Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 05:39 PM

240 posts, read 834,664 times

Advertisements

I agree with some of the other posters. I could buy from you, as your tattoos would not bother me personally, but if I were to sell, I probably would not choose you because of the reactions other might have to your tattoos, which wouldn't necessarily help the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 09:07 AM

29,623 posts, read 34,077,569 times
What kind of tats are we talking about? A sleeve that can be covered up, or do you have a tattooed snake coiled around your head and neck?

Old 04-03-2008, 11:02 AM

14 posts, read 51,188 times
It wouldn't bother me at all. My realtor was a biker chick and I wanted to have a pic of us taken next to the "sold" sign with her in leather but they removed the sign like 10 minutes after my closing.

In general, I would agree with the majority here. Have as many as you want but just make sure you'll be able to cover them up if you need to. Maybe once you get to know some of your clients, you'll be able to tell whether or not they will be cool with it.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:24 PM

237 posts, read 857,022 times
As a heavily tattooed woman in a conservative field, I say - forget about it. Get them, as long as you can keep them covered. And then, keep them covered.

Unless you have plans of being completely independent, whichever real estate corporation you work for is going to frown on them. It doesn't matter how cool your superiors are or anything like that. The corporate environment doesn't want them. And if you insist on displaying them, they won't want you either.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:18 AM

1,440 posts, read 4,396,150 times
Default from a current agent's perspective...

...First, now's a heck of a time to get into real estate sales. Have your pennies rolled, you'll need them. The tats? Again, what they are and where they are is the key. A tasteful rose on an ankle gets one response. A knee to ankle dragon is another thing entirely.

It sounds like what you have is not overdone and could be covered up quite easily. That would probably have to be done in any office unless you have such a following that they'll overlook the curious to see straight to the money you bring in. Being honest, in RE you face all manner of folks and need to be a bit of a chameleon to handle them. What works for the guy looking for hunting land might not work for the preacher who wants a nice country house. Good luck!

Old 04-10-2008, 11:32 AM

487 posts, read 1,375,171 times
To me, visible tatoos suggest an insecurity. Individuals that are completely self-confident and comfortable in their own skin don't feel the need to permanently alter it. And the "I'm just expressing my individuality" argument only serves to reinforce the notion, because it indicates an unhappiness with one's ability to express themselves as-is.

Then again, I've been called "a bit stuffy" more than once, so what do I know?

Last edited by bboy36win; 04-10-2008 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 04-10-2008, 12:05 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,857,468 times
I'm not sure the OP is interested in a discussion of the merits of tattoos, but I just wanted to note that I don't see much distinction between tattoos and any other form of fashion involving one's body (including jewelry, clothing, hair, and so on). Of course tattoos are more permanent than most other things one can do in this area, but speaking as a person who has had more or less the same haircut since I was a child, that strikes me as not a particularly notable fact (except for the pragmatic point that one ought to be pretty sure they want to be sticking with this fashion for a long time before getting a tattoo).

But for the OP's purposes, I guess the relevant point is that not everybody shares my feelings.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:16 PM

221 posts, read 748,150 times
Depends on what and where.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:47 AM

21 posts, read 54,329 times
Default Look professional

In a professional job, you meed to look and act professionally. Clothes, hair, manner of speech, choice of vocabulary all go to make up the pattern, so I would agree that tattoos should be kept covered.

I don't care whether my realtor has tattoos, eats nothing but junk food and hangs about in heavy metal clubs at weekends so long as these things don't impact on our business relationship.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:25 PM

237 posts, read 857,022 times
Kish nailed it - professional means acting & appearing professional at work, no matter what someone does with their downtime (as long as the downtime activities don't interfere with business.)

As far as the idea it depends on what the tattoo is - that really doesn't matter. I have some truly beautiful tattoos - work by true artists. In fact, my grandma loves the paintings done by my one artist.

However, as soon as those same images are on my skin, they become distasteful to her.

It isn't just about what is tattooed on someone, but the fact that it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: