Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 08:23 AM

12 posts, read 44,575 times

Advertisements

Hi Daisy10. I grew up in Center Twp in Butler county in a development called Timberly Heights. There's been rapid growth in that area and there are plenty of nice subdivisions. However it is about a 30min drive into Cranberry. Gibsonia is a bit closer as well as Mars. Both are ALSO growing rapidly as an extension of Cranberry's boom. Once you get into Allegheny County (Warrendale/Wexford/Franklin et al) you'll see higher home prices/taxes.

We currently live in the Harmony/Zelienople area (16037/16063) which is just 10 min north of Cranberry. We LOVE it here. Our neighbors our wonderful down-to-earth people as well as everyone throughout this community...very comfortable hometown feel, unpretentious. Not sure about current home sales but I'm guessing in our neighborhood they are valued at around $200-$300K. (I think most are at least 4Br/2.5Ba and less than 10yo)

It's an excellent location!!!
We walk into quaint historic Harmony.
www.zhcc.cc
Dining in Butler County, Pennsylvania (http://visit-butler-county-pennsylvania-pa.com/dining/dining.asp - broken link)
My daughter takes dance class at Siri's and across the street is Otto & Gert's - and old fashioned style Mom&Pop Store/Ice Cream Shoppe. In the summer they close off the street & have live music on the porch of the Harmony Inn. (And of course you can grab a drink while you're being entertained!)
Downtown Zelie has plenty of charm as well. Fun small summer festivals and cute shops.
Its also close to shopping in the strip mall/chain restaurant craziness of Cranberry (a straight shot up Rt 19 ot I-79) and about 30min to the culture & entertainment of Pittsburgh. My kids are young and they love going to the Museums, Science Center, Pirate Games even Musicals at the Benedum. Moraine State Park is 10 mins north to hike, fish, boat.

There are many GREAT schools in the Pittsburgh area. Again, my children are younger and attend Elementary School in Seneca Valley - I've loved every one of their teachers. They are have a great curriculum and am constantly impressed with what/how much they are learning. Not to mention the concern & care they provide their students.

Unfortunately I can't tell you much about hockey but you can check out the Seneca Valley hockey website: Seneca Valley Hockey Association
My friend's son was in an in-house leaugue at a place called Bladerunners:
BladeRunners Ice Complex - With 3 ice skating rinks surrounding Pittsburgh to serve you.

I hope I've offered some insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 01:00 PM

8 posts, read 20,890 times
sukihaido

Sukihaido,

We just took a little house hunting trip this past weekend and looked in Cranberry, Mars, Adams Township, Franklin Park and Marshall. I asked my Realtor about Zelienople and she discouraged me from looking there stating "the growth is in these areas"
Where you live sounds like a great place to live so maybe I'll have to "dig" a little deeper and find out why she is discouraging us from Zelienople(sp.) My husband says he can't live in a place he can't pronounce(haha)
Thanks for you help!

Old 04-14-2008, 04:29 PM

31 posts, read 164,281 times
Default Mt. Lebanon is great

Hi, I'm a Pittsburgh native who lived in another state for over a decade. When I moved back, the two neighborhoods I really wanted to move to were Mt. Lebanon & Squirrel Hill because I love the older architecture.
Mt. Lebanon won out because the schools are ranked so high. Twice in the past five years Mt. Lebanon school district was rated in the top 10 in the nation.
It's also a diverse neighborhood, great for kids, and lots to do.
It is a bit of a drive from Wexford, but you can probably do it in 1/2 hour.
Wendy Piquette
Moderator cut: URL removed

Last edited by Marka; 04-19-2008 at 04:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh