Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 11:35 AM

755 posts, read 465,673 times

Advertisements

PBS . . . .

The Newshour does a good job with most reporting. And Frontline really does the best scratching and digging to uncover the background on difficult stories.

I wonder why PBS affiliates have never produced local news (that I know of)? I know there is a huge profit-margin in it for commercial stations, but I think that PBS might find a good niche with local reporting - especially these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 11:45 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,446,660 times
I recall back in the 90's when Bruce Keidan did his series on Johnny Gamage. I believe it was nominated for a Pulitzer, it was excellent. Very little of that being done these days on a local level. Every paper seems to be turning into a USA Today.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:11 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,783,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I recall back in the 90's when Bruce Keidan did his series on Johnny Gamage. I believe it was nominated for a Pulitzer, it was excellent. Very little of that being done these days on a local level. Every paper seems to be turning into a USA Today.
It is only profitable if people can "relate" to it. In other words if it isn't within their echo-chamber scope, they will change the channel.

I can't be the only one that sees this so clearly. I watch people on their phones watching some story and talking about it to the people in their echo-chamber all the time and hear them all agreeing with each other. It actually scares me to be honest because it breeds complete intolerance. This is an obvious byproduct of the new media/smartphone age. I really hope people can see it at some point as the dangerous of intolerance are certainly present and one has to wonder if if will grow to a point of a more violent nature. I don't see it yet on a large scale, but there is no doubt some rumblings.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:56 PM

It is a form of confirmation bias - humans favor opinions that confirm what they already believe. This is the real danger of all social media. But why don't people seek out differences? I think the answer lies partially in the fact that critical thinking is becoming less of a primary goal of our educational system. This is bad not only for democracy but also for innovation in a competitive world. It had been a great asset of the US system. It seems we are moving far too close to more prescriptive systems like China. The rub is that these countries are now recognizing this and making changes that favor critical thinking and experiential learning.

It is also one reason that people in general tend to be so skeptical of science. And how ironic is that when everything in our electronic world is based on physics and chemistry? I know plenty of people who think along the lines of "I know what I need to know based on my life experience and anything counter to that can't be true / must be propaganda / is fake news".

Just for the record, I am way out of my field (not education) on all of this and painting big, broad strokes, but I believe there is something to it.

Last edited by Charley Barker; 06-19-2018 at 02:19 PM..

Old 06-19-2018, 02:33 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,446,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
It is a form of confirmation bias - humans favor opinions that confirm what they already believe. .

Definitely agree with that one. Too many follow lock step behind a liberal or conservative belief without considering the other side. Kind of like the morons from the city that think urban living is the only way.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:52 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,933,215 times
I find the PBS News Hour to be the most straightforward source for news. No "breaking news," no flash, no fancy graphics, no screaming anchors. Just a slower-paced, thoughtful look at what happened. Longer pieces are in-depth and they are well researched. They ask probing questions, but they are all based on pretty extensive leg work.

PBS doesn't go after ratings (they are very small), so they can take the time to get the story right and not worry about attracting a certain number of eyeballs to sell advertising.

Old 06-19-2018, 04:09 PM

133 posts, read 97,334 times
If it was the other way around you wouldn’t care-such hypocrisy with both parties that are so extreme they both scare me.

Old 06-19-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
I find the PBS News Hour to be the most straightforward source for news. No "breaking news," no flash, no fancy graphics, no screaming anchors. Just a slower-paced, thoughtful look at what happened. Longer pieces are in-depth and they are well researched. They ask probing questions, but they are all based on pretty extensive leg work.

PBS doesn't go after ratings (they are very small), so they can take the time to get the story right and not worry about attracting a certain number of eyeballs to sell advertising.
Agreed. I would love to see a half hour local news program on PBS. Time has come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh