Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do Native Pittsburghers Consider Their City?
Northeastern 31 48.44%
Midwestern 4 6.25%
Appalachian 9 14.06%
Northeastern and Appalachian 16 25.00%
Northern 2 3.13%
East Coast 2 3.13%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 12:44 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,170,351 times

Advertisements

If you were born and raised in Pittsburgh, please vote for the region you associated yourself with. If you are not a native, but live or lived here, I still very much want your opinion, but please don't vote--tell us what you think.
I know these threads have been debated ad nauseum, but I would like to gauge the perceptions of Pittsburghers on the whole debate of whether Pittsburgh is Eastern, Midwestern, Appalachian, West Coast, whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 12:50 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,871,363 times
I'm not a native so won't vote, but I consider Pittsburgh Appalachian, with a caveat: the northeastern half of Appalachia is culturally distinct from the southwest half of Appalachia, so I would say "Northeastern and Appalachian" may in fact be the most accurate answer.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:03 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,036,990 times
I would say geographically speaking Pittsburgh is a northeast city, as anything left of Pennsylvania is considered The Midwest and anything south of Pennsylvania is The South. This is indisputable.

However, based upon culture and personality etc, I would say the most accurate response is also Northeastern and Appalachian.

I chose Northeastern only for the simple fact that technically, based upon region, Pittsburgh IS Northeastern. There's no getting around that until you start getting more specific and more complex in the answer.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:25 PM

22,270 posts, read 47,198,180 times
DH and I agree - northeast.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:38 PM

809 posts, read 2,400,507 times
Northeast, but like Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse not really, "East Coast"

Old 03-28-2008, 08:08 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,209,612 times
I've been over on the General US forum on this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...theastern.html

Pittsburgh is the northeast. I do not believe "Appalachia" is a census bureau recongnized area, though many over there think so. Pittsburgh is sort of Appalachian, but if you've ever seen hard core Appalachia in Kentucky, you'd be appalled (at least I was). There is no comparison.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:09 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,036,990 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh is the northeast. I do not believe "Appalachia" is a census bureau recongnized area.
No, it isn't. I also looked up Pittsburgh based upon the actual government recognition. According to the US government, Pittsburgh is a northeast city.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:34 PM

15,631 posts, read 26,120,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
No, it isn't. I also looked up Pittsburgh based upon the actual government recognition. According to the US government, Pittsburgh is a northeast city.
I am a native Pittsburgher -- but my parents aren't. They were born and raised in Hyndman PA and in Cumberland MD and Hyndman. And our roots are so solidly in the mountains maybe I should just declare myself a charter member of the Pennsyl-tucky Club.... that sounds like a good sandwich... Hmmm bacon, lettuce, home-growed 'maters and....roadkill... ( I just know that's going to offend someone, but lordy -- I am laughing my butt off here....)

So my view of Pittsburgh is colored through my parent's eyes -- which is why I would say Appalachian.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:15 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,601,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Pittsburgh is sort of Appalachian, but if you've ever seen hard core Appalachia in Kentucky, you'd be appalled (at least I was). There is no comparison.
Sure, no comparison to Pittsburgh, but have you ever been an hour outside the city? Or to West Virginia? Things are pretty appalling there also.

They say 1 in 6 West Virginians are on food stamps. There probably aren't to many places in this country worse than that.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:23 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,209,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
Sure, no comparison to Pittsburgh, but have you ever been an hour outside the city? Or to West Virginia? Things are pretty appalling there also.

They say 1 in 6 West Virginians are on food stamps. There probably aren't to many places in this country worse than that.
I grew up about 45 min to the west out of the city in Beaver Falls. It was a happening place when I lived there. Even now, it's nothing ike the depths of Appalachica. Yes, I've been to W Va, many times. I don't think it's as bad as eastern KY either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh