Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 10:16 PM

52 posts, read 225,541 times

Advertisements

Tonight, my husband and I put an offer on a beautiful house in Carnegie. It's on a very nice street. However, only after signing all the contracts, did we learn of the home's proximity to Carnegie Towers, a HUD property. To be exact, it's a quarter-mile away, separated by a highway. (I can't believe I never discovered this during my extensive research/asking around).

I don't have a problem with government-subsidized houses per se. What I'm more concerned about is the multitude of serious crimes and misdemeanors that have taken place at the high-rise building. I'm curious whether Carnegie Towers affects other areas of the community, and if so how. Our realtor tried to assure us that the tenants don't bother anyone; then again, she's trying to do her job and make money.

I am comfortable with urban living and mixed income neighborhoods. But, I don't want to feel afraid to live in this home. I would appreciate any sincere advice from current Carnegie residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 11:28 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,208,144 times
Check out

"http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/PA-Carnegie-Carnegie-Towers.html"
Carnegie Towers Apartment Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Carnegie apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

Old 04-02-2008, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzman66 View Post
Check out

"http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/PA-Carnegie-Carnegie-Towers.html"
Carnegie Towers Apartment Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Carnegie apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com
Thank you for the link. I came across that information too--after we signed! I guess what I'm trying to find out is whether or not the crime is isolated to that immediate area or whether it wreaks havoc on other streets of Carnegie.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:46 AM

267 posts, read 812,439 times
My husband and I bought a house literally right around the corner from the towers back in '93. We didn't realize it was a HUD property; our house was a beautiful old Victorian.

I'm not against Section 8 per se, but there was trash constantly around the area. My husband and I even picked up the trash that was around the towers and we didn't even live there. Then we starting noticing lots of hanging out of people who probably didn't live there; police cars racing up there at all hours; etc. The final straw came in '99 when I had just put our one-year-old to bed. There was a deafening noise, and I called down to my husband: Was that a gunshot? To which he replied 'Yes".

The next day we called a realtor and sold the house. A month after we moved into our new home, I saw in the paper that a woman had been murdered in the Towers.

If you're separated by a highway, I don't think there's a problem, however. Like I say, we were RIGHT around the corner. My girlfriend lived in an apartment in a house next to the Towers, and there were constantly people hanging out on her fron porch at all hours. She moved the year before we did.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:56 PM

269 posts, read 1,006,834 times
Did you put any money down? If not, then pull out. If you did, I'm sure you can find a way to get out of the house. (i.e. "I didn't know that the right side of the house needs some repointing...., deals off."

Old 04-02-2008, 05:34 PM

240 posts, read 834,731 times
Call the local police department (non-emergency number) and ask them about the crime near your new house.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:23 PM

80 posts, read 264,221 times
1.) Just forfeit the earnest money.
2.) Did you go with an option 1 or an option 2 for the home inspection? The home inspection could give you an out without losing the earnest money

You're not stuck. Trust me.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:27 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys. We were able to rescind our offer with no problem. The realtor never had a chance to present the offer to the sellers. I'm glad we were quick about it. She agreed to shred the documents and we'll be getting our hand money back.

Part of me is kicking myself for having to do this. I loved the house.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:03 PM

85 posts, read 285,637 times
My sister and her fiance lived nearby for awhile and had a similar experience to the above poster. There was a break-in and rape on their street not long before they decided to move out.

If you lived on the other side of 79 or Rt. 50 you would probably not have any problems. Ppl who live nearby would be happy to see the place disappear.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 5,243 times
Default Live there

Hi. I live in Carnegie now and thought I would give you my 2 cents. I like Carnegie, and after living in Baltimore for several years "The towers" aren't all that bad.
The good areas:
Around Carnegie Park
Parts of Rosslyn Heights
Parts of Cubbage Hill

Safe for the most part areas:
The rest of the Heights and the Hill
Around the School
Pockets of areas in the Flats are nice too. Near the Funeral Homes

Not the best choice:
Beechwood Avenue-Nice Close Proximity to Towers
Use caution around Irishtown and the Flats Loads of rentals so it can change quick.

It seems the Tower is contained to Washington Avenue the Scott Twp border and the creek. It occasionally goes to the downtown area but not too often.

After the flood alot of properties became rentals and thats the problem.
It sounds like you want a victorian, have you looked in Crafton??
A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh