Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 05:53 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,877,652 times

Advertisements

I might note that "bobbytiffy" apparently joined today for the sole purpose of posting largely the same negative comments in three threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 12:25 PM

15,632 posts, read 26,122,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
That isn't uncommon for any city, actually. Most people at certain ages have interests in seeing other aspects of life.

Then again, most people will claim the majority of folks in Pittsburgh never step out of Pittsburgh boundaries.

Sorta ironic how "everyone wants to leave and yet no one ever leaves"

EH??

LOL.
The irony I see in that is when you hear about other places where people do the exact same thing (never go out of their comfort boundaries) it's considered charming... I had several coworkers who had never gone to Napa -- a mere hour and half drive. Never been to Marin County.

They all seemed amazed that we spent nearly every weekend traveling around and seeing what's what in California.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:20 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
I have found it's the midwesterners that love to travel. Go to any western city and you'll see a lot of midwestern license plates.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:08 AM

10 posts, read 25,404 times
Welcome ! Glad you like it. There are some naysayers, but I suspect these are the people who think that every city should be one big bland all night dance club, where everyone wears designer clothes and wreaks of Grey Goose and Chanel No. 5.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:46 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,306,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbytiffy View Post
you are moving in and I am trying to get the heck out of here. I have been here all my life and I must say I hate it. My husband is from Philly and he loves it here. I have come to realize that people who grow up in Pgh really want to get the heck out and people that move here from other areas seem to love it--WHY--I have absolutely NO idea. My sister moved away 6 months ago--to Cleveland--and she absolutely loves it there. She is paid $10 more an hour (on average since she is a nurse) in Cleveland than in any of the UPMC, WPAHS, etc. hospital in Pgh. My job would pay $12,000 more a year on average if I moved to anywhere else other than Pgh. My taxes are high--higher than my sister/brother in law who live in Raleigh and they paid $200,000 MORE for their house. Makes absolutely no sense to me. And the school districts around here--since I grew up here I know which ones NOT to send my children to and it seems that would be just about 75% of them. Will let you know when I finally get out of this city.
Are talking about the CITY of pittsburgh schools? I only ask because many of the school districts I looked into were great. (Not city) They couldn't possibly be any worse than the city of Phoenix schools!

Old 04-03-2008, 04:10 PM

14 posts, read 60,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoeppel View Post
Glad you like the area. Where are you from originally?

Dearborn, MI

Old 04-03-2008, 04:24 PM

14 posts, read 60,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
I think it's really interesting and fantastic that you saw the areas you did, from booming and modern suburbs, to old-fashioned urban neighborhoods, from old to new money and back, from growing to declining areas.

I bet you got an excellent feel for the area, good for you.
Well, it's not like I just stumbled upon the areas that I went to. I did a lot of research, and a lot of it had to do with information I read on here. There was a real struggle that went on in my head between the old and new area's. A lot of the homes in the older area's needed work, but the older neighborhoods had the real neighborhood feel, and most of the homes in the newer neighborhoods were very nice and pretty, but it didn't have that strong of a neighborhood feel. So I think Penn Hills offered an equal amount of everything I was looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh