Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 06:35 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,034,334 times

Advertisements

To be fair, all of Pittsburgh's nicest homes burned in the Great Fire of 1845.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 08:30 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Many of we Millennials can’t afford the entry cost to purchase our first homes, hence why we rent. I know it’s a foreign concept to some on here who are out-of-touch, but cobbling together thousands to buy a home is tough in a city where the average rent on a 1-BR is $1,000/month+ and where most I know earn sub-$50,000/year and have $300/month student loan payments. Eventually you just feel trapped/hopeless and give up on your dreams, as I have.

If I could buy a $50,000 home in need of TLC in Elliott I’d be paying <50% of my current rent for a crappy 1-BR apartment.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:08 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Many of we Millennials can’t afford the entry cost to purchase our first homes...Eventually you just feel trapped/hopeless and give up on your dreams, as I have.
and that is one problem - the expectation of instant gratification. it takes time. you're not even 30, are you? you should move to a lower rent domicile, then take that difference and consider it a windfall savings.
hang in there, and give it time (provided you use your head and have self-discipline).

Old 08-08-2018, 06:13 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,899,604 times
Quote:
Many of we Millennials can’t afford the entry cost to purchase our first homes, hence why we rent. I know it’s a foreign concept to some on here who are out-of-touch, but cobbling together thousands to buy a home is tough in a city where the average rent on a 1-BR is $1,000/month+ and where most I know earn sub-$50,000/year and have $300/month student loan payments. Eventually you just feel trapped/hopeless and give up on your dreams, as I have.

If I could buy a $50,000 home in need of TLC in Elliott I’d be paying <50% of my current rent for a crappy 1-BR apartment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
and that is one problem - the expectation of instant gratification. it takes time. you're not even 30, are you? you should move to a lower rent domicile, then take that difference and consider it a windfall savings.
hang in there, and give it time (provided you use your head and have self-discipline).
I earn a working class salary (that is balanced out by having fantastic benefits).

The thing is, you can either live in the East End. Or you can be a home-owner. With salaries like ours, you simply can't have both. I lucked out in that I received a small windfall from my divorce settlement, and I qualified for a VA mortgage (no down-payment, and no private mortgage insurance).

Seriously - consider a job with the County, you'll still have the good vibes of public service, stable employment, and excellent benefits. But your residency restriction will be wider - you can live anywhere in the County. Consider doing that and considering a first-ring suburb.

Your voice is too small to matter in the City. You're not a professor or a philanthropist.
But in a suburban community, your passion for where you live can provide direct benefits and your voice can be heard by your municipal leaders.

I wish you luck. I know it sucks, and our generation really got screwed by our parents' generation..

Old 08-08-2018, 07:36 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,459,774 times
Quote:

if you honestly want to buy a 50-70k house you could have done so by now several times over. Im not trying to pick on you but just trying to make an example. By changing small habits on your lifestyle and maybe picking up a side hustle you could easily save the funds needed in about 1 year. possibly less. Everyone makes decisions everyday on our personal finances. You can either complain that its just too hard to do, or lay out the plan needed to make it happen, and stick to it long enough to see it through.

I honestly hope to see you posting on here about how you closed on your first home someday in the near future.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:46 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,186 times
Quote:

You could do what I did years ago & live in a sh*tty area with a bunch of roommates, eat the cheapest stuff you can get at the grocer & watch your bank account grow. Know way too many younger people who state the same thing but find the concept of not living where they want or eating/drinking out when they want as if it’s a foreign concept.

For a $50,000 home, in the right areas you only need a 3% downpayment + other closing costs - $3000 should not be difficult to save over time by anyone who is employed above minimum wage.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:56 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,130,377 times
But keep in mind a 50k house will likely have issues, I don't care where you are looking. Issues means you better not be trying to use an FHA loan to get it or it will be a pain. There are some under 60k that would work for FHA but you have to be completely open to location because they are hard to find.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:06 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,459,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
But keep in mind a 50k house will likely have issues, I don't care where you are looking. Issues means you better not be trying to use an FHA loan to get it or it will be a pain. There are some under 60k that would work for FHA but you have to be completely open to location because they are hard to find.
there are livable homes in Elliot as SCR mentions wanting to buy for 50-70k at pretty much any time. Ive sold several in the area in that price range that needed nothing more than a paint job and some elbow grease.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:13 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post

I don't know, this house looks pretty good for the price. I would say a really good scrubbing and some consistent paint colors would go a long way. Close to public transportation too.

https://www.redfin.com/PA/Pittsburgh.../home/74535861

Old 08-08-2018, 08:36 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,337 times
SCR, I know you have some sort of negative feelings toward the North Side as a whole, but this hilltop is quiet and this street has killer views:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...ct/15_zm/1_fr/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh