Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2018, 06:59 PM

15 posts, read 9,541 times

Advertisements

The last five years have been a nightmare. Horrible sleep fog, waking up congested, unable to breathe.

And that's WITH allergy meds, a neti pot, decongestants in the morning and throughout the day AND sleeping in air conditioning.

And I live in the exurbs -- Murrysville, to be exact.

This winter was GREAT.....I could wake up and be able to breathe from the get-go.

Now that spring and summer are here....forget about it.

I welcome any and all suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 06:02 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,311,508 times
What meds? Make sure you're keeping your place clean and using a high quality HEPA vacuum. Consider a high quality air purifier too. IQair is generally considered the best but it's pricey. I've had good experiences with Metropolitan ENT for my allergies.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:43 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcassha123 View Post
The last five years have been a nightmare. Horrible sleep fog, waking up congested, unable to breathe.

And that's WITH allergy meds, a neti pot, decongestants in the morning and throughout the day AND sleeping in air conditioning.

And I live in the exurbs -- Murrysville, to be exact.

This winter was GREAT.....I could wake up and be able to breathe from the get-go.

Now that spring and summer are here....forget about it.

I welcome any and all suggestions.
It sure is wet out there. I have no advice, but my goodness it is so wet all the time! It is like we are living in a swamp.

Old 06-23-2018, 01:43 PM

387 posts, read 471,028 times
This sounds like something in your direct (sleeping) environment.

Especially if it is better when your heat is on.
Whatever is bothering you is probably from dampness.
Suggestions:
1st-go to home depot & get one of those cans of ac coil cleaner & clean your ac coils-this should be done every year-ac is notorious for harboring mold/pollen/nasty gunk etc.
2nd vacuum your mattress regularly. seriously-remove the sheets and put the vacuum right on it. pull slowly & let the beater bar get it good.
Pull the bed from where it is & vacuum/scrub/ dust under-if any of it is against the wall-wash the wall-walls hold dust pollen also.do this along molding & windows/doors.
Figure out where the damp or musty parts of your house are & figure a solution to dry them out.
cold be a loose downspot making the basement wet, or damp crawlspace under bedroom etc.

Figure out where in the house you have the least issues.
Start eliminating the variables to narrow down what's affecting you.

Note: if allergy meds are not working, the issue is NOT allergies.
Decongestants work by a different mechanism & can work for most general congestion, allergic or not.
Either it is something you are sensitive to, but not actually allergic, or you cold have an infection in your sinuses & you are more symptomatic after laying down due to eustacian tubes not draining.

Been there, did it all--- plus some.

Oh, if your stuffy-DONT sniffle it back up-always blow it out-that's your body's way of getting rid of the offenders.

Took me quite a while to narrow down my MAIN offender-it ended up being un-primered unsealed texture on my attic ceiling/walls. I didn't realize it wasn't sealed, I thought it was painted with flat paint. Once I realized what it was, I sealed it, it was much better immediately-through the entire house, due to cold air returns, not just the attic, but the attic was the main bad room. I scrubbed the carpeting up there, & while it looked great, it needed to be ripped out, because that dust sticks to everything & is so fine, it's impossible to get it all out.

To this day, even tiny amounts of unsealed spackle or joint compound just kill me, I'm fine when it's wet, but I gotta seal it asap, or I'll suffer-light sensitivity, clogged nose, headaches, and 25 other symptoms.
Then it sets in my chest & I land with bronchitis. My Dr must've done 50 allergy tests/panels-conclusion: I am not allergic, but am hypersensitive to something in it & that's why the allergy meds didn't work, said it's a different reaction, like a chemical sensitivity.

Good luck on your search!

Old 06-24-2018, 11:51 AM

7 posts, read 5,486 times
I've developed seasonal allergies since living only a few miles outside of downtown. Still, it might not have anything to do with the environment because adults can develop allergies suddenly for no reason. But yes I find it harder to breathe in the spring/summer because of the extremely humid conditions. I spent some time out West and had a much much much easier time breathing. When I got back here, I felt immediately swamped by the humidity. I am of normal weight so it's not like it's breathing issues related to that.

But have you ever been checked for sleep apnea? That could be something to explain your sleep fog, congestion, and hard time breathing when you wake up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh