Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 10:18 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Sigh They also delayed an ambulance who was trying to get through with an emergency aboard.
The amount of privilege being shown by these people is amazing to me. Can't get more privileged than feeling you can hold up an ambulance for your cause. I can't even imagine what it would feel like to have that kind of privilege. but I guess they are allowed to do as they please. Quite different in my town as if I blocked a street, I would be arrested and if I stopped an ambulance, I would get the book thrown at me. I don't have those privileges, that is for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 04:43 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Well, I have a feeling these protests are going to backfire in a big way over time. People are tired of lawlessness and it is going on too long.
It already has - Trump got elected.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:57 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
It already has - Trump got elected.
Politics isn't really part of this forum, but people seem to forget who Trump ran against. Wasn't exactly a popular person to say the least. Bernie might have done better, but they all kind of suck and I doubt it will get any better next time around. Who in their right mind would want that position the way things are?

Anyway, it would be nice to know where these protests are prior to them starting, but it seems no one on here is in the know.

Did anyone see that video of the poor man in that pickup trying to get out of there? One of the protesters looked like he was going to pull him out of the truck and we might have had an LA all over again. We need to know where these things are taking place to avoid the area.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:27 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,992,376 times
Quote:
Politics isn't really part of this forum, but people seem to forget who Trump ran against. Wasn't exactly a popular person to say the least. Bernie might have done better, but they all kind of suck and I doubt it will get any better next time around. Who in their right mind would want that position the way things are?

Anyway, it would be nice to know where these protests are prior to them starting, but it seems no one on here is in the know.

Did anyone see that video of the poor man in that pickup trying to get out of there? One of the protesters looked like he was going to pull him out of the truck and we might have had an LA all over again. We need to know where these things are taking place to avoid the area.
Blocking a key intersection in the downtown area of a major city at rush hour is unacceptable. They should have been moved or arrested by the police.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:35 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
Stay out of the city until the mayor stops pandering. Don't spend any money there.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:39 AM

969 posts, read 772,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Stay out of the city until the mayor stops pandering. Don't spend any money there.
Fantastic idea. I'm sure the city will have to dissolve in a matter of days without you occasionally stopping to get gas or that rare dinner with the wife.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:19 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
Blocking a key intersection in the downtown area of a major city at rush hour is unacceptable. They should have been moved or arrested by the police.
Well, I have been thinking about this and I am not sure if Chief Scott Schubert and Bill Peduto have it right this time. The protests are dwindling and they almost didn't have enough people to even block the street down there. The protests are short (30 minutes), because what are 25-30 people really going to do? It looks too sparse to really have much of an effect and most people probably are just rolling their eyes.

I guess I am not sure if the police should get tough on this or not. If you break out the riot gear and have 100 cops clear the deck, that will get national attention and go viral. Then you might have the wealthy professional protesters roll into town for months because they have nothing better to do. I don't think this is as simple as we might make it out to be. Remember "Occupy Pittsburgh" that wealthy group that was camping out on BNY Mellon property downtown? They were there for what seemed like forever. It was pretty gross down there to say the least. Do we want the pros moving into town or should we put up with these little protests that aren't really a big deal in comparison?

I am slowly changing my tune on these protests because I don't want the rich pros moving in and making things worse. Let the local little people yell and scream for a while. Then there will be another flare-up depending on the verdict and that will go away until another gang member/drive-by kid gets shot by a cop and we can repeat the whole thing over again, but that might be years off.

Protests are going to be part of our lives now. Little meaningless groups of people can congregate on the Internet and plan some protest for whatever they think is a big deal. Protests work. They protested East Liberty's Whole Foods expansion into that now vacant lot that had those dilapidated buildings on it. Whole Foods is still in that tiny location with no parking and no new jobs, so the protesters did get their way! Shame that group all have enough money that they don't care about more jobs, but I digress. Protests can work and these tiny groups with their misguided agendas can now be heard. Nothing anyone can really do about it. Police getting tough will just bring in the rich pros that will clog things worse.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:46 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,992,376 times
Quote:
Well, I have been thinking about this and I am not sure if Chief Scott Schubert and Bill Peduto have it right this time. The protests are dwindling and they almost didn't have enough people to even block the street down there. The protests are short (30 minutes), because what are 25-30 people really going to do? It looks too sparse to really have much of an effect and most people probably are just rolling their eyes.

I guess I am not sure if the police should get tough on this or not. If you break out the riot gear and have 100 cops clear the deck, that will get national attention and go viral. Then you might have the wealthy professional protesters roll into town for months because they have nothing better to do. I don't think this is as simple as we might make it out to be. Remember "Occupy Pittsburgh" that wealthy group that was camping out on BNY Mellon property downtown? They were there for what seemed like forever. It was pretty gross down there to say the least. Do we want the pros moving into town or should we put up with these little protests that aren't really a big deal in comparison?

I am slowly changing my tune on these protests because I don't want the rich pros moving in and making things worse. Let the local little people yell and scream for a while. Then there will be another flare-up depending on the verdict and that will go away until another gang member/drive-by kid gets shot by a cop and we can repeat the whole thing over again, but that might be years off.

Protests are going to be part of our lives now. Little meaningless groups of people can congregate on the Internet and plan some protest for whatever they think is a big deal. Protests work. They protested East Liberty's Whole Foods expansion into that now vacant lot that had those dilapidated buildings on it. Whole Foods is still in that tiny location with no parking and no new jobs, so the protesters did get their way! Shame that group all have enough money that they don't care about more jobs, but I digress. Protests can work and these tiny groups with their misguided agendas can now be heard. Nothing anyone can really do about it. Police getting tough will just bring in the rich pros that will clog things worse.

I never even finished reading your post because of the misinformation at the very beginning. The street was blocked yesterday for double the time you list and then it continued to other parts of town. All Bike Lane Bill is doing is making it clear that lawlessness is acceptable and there will not be any sanctions.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:49 AM

969 posts, read 772,565 times
Aren't we all mad again about today's protest??

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...c-hearing.html

Old 07-17-2018, 12:12 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
I never even finished reading your post..
Therefore this is all the further I got on yours since what would be the point of discussing anything with you? Good day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh