Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 12:06 PM

2,519 posts, read 2,073,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by celgos View Post
Because i am and remember when race relations were much better. There were three things that really destroyed it: Obama, the media's distortion of the Trayvon case, and the media's race-bating with Trump. I've been on the receiving end of all kinds of racism and a racial target of crime particularly in the past 2 years. I've watched things deteriorate rapidly through these 3 milestones.
I'm a young fit-looking blonde white guy, and the media has social engineered people, especially minorities, to see Nazi when they see me.
And i have an incredibly diverse set of friends, and note how the nonwhite ones don't experience the same things i do, while the white male friends do experience it. So if you're not a young white male, your experience is less valuable to me.
Ok, you came here to ask a couple of questions and now don't like the responses because they don't fit your view of when life was "better". I am approaching middle age, I lived in a bad area during the early 90's when crime WAS bad around Pittsburgh. Crime in Pittsburgh has been dropping for many years, black on white crime is almost unheard of here. Again, if you are in the drug trade, all bets are off. I think you are projecting too much here, but if you're really worried get a CCW. That said, I am more afraid of being maimed or killed by a pissed off white dude who walks into a restaurant and decides to kill everybody, than I am of a black kid jumping me at the bus stop. Edit to add, I am a blonde, fit 6'2" white guy haha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 01:00 PM

219 posts, read 155,743 times
Quote:
I miss this forum and have a question about a place I'm moving to. The actual area I'll live I'm not concerned with safety, but I'll have to take the bus to work and the stop is on 8th ave by the bridge and walgreens, and I'll be walking along 8th ave west of there. Is this an area where safety is a concern?
Thanks
You asked a question and have received several reasonable responses from those who either have spent time in the area or know much about the area second hand. It seems as though you're really seeking answers that suit your own internal narrative rather than genuine responses.

To answer your original question--several of my coworkers live in Homestead and I've spent time there myself (admittedly, mostly in broad daylight). Unless you are conducting, shall we say, "business," for the most part you should be fine. Much of the violent crime that happens in the 'hood is of a personal nature and often never makes the five o'clock news. As another poster suggested, if you're feeling that iffy about random crime in Pittsburgh, get a concealed carry permit. The best advice for living and going about your day in any city is be aware of your surroundings, act as if you belong there and move with purpose.

*I'm not a young, fit, white male, but I've lived and spent time in several sketchy neighborhoods over the years with no incidents and rarely felt unsafe.

Old 06-06-2018, 02:06 PM

977 posts, read 561,065 times
I think the problem here may be differing perspectives. Many on here remember Pittsburgh from the 80's and 90's, and compared to that, there is nowhere in Pittsburgh that would qualify as unsafe. Crime indeed is way down relative to that time period. Homewood today is a much safer place, for instance, than Homewood in the 80's or 90's. Even Homestead back then was probably what OP would consider unsafe.

Having said that, even today there still are areas that are safer than others when it comes to crime. Anyone saying that Homewood today is not an area where you are more likely to be a crime victim than say Shadyside is kidding themselves. It's true that nowhere is 100% safe. However, it's still also true that Homewood is less safe than Homestead (just to use the two areas in question in this post). The real truth is that being a crime victim is and has always been an unlikely event. Most people who work, live or just pass through an area like Homewood are likely to never become crime victims. That does not mean that crime in Homewood is nonexistent or that a person's likelihood of being a victim of crime isn't higher in Homewood that it would be somewhere else.

Ultimately, of course, it's up to each individual to decide what level of risk he or she is comfortable taking WRT working or living in a certain area. I don't know if the OP is trolling, has his mind already made up, or if he's sincerely trying to get information to make an informed decision as to the risk involved with Homestead, but it doesn't really serve anyone well to make ill-informed statements to the effect that an area is perfectly safe when it is in fact one of the less safe areas in the Pittsburgh area (referring to Homewood, not Homestead). Certainly, it's safer than it once was, but nobody is deciding whether to live in Homewood in the 1980's or Homewood in 2018. People ARE trying to decide whether to live in Homewood or another area right now; it doesn't help them if we are comparing current crime levels to past ones. We should stick to comparing current crime levels in different areas.

OP: There are probably areas that are safer than Homestead now. There are definitely areas that are less safe. You likely will be okay and I don't want to scare you off, but if you are truly paranoid about crime and scared to the point where you'll be fretting about getting jumped or mugged all the time, then you may want to rethink your options. Of course, if your that scared, paranoid, etc., then maybe city life is not a good idea for you.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:48 AM
Yac

6,049 posts, read 7,694,184 times
11 posts have been removed.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:20 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,008,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
....hat said, I am more afraid of being maimed or killed by a pissed off white dude who walks into a restaurant and decides to kill everybody, than I am of a black kid jumping me at the bus stop. Edit to add, I am a blonde, fit 6'2" white guy haha!
the odds are actually in your favor. it is not an acceptable status quo, but still a low, per capita occurrence.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:51 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,783,846 times
Quote:
Because i am and remember when race relations were much better. There were three things that really destroyed it: Obama, the media's distortion of the Trayvon case, and the media's race-bating with Trump. I've been on the receiving end of all kinds of racism and a racial target of crime particularly in the past 2 years. I've watched things deteriorate rapidly through these 3 milestones.
I'm a young fit-looking blonde white guy, and the media has social engineered people, especially minorities, to see Nazi when they see me.
And i have an incredibly diverse set of friends, and note how the nonwhite ones don't experience the same things i do, while the white male friends do experience it. So if you're not a young white male, your experience is less valuable to me.
I am an older white male and I agree with a lot of your statement here. Times are different, but remember everyone is an individual, so you have to try your best to keep that in mind. You are probably looking for racism towards you, due to the media's grooming. I used to do that for a while until I adjusted to remembering everyone is their own person, so there will be some racism towards you daily from some and some don't care at all. There is no question there is more racism towards white males now than in any time in my life though. It is pretty obvious. Interestingly it also comes from a small, but vociferous percentage of very far left women in cities. Just seems like a prejudical hatred. Most people like this aren't overly bright, so I find humor in it.

Again, you are probably looking for all of this, so it will be more pronounced. Over time people will mellow about it. Right now there is an attack on white males and most of that is probably due to Trump beating Hilary. There sure are one heck of a lot of sexual harassment cases from like 50 years ago cropping up out of nowhere. That is sort of a telltale as well.

Hang in there, this stuff will mellow to nothing because at the end of the day everyone is their own person and skin tone is meaningless really.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:04 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,783,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
That said, I am more afraid of being maimed or killed by a pissed off white dude who walks into a restaurant and decides to kill everybody, than I am of a black kid jumping me at the bus stop. Edit to add, I am a blonde, fit 6'2" white guy haha!
So you are walking down the street and 15 young black males are approaching you and you don't have any guard up at all? On top of that you are sitting in a restaurant and thinking about a white person coming in there and shooting everyone? Really? Maybe you are just trying to make a point with a very over-the-top statement, but as a cyclist that has seen a lot of crap, I would be the opposite, but that is from my own experiences that are very up close and personal, not like while driving a car. If I see a large group of young black males now while on my bike, I change route. I am getting too old to be that tough crazy guy that is ready for anything. I just don't want to deal with it anymore, but I do think things like the knockout game and such seemed to have gone away in Pittsbugh. Lets hope they don't return.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:27 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,932,450 times
Quote:
I think you should stay out of Homestead. I think you should stay out of Homewood. I think you should stay out of cities in general.

Your insecurity will make you a target wherever you are.

Try Greene County... you should be safe there.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:43 AM

2,519 posts, read 2,073,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
So you are walking down the street and 15 young black males are approaching you and you don't have any guard up at all? On top of that you are sitting in a restaurant and thinking about a white person coming in there and shooting everyone? Really? Maybe you are just trying to make a point with a very over-the-top statement, but as a cyclist that has seen a lot of crap, I would be the opposite, but that is from my own experiences that are very up close and personal, not like while driving a car. If I see a large group of young black males now while on my bike, I change route. I am getting too old to be that tough crazy guy that is ready for anything. I just don't want to deal with it anymore, but I do think things like the knockout game and such seemed to have gone away in Pittsbugh. Lets hope they don't return.
1. I encounter groups of black kids all of the time when I'm out walking the dogs, riding my bike, at the bus stop, pool, whatever. I always keep my situational awareness but I am also not expecting to be attacked at any moment because of their skin color. I realize this is not the case for the average FC resident, but it's my case.
2. Yeah, I do think about a crazy dude upset over gun control, Obama, gay wedding cakes, whatever reason du jour the snowflakes have these days to blow their lid. But, I do not obsess over it and I carry just in case.
3. There never was a knock out game in Pittsburgh, that was a sensationalized story of a CAPA teacher getting sucker punched. It's the evil media who ran with the knock out game story to scare the crap out of the pearl clutchers.
4. OP was a crap stirrer, even posted a non sequiter to intentionally muck the post up and then continued to aggressively antagonize for whatever reasons. The post probably should have been locked when it was all too apparent he was trolling.
5. Edit: It's OK to have a fear of being attacked by the brown people for one's appearance, which is practically (find me a story, please) unheard of here. But, it's irrational for me to have a fear of a mass shooter situation. Doesn't sound very fair to me.

Last edited by norcider; 06-07-2018 at 10:00 AM..

Old 06-07-2018, 04:31 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,352,296 times
I have worked for years in every ghetto, housing project, bad neighborhood and hell hole in Pittsburgh. I was attacked in Homewood by a crack addict on Wildwood drive but if you ever had to fight a crack addict you will know an average man can fight 3 of them easily. I was robbed in shadyside, my tools were stolen in Sewickley, and someone broke into our job in a very nice part of Church Hill.

Out of the four times I had issues 3 were in 500k plus neighborhoods, it doesn't matter where you are if it is your time it is your time. Keep to yourself, don't flash a purse or wallet, and don't say anything except hello to anyone on the street and you will be fine. Its actually safer in the ghettos now than years ago, now the drug dealers have cell phones and they are not fighting over street corners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh