Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 08:52 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,772,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Pittsburgh drivers are really bad at merging. Be prepared for cars coming to a complete stop at the end of acceleration ramps, and other drivers to not let you in or not know what to do if you try to let them in (which is a seamless process almost everywhere else.)

Definitely not a seamless process everywhere else. I drive all over the mid-atlantic all the time for work, and its a problem a lot of the time. Pittsburgh is probably worse than most of the other cities though, and some of it may be due to lack of visibility in a lot of merge areas, due to the roads and topography. also still a lot of elderly drivers in the Pgh area and they almost always are more slow and careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 09:37 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
My best advice is...

On your day off, when you have nothing better to do..

Start driving around randomly in the city / county area, explore, and purposely get lost! Then try to find your way back using visual cues. Then get lost, find your way back, get lost again. Not only is this kind of fun, you will learn your way around based on visual cues, you will make mistakes and learn which way not to go, etc. The city is a lot of fun to explore. Just get lost enough times and everything will look faniliar.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:00 PM

219 posts, read 157,659 times
I know how to merge properly, but I'm not about to pull out into oncoming traffic--especially when merging onto the Parkway West. More often than not, the drivers are not paying one whit of attention to traffic, let alone paying enough attention to do the courtesy maneuver of moving over one lane (when possible, of course) to let merging traffic onto the freeway. Watch out for drivers that try to pull around you on entrance ramps, O.P. It happens all too often.

Adding to PreservationPioneer's advice (which is excellent, as always), if you ever ask for directions, be prepared for people to give you directions via landmarks that no longer exist. Once you adapt to becoming a full-fledged yinzer yourself, you'll find yourself doing the same thing. :-)

Taking the time to navigate the area via the old colored "belt" system is fun and will introduce you to all sorts of useful back ways around the region. Given the suburban Pittsburgh habits of never wishing to cross a bridge or go through a tunnel and having been married to a contractor who did work all around the city and beyond, I've found that I know my way around this area far better than many natives.

For someone who loves to drive and finds that discovering new places and ways around the city to be fun, Pittsburgh is wonderful. Happy travels!

Old 08-04-2018, 10:15 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,644 times
Buy a bicycle and ride it around the city. I have learned more about navigating the city in this way than any other. There is something about the bike that allows you to take your time, look around, remember landmarks and intersections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh