Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2019, 09:16 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Why are they protesting the law in Pittsburgh?
Some may be protesting the jury decision but I think some area also protesting the totality of police shootings, laws, and not guilty verdicts spanning many years. There are plenty of times where people protest laws but not right outside the legislative body's offices. I'm not saying I oppose the law. I'm not sure. But I disagree with the idea that the only valid way to protest a law is to drive a couple hundred miles and do it right by the legislative body.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:20 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
Some may be protesting the jury decision but I think some area also protesting the totality of police shootings, laws, and not guilty verdicts spanning many years. There are plenty of times where people protest laws but not right outside the legislative body's offices. I'm not saying I oppose the law. I'm not sure. But I disagree with the idea that the only valid way to protest a law is to drive a couple hundred miles and do it right by the legislative body.
Until they do that, the law isn’t going to change, and I hope it doesn’t.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:40 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
i agree with the perspective of the last few comments...but the sarcasm and almost glee? i get it, i get what you mean. i am equally disgusted, and have voiced that for years on this board (often resulting in my suspension or censorship) with the way some people choose to live and act.

but it would behoove us to reign (sp) back this feeling of victory, lest you come across as that negative stereotype of the suburban white male/MAGA person.

in other words, it is suggested not to gloat. you only give motivation to the incessant, non-logical posts that support a person who attempted to kill another.

i have avoided Clairton city proper for over 20 years, by the way, because of violence and incidents akin to this. Former friends who had ties to the city, now middle aged and moved on to Jefferson Hills, etc., wish for the city their parents knew.

it may always have been populated with a rough crowd, though.

just some non-related stuff about clairton history:

olio: More Clairton History

Old 03-28-2019, 08:12 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i agree with the perspective of the last few comments...but the sarcasm and almost glee? i get it, i get what you mean. i am equally disgusted, and have voiced that for years on this board (often resulting in my suspension or censorship) with the way some people choose to live and act.

but it would behoove us to reign (sp) back this feeling of victory, lest you come across as that negative stereotype of the suburban white male/MAGA person.

in other words, it is suggested not to gloat. you only give motivation to the incessant, non-logical posts that support a person who attempted to kill another.

i have avoided Clairton city proper for over 20 years, by the way, because of violence and incidents akin to this. Former friends who had ties to the city, now middle aged and moved on to Jefferson Hills, etc., wish for the city their parents knew.

it may always have been populated with a rough crowd, though.

just some non-related stuff about clairton history:

olio: More Clairton History
Are you talking about the last few comments in regards to the man being beaten by protesters? If so, I can assure you that if you’re referring to mine, they have nothing to do with sarcasm and/or glee...and there are different colors of suburban MAGA supporters.

Old 03-29-2019, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Are you talking about the last few comments in regards to the man being beaten by protesters? If so, I can assure you that if you’re referring to mine, they have nothing to do with sarcasm and/or glee...and there are different colors of suburban MAGA supporters.
well, tyovan moreso. not that im a self-appointed censor, nor picking on him. just a suggestion!

Old 03-29-2019, 09:36 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
and there are different colors of suburban MAGA supporters.
Agreed. Some suburban MAGA supporters are the types you see drooling on themselves. I know many other Trump supporters who are actually articulate, educated people who just think differently. I'm a liberal but have many conservative friends. I hate to see my fellow liberals bullying Trump supporters without differentiation.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:03 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Agreed. Some suburban MAGA supporters are the types you see drooling on themselves. I know many other Trump supporters who are actually articulate, educated people who just think differently. I'm a liberal but have many conservative friends. I hate to see my fellow liberals bullying Trump supporters without differentiation.

Seriously?

I have some articulate, educated, conservative friends that are so Pro Trump I stopped talking to them. Ask them point blank questions like: Wasn't Mexico going to pay for the wall? What happened to the double secret 30 day plan to rid the world of ISIS? Why aren't the mills reopening in Pittsburgh? Why aren't the coal mines open in WV? crickets

But then, I'm not talking to my liberal friends that support the New Green Deal by ROA.

I'm lonely.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:34 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post

In all honesty, both sides like to show the extremists on the other side to prove their side is right. It is what the Internet is all about. There are very few checks and balances on the Internet because you can anonymously post your extreme crap. No one is going to punch you in the mouth when you are typing, but only a few short years ago, you would be discussing these issues in public because that was the only way you could do it. In person you tone things down unless you are in an echo-chamber and in public those isolated areas aren't as easy to find, since not everyone sees things the same.

The incident in Clairton is an isolated one. It can be used to show people a side of things, but it is rare really. It provokes a reaction. I showed it partly to show it can happen and partly to show a side of something that can be ugly.

I think your points are smart. The Internet has created a place where there are very few checks and balances and ALL extremists congregating. Echo-chambers. I have to be honest, this is one of the few places I have been that isn't an echo-chamber. Reddit is one of the most scary places I have ever visited. It is set up like an echo-chamber and posts get deleted if you are NOT on board with the majority. People in a minority in opinion get deleted as if they don't have an opinion. That place is what is wrong with the Internet.

A lot was learned from this thread really. There are differences of opinions to the point it is hard to understand those opinions that don't gel with your own. That part is okay as if you hear those opinions enough, you might start understanding why they have them. Well done City Data.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:42 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
True. I don't know why some people go nuts over people that hope the current administration does well for America. Just because someone wears a MAGA hat just means they support the current president and they have hope. Geez, I don't get the hate towards them. Strange, but echo-chambers are powerful to promote NO tolerance of anyone that doesn't fully agree with oneself. Scary stuff.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post

The incident in Clairton is an isolated one...

I have to be honest, this is one of the few places I have been that isn't an echo-chamber... Reddit is one of the most scary places I have ever visited. It is set up like an echo-chamber and posts get deleted if you are NOT on board with the majority.

first one - i disagree. it is not isolated.

the guy who drove the car into a crowd of people in Charlottesville will be remembered, but if you watch the video, that ugly incident aside, it was the ANTI-klan/white nationalists that were attacking, throwing, etc. that point will never be made as people recall those historical protests/counter-protests.

someone actually shot at a softball game attended by GOP Capitol Hill people.

The View women go carnal if you discuss anything coming from the right. They mouth off to be funny, get in a good zing or insult, and eventually get applause, then simmer down as if they won an argument with actual content and facts.

and so on....this is not an isolated incident. there really IS a violent, angry, frothing, maniacal sub-culture of the left out there.

second point - i dont read boards except citi-data, but i HAVE seen reddit, and i get the hell out in a hurry each time. them, and the old Anonymous - scary stuff. Anonymous was on board with social justice and whatnot, but if you disagreed with them, you were a "******", or something like that. i think the more aggressive/insane Anons who were like that were probably the old 4 Chan people (4 Chan makes Reddit look like the mickey mouse club).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh