's Proposal with him to the Building Dept which states the line set is being retained. Re-use of the original line set dictates the new unit be installed in the same location as the existing unit.

He said he does not think that is good enough. I went to the GIS web site myself and created a pdf of his lot showing the home and A/C unit, then emailed it to him. Having worked in construction for ~40 years I am confident Mt Lebanon's concern is that the unit not be so close to the property line that its operating noise disrupts neighbors, hence the 7 foot limit. As I posted above, his unit is ~25 feet from the nearest property lines.

Obviously if he was having an addition constructed or an out-building/storage shed placed on the lot a formal survey done by a Licensed Surveyor would be de' rigueur. I am not confident a legal property survey would normally show the exterior A/C unit anyway as it is not a permanent addition to the dwelling or site but merely sits on a removable plastic slab.

What have others encountered and how have they answered the request?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh