Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 10:06 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,099,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
It’s interesting to watch the posters who had centrist/mainstream democratic politics and questionable racial attitudes shift further and further to the right. If I didn’t know any better, I’d think the mainstream American conservative movement is built around racial resentment.
Ya think? hehe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 11:10 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,989,976 times
Quote:
It’s interesting to watch the posters who had centrist/mainstream democratic politics and questionable racial attitudes shift further and further to the right. If I didn’t know any better, I’d think the mainstream American conservative movement is built around racial resentment.
It isn't about racism it is about personal responsibility.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:33 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
I think it is just easier for some people to throw a simple label on something instead of studying the situation. I look at it this way. Most people don't want to be blocked in while trying to get home and just want protests to be lawful. Some don't want lawless to prevail as we see with Antwon being in a car involved in a drive-by 13 minutes prior to being shot. And then you have a small number of people that are racist, but that number would be very small because the protesters aren't all one race.

I don't care about the protests if they are lawful and not scaring people by being the our roadways. Pulling drivers out of a car, grabbing their keys and throwing them in the sewer and so-on isn't very good and people aren't going to stand for that. On a personal note, I understand the protests and feel they have a point. We don't want police shooting first, but this was a unique situation with a drive-by that just happened and an officer is going to be on self-preservation mode because he knows there are guns in that car and he was correct. There were guns that were freshly used. Not a position anyone wants to be in confronting all of that and he could have EASILY been shot and killed that day. Seems that most all these shootings involve someone that is involved in criminal activity and in this case a drive-by shooting isn't a traffic ticket, it is VERY serious. Many don't want people to get away with crime in general especially attempted murder, so they understand the police trying to survive, but the kid was fleeing, so there is that.

Now looking at my response, wouldn't it be easier to just say, "racism".

Old 07-27-2018, 11:45 AM

969 posts, read 771,435 times
Quote:
Riiiight.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:23 PM

4,994 posts, read 1,989,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I think it is just easier for some people to throw a simple label on something instead of studying the situation. I look at it this way. Most people don't want to be blocked in while trying to get home and just want protests to be lawful. Some don't want lawless to prevail as we see with Antwon being in a car involved in a drive-by 13 minutes prior to being shot. And then you have a small number of people that are racist, but that number would be very small because the protesters aren't all one race.

I don't care about the protests if they are lawful and not scaring people by being the our roadways. Pulling drivers out of a car, grabbing their keys and throwing them in the sewer and so-on isn't very good and people aren't going to stand for that. On a personal note, I understand the protests and feel they have a point. We don't want police shooting first, but this was a unique situation with a drive-by that just happened and an officer is going to be on self-preservation mode because he knows there are guns in that car and he was correct. There were guns that were freshly used. Not a position anyone wants to be in confronting all of that and he could have EASILY been shot and killed that day. Seems that most all these shootings involve someone that is involved in criminal activity and in this case a drive-by shooting isn't a traffic ticket, it is VERY serious. Many don't want people to get away with crime in general especially attempted murder, so they understand the police trying to survive, but the kid was fleeing, so there is that.

Now looking at my response, wouldn't it be easier to just say, "racism".
These protests are directed to the wrong place. This energy needs to be directed inward to the communities where this criminal activity is being nurtured. People are getting killed by police because they are involved in violent crime and do not respect the authority of the police.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:22 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,186,657 times
Quote:
These protests are directed to the wrong place. This energy needs to be directed inward to the communities where this criminal activity is being nurtured. People are getting killed by police because they are involved in violent crime and do not respect the authority of the police.
Bingo

Old 07-27-2018, 03:04 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Seems there is a protest going on downtown right now in the red zone testing the new laws, I believe and nothing is being done, so there is a new law but it isn't going to be enforced. It is what it is, but the privilege of the protesters is pretty amazing. Above all laws it seems. Oh well sorry for you folks that work downtown.

Old 07-27-2018, 03:06 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Shutting down the police has consequences for the public
The difference between a protest and shutting down the working people to empower those who don’t is a thin line

Old 07-28-2018, 03:41 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,898,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
anyone who is so selfish that they will do anything to advance themselves, no matter who they inconvenience or hurt.

It is sickening. So much hypocrisy.
Like the protesters trapping people on the Parkway - "so selfish that they will do anything to advance themselves, no matter who they inconvenience or hurt."

You're right -there is so much sickening hypocrisy.

Quote:
If I didn’t know any better, I’d think the mainstream American conservative movement is built around racial resentment.
And none of what we're seeing otherwise is built around racial resentment?
All other groups get to engage in identity politics - but only whitey is capable of being racist? It's that type of double standard that pushes white people closer to Trump. The racism of folks like Eric Holder after the election of Obama led to the election of Trump and his associated racists.

____

Quote:
“Over the last several demonstrations, we have witnessed almost tragedies, and we’re trying to prevent that from occurring,” Hissrich said when asked why new guidelines were issued. “It was escalating, in our opinion, and that was our concern. I witnessed where motorists were actually being held against their will, encircled by protesters, and that’s the makings of a potential tragedy.
“Both myself and (Schubert), we’ve approached protesters, and I won’t repeat what was said to us, but over the past several weeks, I don’t think I’ve heard so many obscenities,” Hissrich said.
"“I do not need any of you today to abide by these guidelines because they are not laws,” she said shortly before protesters marched to Market Square."

https://triblive.com/local/allegheny...cy-on-protests
Quote:
The protesters closed in around Public Safety Director Wendell Hissrich and police Chief Scott Schubert on the sidewalk at the corner of Grant Street and Forbes Avenue during an about two-hour protest around noon Friday.
The crowd angrily confronted the pair for several minutes, with some protesters shouting into bullhorns inches from the officials’ faces, who stood backed against a guardrail.
Chief Schubert remained silent during the exchange, while Director Hissrich attempted to speak with the protesters a few times, although the protesters often shouted him into silence.

Antwon Rose II protesters confront city officials in Downtown Pittsburgh | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The City of Pittsburgh has bent over backwards to accommodate these protests. Even though, as Bicycle Bill initially stated, the initial incident (the shooting of Rose) did not occur in the City of Pittsburgh. And this is how the protesters respond to people who tried to accommodate them.

Regarding the "don't need to abide by these guidelines, because they're not laws" statement - not blocking streets without a permit IS a law!

Old 07-28-2018, 09:26 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,186,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Like the protesters trapping people on the Parkway - "so selfish that they will do anything to advance themselves, no matter who they inconvenience or hurt."

You're right -there is so much sickening hypocrisy.

And none of what we're seeing otherwise is built around racial resentment?
All other groups get to engage in identity politics - but only whitey is capable of being racist? It's that type of double standard that pushes white people closer to Trump. The racism of folks like Eric Holder after the election of Obama led to the election of Trump and his associated racists.

____

The City of Pittsburgh has bent over backwards to accommodate these protests. Even though, as Bicycle Bill initially stated, the initial incident (the shooting of Rose) did not occur in the City of Pittsburgh. And this is how the protesters respond to people who tried to accommodate them.

Regarding the "don't need to abide by these guidelines, because they're not laws" statement - not blocking streets without a permit IS a law!
Double bingo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh