Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 12:00 PM

758 posts, read 1,227,035 times

Advertisements

Ok I understand protests and the amendment right to protest and that civil disobedience was never designed to be convenient. HOWEVER I think people protest just to protest without and established plan and end-game. WHAT EXACTLY DO
THESE PROTESTS WANT TO ACCOMPLISH?

For example, in the sixties people protested, marched and sat-in, but they didn't do it just to do it..they sat down in the
churches and planned and strategize to accomplish a goal...(the bus boycott economically broke and unjust transportation
system)...

Protests are fine to draw attention to a cause, but what is the long-term goal do the protests want to accomplish and how are
they going about to do it? What is the PLAN? Do they plan to put economic pressure on police departments? or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 01:27 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,542,326 times
It looks to me like the money the protest groups were paying for police protection ran out.

Old 07-28-2018, 02:54 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
It looks to me like the money the protest groups were paying for police protection ran out.
Great news.

Old 07-28-2018, 03:09 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,130,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
Ok I understand protests and the amendment right to protest and that civil disobedience was never designed to be convenient. HOWEVER I think people protest just to protest without and established plan and end-game. WHAT EXACTLY DO
THESE PROTESTS WANT TO ACCOMPLISH?

For example, in the sixties people protested, marched and sat-in, but they didn't do it just to do it..they sat down in the
churches and planned and strategize to accomplish a goal...(the bus boycott economically broke and unjust transportation
system)...

Protests are fine to draw attention to a cause, but what is the long-term goal do the protests want to accomplish and how are
they going about to do it? What is the PLAN? Do they plan to put economic pressure on police departments? or what?

Thank you, this is always my issue with many types of protests. I understand things need to be brought to light sometimes but I am pretty sure most people realize racism still exists and is an issue everywhere. Like Kneeling for the anthem, These are millionaires with a voice people listen to so to me kneeling is the easy (lazy) way out, go out and get involved and do something. Never cared much for Kaepernick (Not a good QB and really is out of work because of that not his views in my opinion) but I feel like aside from the kneeling thing he actually then went out and became involved, he took action.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:11 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
...to me kneeling is the easy (lazy) way out, go out and get involved and do something.
Yeah, it does nothing other than upset the fans that are paying their salaries. It is lazy for sure.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:48 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
This is why reasonable people have stopped posting on this board

Old 07-29-2018, 08:22 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,085 times
Quote:
Bingo.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:25 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
At what point does it stop being a protest and becomes mob rule
Do the down and out have more rights than those that need to get to work to feed their families

Old 07-29-2018, 09:30 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Of all the boards I visit, I find this one to be the most diverse on all fronts. Lots of different opinions and really amazing dialog. Most forums are complete echo-chambers, but this one somehow manages to be very open and it is amazing it can stay that way. It is VERY rare.

I can see both sides. I don't know if either side will have any closure. Police have to do their job and it isn't an easy one. The kid that got shot was in a car that was in a drive-by shooting a few minutes earlier and he had a clip in his pocket, so it wasn't like he wasn't part of it all. He was. Sad he got shot, but if you are going to run with people carrying out drive-by shootings, your chances of being killed by a cop or by the streets are increase a million fold.

I hope someday the cops are more involved in communities and people start getting to know them better, but the hatred towards them in some parts of the city, probably just make it impossible at this time.

I don't think things will change in the next decade, much. Protests are easy to form with the Internet for the extremists.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:15 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
At what point does it stop being a protest and becomes mob rule
Do the down and out have more rights than those that need to get to work to feed their families
They feel they do, and their entitlement runs extremely deep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh