Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 07:06 AM

4,276 posts, read 5,932,563 times

Advertisements

Be sure to require a survey of the property as part of your pre-purchase inspection.

From our son's experience it appears the City does not have accurate and up-to-date surveys of all residential properties. The City's solution to this missing information is to require a survey be performed prior to issuing a Building Permit for any exterior permit-required work on a non-surveyed property. In our son's case this is the replacement of the home's air conditioning system.

So rather than have a $300 to $500 survey be included as part of a $300K property transfer, it is now part of $3K A/C replacement job. Requiring a survey as part of a property purchase would make more sense to me, both for it being a much smaller incremental cost and for the reduced time required until all residential properties in the City are surveyed.

The worst possible scenario for a buyer of a non-surveyed property would be to discover AFTER purchase that your neighbor's garage, patio, home addition, etc., was constructed on your property! Or that part of your new home is on their property!

Last edited by MI-Roger; 06-13-2018 at 07:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 07:17 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,850 times
There is not one township that I know of in Allegheny county that keeps a database of surveys. There is not one township in Allegheny county that I know of that doesn't require a survey for a building permit. This unfortunately is something that I run into all the time but until it is a requirement for a home purchase very few will ever get one.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
There is not one township that I know of in Allegheny county that keeps a database of surveys. There is not one township in Allegheny county that I know of that doesn't require a survey for a building permit. This unfortunately is something that I run into all the time but until it is a requirement for a home purchase very few will ever get one.

And the irony is...................here in Michigan having a survey performed was previously a requirement for sale but is no longer a requirement.

The Alleghany County GIS system has a property line survey of his lot, and a detailed dimensioned outline of his home, but they are two separate documents. Additionally, you can view the aerial photograph of his home over-laid onto the property survey in full color. But no actual Signed and Sealed Survey Document.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:26 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,717 times
I don’t think this situation is unique to Mt. Lebo or even Pennsylvania in general. The only unique thing in all of this may be how stringent code and permit enforcement is in Mt. Lebo relative to some other towns, though I am sure there are others equally as strict as Mt. Lebo.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:33 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,011 times
When I bought my house in Pittsburgh I had a survey completed. I didn't ask for it, but I assume it was required by the city, the mortgage company, or the title company. I believe it was the title company, as there is a note in the email from the surveyor saying the retaining wall was slightly over the property line, but it wasn't a title issue.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:36 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,693,044 times
What if the last survey was done 30 years ago. Is this still acceptable? How recent must it be?

Old 06-13-2018, 07:49 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
What if the last survey was done 30 years ago. Is this still acceptable? How recent must it be?
As long as everything is included on the survey there is not an age limit for building permits. I have submitted originals from the 1920's

Mt lebo is very strict but they are one of the better building departments to deal with. They are very professional.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:06 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Be sure to require a survey of the property as part of your pre-purchase inspection.

From our son's experience it appears the City does not have accurate and up-to-date surveys of all residential properties. The City's solution to this missing information is to require a survey be performed prior to issuing a Building Permit for any exterior permit-required work on a non-surveyed property. In our son's case this is the replacement of the home's air conditioning system.

So rather than have a $300 to $500 survey be included as part of a $300K property transfer, it is now part of $3K A/C replacement job. Requiring a survey as part of a property purchase would make more sense to me, both for it being a much smaller incremental cost and for the reduced time required until all residential properties in the City are surveyed.

The worst possible scenario for a buyer of a non-surveyed property would be to discover AFTER purchase that your neighbor's garage, patio, home addition, etc., was constructed on your property! Or that part of your new home is on their property!
I wouldn't pay for a survey as a pre purchase, I would add it to the sales agreement as a contingency to an agreement of sale. That way you don't pay for a survey unless you have an agreement.

Do you really need a permit for an A/C replacement job? I would have just had it installed without one, so long as the condenser is being put in the same place. Seems a little ridiculous.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Do you really need a permit for an A/C replacement job? I would have just had it installed without one, so long as the condenser is being put in the same place. Seems a little ridiculous.
  1. Yes you need a Permit, and apparently also a Survey as the Building Department hasn't budged in tis respect. They also do not accept the aerial photograph overlaid onto the property survey which was obtained from the County GIS site.
  2. I agree that this requirement is foolish. Especially since the existing compressor/condenser unit is ~25 feet from the nearest property line, the new unit will be in the same location as the line set is not being replaced (identified as such on the Contractor's proposal), and Mt Lebanon stipulates that these units be "no closer than 7 feet" from the property line. If the old unit scaled off the aerial photo as being 8 feet from the property line I would agree that verification might be necessary. But 7 feet versus 25 feet? C'mon!

Old 06-13-2018, 09:23 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,652,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I wouldn't pay for a survey as a pre purchase, I would add it to the sales agreement as a contingency to an agreement of sale. That way you don't pay for a survey unless you have an agreement.

I was thinking the same thing, so I checked. This is what it says on https://www.mtlebanon.org/1639/Build...t-Requirements
Quote:
Air Conditioning Unit

For new, replacing or relocating an air conditioning unit, you will need a Mechanical Permit. Along with the application, it is required to provide two copies of your property survey indicating the location of the unit. For all R-1 and R-2 Districts the unit must be seven feet from a property line. See Chapter XX, Section 804.1 of the Mt. Lebanon Municipal Code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh