Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2008, 11:54 AM

314 posts, read 846,986 times

Advertisements

As many of you know, we are moving soon. Less than 2 months to go!!!! Anyway, I have looked at all the past posts about Brookline and don't feel I have really got the feel for the place. I am really intrigued by the cute little business area and the prices to rent are great. I ahve a 7 yr old and a 14 yr old and while I don't mind sending them to private school, I would love it if public schools would suffice. I also wanna feel as safe as one can living in the city. Any and all input about the area would be soooo appreciated. So sound off guys. I know ya'll love to talk about this town

Last edited by jinxd_13; 04-01-2008 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: misspelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 01:16 PM

269 posts, read 1,007,986 times
If you lived in Beechview or Brookline and have enough money to send your kids to private school I would suggest just moving next door to Mt Lebanon. Mt Lebanon is better than many private schools.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:28 PM

29,661 posts, read 34,166,724 times
I live in Beechview, and I like it. It's not perfect--the business district really needs to be redeveloped, and some of the houses are a mess. On the plus side, it's right on the T, there's easy access to 279 and downtown, and all of my neighbors are really nice. We've been having monthly community meetings about neighborhood issues, and the meetings draw 100+ people, which shows that residents are dedicated to their neighborhood. I don't know much about the schools, but at the community meetings schools were mentioned several times in the "good things about Beechview" discussion--there are elementary, middle, and high schools all in the neighborhood.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:55 PM

314 posts, read 846,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I live in Beechview, and I like it. It's not perfect--the business district really needs to be redeveloped, and some of the houses are a mess. On the plus side, it's right on the T, there's easy access to 279 and downtown, and all of my neighbors are really nice. We've been having monthly community meetings about neighborhood issues, and the meetings draw 100+ people, which shows that residents are dedicated to their neighborhood. I don't know much about the schools, but at the community meetings schools were mentioned several times in the "good things about Beechview" discussion--there are elementary, middle, and high schools all in the neighborhood.
Wow. That is really encouraging. It is a real indication of a neighborhoods merit that people are that interested. One of the reason's I want top live in the city is I have heard that the fine arts school is free if you live in the city limits. My son is a talented guitarist and he can pretty much pick up an instrument and learn to play it. He is about to be 15 and I really want to find him a group of peers with similar interests because he is also hyper and outgoing and tends to gravitate towards the "fun" crowd. Anyway, I am not sure how much the school would be outside the city or if it even warrants wanting to stay in the city with the wage tax being higher. We have also kind of romanticized the idea of living "in the city" and I get the impression that Mt Lebanon is a little more "soccer momville" if ya know what I mean and I would like to avoid that whole mentality as it is what I am leaving behind here

Last edited by jinxd_13; 04-01-2008 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: misspell

Old 04-01-2008, 02:01 PM

29,661 posts, read 34,166,724 times
And even if Mt. Lebanon's not your scene to live there, you can easily drive there or hop on the T to partake in its shops, restaurants, and activities and then go home.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:19 PM

439 posts, read 1,469,169 times
I would say brookline over beechview, I grew up in brookline and drive through beechview every day. Brookline is in better shape. Parts of beechview are nicer (north of Crane) and closer to the southern part of west liberty.

Brookline has areas that are very dense and other areas that are suburb like.

--Ray

Old 04-02-2008, 11:31 AM

14 posts, read 34,829 times
Default I'd concur with Ray

I'm in agreement with Ray about Brookline. It maintains a good reputation with regards to quality of life, availability of certain amenities, and even public schools. My fiance currently substitute teachers within Pittsburgh Public School District and has found Brookline Elementary to harbor a solid curriculum, respectful students, and impressive teaching staff. Brookline is unique in it's proximity to city attractions and the general comeraderie of its residents. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh