Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2018, 07:09 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times

Advertisements

I'm using authorial fiat here and doing one of my rare "combo posts" - covering both Springdale Borough and Township together. This is because not only are they alphabetically adjacent, but also because both are relatively small, and I don't anticipate much discussion.

Springdale (the borough) is located on the Allegheny River, just upriver from Cheswick. Springdale (the township) is located to the north of Springdale borough and Cheswick. It also fronts on the Allegheny to its east, but this is a steep bank with essentially no developable space between Freeport Road, the railroad tracks, and the river, so it remains totally undeveloped except for an industrial zone at its far southern edge. These two municipalities, along with Cheswick and parts of nearby Harmar Township, form their own sub-metro area, with Springdale borough essentially functioning as the "city" and the others as the "suburbs."

I can find essentially zero information on Springdale Borough's history online. Judging by census records, the borough likely incorporated in the 1870s, because the 1880 census was the first one for which a population was recorded (456 people). By 1930, the population had expanded to almost 4,800. While it climbed around another 200 people by 1940, steady decline set in after that - likely because people who worked in Springdale moved to the new more suburban options in Springdale Township, Cheswick, and Harmar. The borough is perhaps most well-known for being the birthplace of Rachel Carson, with the Rachel Carson Homestead today on the national register of historic places. Springdale has a modest walkable business district on Pittsburgh Street (the name of Freeport Road in the area). The housing stock is modest, with the earliest homes the typical detached frame structures found outside of the urban core in Pittsburgh, though for the most part early to mid 20th century styles like bungalows, foursquares, or cape cods predominate.

Springdale Township seems to be more or less the "leftover bits" which remained after Springdale Borough and Cheswick incorporated. Despite being over twice as big as the borough in land area (2.25 vs 0.93 square miles) it has a far smaller population today (1,603 vs 3,334). There are two distinct neighborhoods. Orrville is directly to the north of Springdale borough, a series of suburban-to-rural streets spilling north off of Butler Road. Harwick, the larger neighborhood, is to the north of Cheswick. It's also suburban, but seems to contain a little bit of everything, from mini-trailer parks a relatively new construction condo community. Large portions of the township remain totally undeveloped - likely because local residential demand was never strong enough to warrant the area filling out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 07:36 AM

433 posts, read 287,197 times
Springdale, AKA "the party city," has Glen's Custard which is very good, better than Rita's and other soft serve places in my opinion, and much cheaper too. Apparently, there is also an air pollution issue in Springdale from the power plant that never seems to get rectified.

I never knew there was a difference between Springdale Township and Springdale Borough.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:42 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor Face View Post
Springdale, AKA "the party city," has Glen's Custard which is very good, better than Rita's and other soft serve places in my opinion, and much cheaper too. Apparently, there is also an air pollution issue in Springdale from the power plant that never seems to get rectified.

I never knew there was a difference between Springdale Township and Springdale Borough.
I think like a lot of townships people tend to identify more with their zip code name or their neighborhood than the township itself.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:23 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,964,705 times
There is a good brewpub in Springdale called the Leaning Cask. They have food trucks there, so no food served. It is a dog friendly English style brewpub which is rare in our area, since most brewpubs are all hopped up. They often will have rugby, soccer or whatever British is on their TVs, but no sound thankfully. I quite like that brewpub. Glen's custard has been there a very long time. I used to go as a kid and for many years. Springdale seems to do okay and the people there take care of their homes, so it isn't a run down place.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:24 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,582,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor Face View Post
Springdale, AKA "the party city," has Glen's Custard which is very good...
Haha! The Party City! I remember kids used to spray paint that on the railroad bridge there in Springdale! I wonder if its still there?

Glen's Custard is the best! They have one in Lower Burrell, too, and I have read that there is now one in Phoenix, AZ!

The Springdale Carnival was sort of a big draw for the area back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
There is a good brewpub in Springdale called the Leaning Cask.
I'll be back home in September and plan (hope) to visit this place!

Old 07-23-2018, 09:23 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Haha! The Party City! I remember kids used to spray paint that on the railroad bridge there in Springdale! I wonder if its still there?

Glen's Custard is the best! They have one in Lower Burrell, too, and I have read that there is now one in Phoenix, AZ!

The Springdale Carnival was sort of a big draw for the area back in the day.

I'll be back home in September and plan (hope) to visit this place!
Oh and I forgot to mention the 4th of July there is probably one of the best in our region as far as a suburb goes. Obviously not the city, but still they have a ground show and a big deal going on for the 4th. Much better than any suburb around that I know of.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:17 AM

433 posts, read 287,197 times
"Haha! The Party City! I remember kids used to spray paint that on the railroad bridge there in Springdale! I wonder if its still there?"

Unfortunately, it's not there anymore although, give it time and perhaps someone will be encouraged to do so. Always thought that was funny.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:51 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
At first I couldn't remember that, but oddly I do remember that now. Springdale is a pretty cool little town and I know a few people from there and some that moved there because it was reasonable and a safe neighborhood with an okay school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh