Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 05:14 PM

615 posts, read 393,805 times

Advertisements

I thought this was a great article. Future job seekers in Pittsburgh may not need a college degree.

https://www.publicsource.org/college...t-require-one/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 11:40 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,888,515 times
Unless a person is a STEM major, the degree is worthless.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:32 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,707,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post

I respectfully disagree. Education is never useless or worthless.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:44 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,413,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
I respectfully disagree. Education is never useless or worthless.

Err... the quote says the DEGREE is worthless, zero info about Education. They are wholly separate things. But nice try at deflecting and creating drama where none exists.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
It depends if you are willing to be flexible and move to where your degree will get you a job. Degrees aren’t worthless.

Trying to get a good job quickly in Pittsburgh with a degree other than nursing or something related to high tech or computers is difficult. Especially to payback your loans buy a house in a decent area etc. Area high schools need to do their part and inform students as to what jobs are available if they want to stay in Pittsburgh and the training needed to obtain that job. If it is a tech or vocational school that is what they should push as opposed to college. They need to make students well aware if they choose college and want a good job when they graduate they may not be able to live down the street from mom and dad in Pittsburgh. They will have to research where they can get that job.

I know plenty of people with college degrees in Pittsburgh working two jobs to make ends meet. They couldn’t find something in their field locally that pays well instead of moving somewhere where their degree will get them a job. They feel slighted, but this is their fault because they refuse make a move where that job could be. If you are happy here then so be it, but don’t complain your degree is in something not in demand here and the best you can do is work two jobs to pay the bills.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:30 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Err... the quote says the DEGREE is worthless, zero info about Education. They are wholly separate things. But nice try at deflecting and creating drama where none exists.
Hey, I just thought I'd type a quick reply to the only person in this topic worth replying to so far. I hope your weekend has been as relaxing as mine.

By the way, my brother just got a $10,000 annual raise this year, and his wife just put in a two-week notice at her current part-time job, because she begins work at a full-time job next month. She's the only person I know in the Pittsburgh area without a college degree, and, probably not coincidentally, she's been the only one with any difficulty finding full-time work. Also worth noting is that she and my brother are now making plans to move to a different suburb specifically to be farther away from her parents. Come to think of it, everybody else I know in the Pittsburgh area has a college degree, gainful employment, a mortgage, and a middle- to upper-middle-class quality of life. The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:18 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,032,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
I know plenty of people with college degrees in Pittsburgh working two jobs to make ends meet.
I am trying to imagine a situation in which someone could not afford to live in the Pittsburgh area. It's one of the more affordable cities, and the suburbs especially so. It's not hard to find an apartment for $500 in the suburbs, and most anyone could afford that. Even Mt. Lebanon, Sewickley, and Aspinwall have affordable apartments, and all have good school districts. I am sure that paying back school loans is difficult, but not when rent is so low. I will say that the housing costs in some sections of the city are pretty high, but that doesn't apply to everywhere in the metro.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
I am trying to imagine a situation in which someone could not afford to live in the Pittsburgh area. It's one of the more affordable cities, and the suburbs especially so. It's not hard to find an apartment for $500 in the suburbs, and most anyone could afford that. Even Mt. Lebanon, Sewickley, and Aspinwall have affordable apartments, and all have good school districts. I am sure that paying back school loans is difficult, but not when rent is so low. I will say that the housing costs in some sections of the city are pretty high, but that doesn't apply to everywhere in the metro.
They are paying off college loans. Both couples have one child and the parents both work. So daycare is an expense as well. They want to own a house and not rent an apartment. I’m not sure exactly where they were looking but he wants to move to a new city and she wants to stay because of her family.

They weren’t told and didn’t do their research when going to college. If you want to live in very desirable suburbs of Pittsburgh or the hot neighborhoods you better do your research on jobs that are available. It just comes down to inflexibility on their part. They don’t want to adopt your style of living as we discussed in another thread. They want the nice house with 2 car garage it seems. Their degrees and skill sets aren’t in demand and don’t pay in Pittsburgh to live that lifestyle.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:41 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
Personally, at this point I think college is a joke. Those who seek employment should be poached from high school. Why wait? Companies can educate them as needed. College is outdated and companies should be recruiting in high school. They are missing the boat. You can always go back to college, but if companies would recruit like they do for the NBA for example, they would be WAY better off.

So you are a hot shot in high school with A's and a high SAT, not to mention you are a leader in many extra activities. You are a company having a look. Why not grab that kid and say if you don't like working for us, we will pay a year of college or whatever. It amazes me how slow companies are to change. Why wait for 4 years when we all know who the best prospects are in high school? Odd really. Sports teams would LOVE to recruit out of high school. Heck they look at grade school. WAY ahead of cooperate America.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:52 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,194,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Personally, at this point I think college is a joke. Those who seek employment should be poached from high school. Why wait? Companies can educate them as needed. College is outdated and companies should be recruiting in high school. They are missing the boat. You can always go back to college, but if companies would recruit like they do for the NBA for example, they would be WAY better off.

So you are a hot shot in high school with A's and a high SAT, not to mention you are a leader in many extra activities. You are a company having a look. Why not grab that kid and say if you don't like working for us, we will pay a year of college or whatever. It amazes me how slow companies are to change. Why wait for 4 years when we all know who the best prospects are in high school? Odd really. Sports teams would LOVE to recruit out of high school. Heck they look at grade school. WAY ahead of cooperate America.
Don’t know what professional line/s of work you’re referring to, but for the most part, that’s a recipe for babysitting and going out of business. No way was I or anyone else hiring an engineer/s without a degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh