Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 07:21 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
1.)
I live in a sh*tty old Pittsburgh apartment, ...
SCR's apartment. Thanks for the invite to your party. I took a picture and it sure was a great time. Enjoy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 07:37 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
As for the building that may be torn down for the new apartments..yea for more density in that area, but I always liked the look of that building. It is not special other than in a strange stoic brooding kinda way.
Has anyone researched the history of that building? It's important to remember that the way a building looks is not the only reason it may have historical interest. Perhaps it was the site of an interesting historical event or person.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:50 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Why would you walk to Starbucks at 28th and Penn from Polish Hill when you have a coffee shop in Polish Hill? Same for Lower Lawrenceville (Espresso A Mano) and the Strip (La Prima).

As for the building that may be torn down for the new apartments..yea for more density in that area, but I always liked the look of that building. It is not special other than in a strange stoic brooding kinda way.
Maybe because I like Starbucks and don’t need to go to a local vegan coffee shop to be “ahead of the curve”?

Old 07-18-2018, 08:01 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
Quote:
Maybe because I like Starbucks and don’t need to go to a local vegan coffee shop to be “ahead of the curve”?
Supporting a local small business doesn’t put you ahead of any curve its just that I pegged you for more of boo big business, damn the man, keep it local kinda guy. I get it though, I like my Starbucks too.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:30 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Why would you walk to Starbucks at 28th and Penn from Polish Hill when you have a coffee shop in Polish Hill? Same for Lower Lawrenceville (Espresso A Mano) and the Strip (La Prima).
Didn't SCR specify a drive-through at 28th and Penn?

Old 07-19-2018, 06:54 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,140 times
Quote:
1.) The Refinery Condos, which are still under construction in the Strip District (between DiAnoia’s and Edgar’s), have already sold 11 high-end units. I think 1627 on the Strip is doing well, too.

2.) By “random single-story retail crud” do you mean like the proposal to demolish the Albright Church for a drive-through Starbucks? I still don’t understand why Starbucks won’t build a drive-through location in the Upper Strip near 28th & Penn—walkable to Lower Lawrenceville, Polish Hill, and the Strip and on the way for many commuters.

I live in a sh*tty old Pittsburgh apartment, and despite supply growing and demand slackening my rent has still been increasing. I don’t think there’s such a thing as “rents coming down”.
rent will never go down if you don't move to another place. moving is a pain and landlords know that

Old 07-19-2018, 06:56 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Great density building up in the Baum-Centre corridor. I would also like to see more of this, like Escahton said, all the way from Oakland to East Liberty. It's mostly withing walking distance of two busway stations, good bike access, and people are flocking to the area, many from other cities. Plus more new apartments means that rents can come down in the older buildings, making them affordable for more people.
people are flocking but population hasn't increased?

Old 07-19-2018, 06:57 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
Has anyone researched the history of that building? It's important to remember that the way a building looks is not the only reason it may have historical interest. Perhaps it was the site of an interesting historical event or person.
Looking at the GM Hopkins maps the right-hand portion of it was built out some time between 1903 and 1910. Originally a "Highland Auto Company" was there. It is probably one of the few remaining auto showrooms of that period. That said, the original front facade is mostly obscured by that metal paneling, so it's unclear how architecturally intact the building is behind.

Edit: It's funny looking at the historic maps and realizing as late as the 1920s Baum and Centre were still mostly fronted by single-family houses. All of the junk there now happened because grand old brick homes were torn down.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:26 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
Trau and Loevner, "a leader in screen-printed clothing," was located there for many years before moving recently to Braddock. They've been in business since 1897.

https://www.trau-loevner.com/about/

Old 07-19-2018, 10:40 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
Thanks, guys! I haven't wanted to research anything since the Pitt digital archives revamped their website and made it torture to look anything up.

It would be interesting to know what early autos may have been sold there. I know that Pittsburgh had a few early automobile manufacturers as well (as did Buffalo, Cleveland and some other cities).

It's a shame to see neat old stuff removed for more generic modern buildings. Couldn't they find a vacant lot, or buy out Arby's? Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh