Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2008, 09:22 AM

114 posts, read 349,082 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! So I visited Pittsburgh a few weeks ago (moving there in August to go to grad school @ Pitt) and I saw several neighborhoods. I really liked squirrel hill and shadyside was okay. I didn't get a chance to see Highland Park and was wondering what it's like. I am looking for a nice, clean, safe, family-oriented neighborhood. I will have a dog, so is the park there nice for walking a dog? I think the bus runs to Oakland, right? Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 09:37 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,861,408 times
Highland Park has a very similar history and look to Squirrel Hill, except it doesn't have the same sort of shopping area as Squirrel Hill (I think there are a couple convenience stores and restaurants, but not much else). As a result, Highland Park has a very residential feeling, almost suburban. And given that Highland Park contains the Pittsburgh Zoo and Aquarium, it is quite popular with families (I don't know about the dog situation specifically, but the park is huge, and Pittsburgh is a dog town, so I would guess it is fine). And yes, Highland Park does have a lot of bus service into Oakland, although I am not sure how much they run on weekends.

Anyway, it sounds like a pretty promising neighborhood for you, since you liked Squirrel Hill and given your other preferences. So, I would definitely recommend considering it.

By the way, lots of grad students and professors end up in Highland Park--basically the ones not so much interested in a lot of nightlife, as you might find in Shadyside or Squirrel Hill.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:19 PM

84 posts, read 409,904 times
I live in Highland Park and I love it. My friend lives here too and she loves it as well. The 71A goes straight into Oakland, yes...and there is a really nice park in highland park and the zoo...it's very nice. I love the coffee shop (Union Project) at the corner of Stanton and Negley and it's really a pretty neighborhood. It's close to everything and it's pretty quiet.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:19 AM

Are the neighborhoods that border highland park nice or sketchy? Is highland park at all like regent square? I didn't really like that area as much, so that's why i ask.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut33 View Post
Are the neighborhoods that border highland park nice or sketchy?
Highland Park is bordered on two sides by the park, so that is fine. A third side borders on Morningside, which is also fine. The part that sometimes concerns people is the fourth side, which borders on East Liberty. East Liberty is a transitional neighborhood, meaning it has been gradually making a recovery after hitting a low point, in part thanks to some recent commercial development in the neighborhood (recently Home Depot, Whole Foods, and Trader Joes have located in East Liberty, and there are also a bunch of new or renovated bars, restaurants, and shops, with more surely to follow), and in part thanks to some ill-conceived highrise housing projects being torn down.

Anyway, if you are concerned about East Liberty, the standard advice is just to find a place somewhat deeper north into Highland Park, since the other three sides are fine. Personally, I think just staying north of Jackson is all the "buffer" a person concerned about East Liberty might need, particularly considering that there isn't a lot of commercial development in Highland Park that could serve as a locus for street crime.

Quote:
Is highland park at all like regent square? I didn't really like that area as much, so that's why i ask.
Highland Park is indeed a little like Regent Square in my view, but I would also say Regent Square is a little like Squirrel Hill, which you really liked. So, it might be useful for you to explain what you liked about Squirrel Hill as opposed to Regent Square, and then we could assess whether Highland Park is suitable.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:38 PM

I guess I liked the business district of squirrel hill with all the shops, etc. The comment above says that highland park lacks that, so I guess i'll just have to visit and see how i like it! Thanks everyone for the comments

Old 04-02-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut33 View Post
I guess I liked the business district of squirrel hill with all the shops, etc. The comment above says that highland park lacks that, so I guess i'll just have to visit and see how i like it! Thanks everyone for the comments
That is indeed a pretty unique aspect of Squirrel Hill among the more family-oriented East End neighborhoods (they might have a little retail, but nothing quite like Squirrel Hill, and other neighborhoods like Shadyside have a lot of retail, but are not really as much of a family-oriented neighborhood as Squirrel Hill).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh