Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 02:41 PM

6,295 posts, read 11,007,815 times

Advertisements

Corporate America in Pittsburgh may believe you are overqualified. I know that plenty of underemployed people live in places like Boulder, CO and Eugene, OR. They take any job they can get simply because they want to live there. I recall running into people with Masters Degrees working retail and in restaurants. But it is obviously a different culture in both those cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 11:00 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLizzy View Post
I have a Bachelors degree in Human Resources, and Associates degree in Accounting and quite a few years in work experience and was recently told that I was not considered for a Customer Service job after two interviews.
My brother had a degree from Penn State and 20+ yrs experience in HR when he moved back to Pittsburgh. It took him a year to find a job, and then he took a large pay cut. I'd say it's a tough field in Pgh, for some reason.

Quote:
I know that plenty of underemployed people live in places like Boulder, CO and Eugene, OR.
My DH has a PhD in physics and he has been told many times he was overqualified for jobs in the Denver/Boulder area. He is now working as an engineer in Boulder. There are plenty of restaurants and retail stores at which to be employed in that town, I'll grant you.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:43 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,174,173 times
Take a step down to step up in a company. Apply for an entry level position. It seems to me that you may need to work on your interview skills as well. I had a boss that tried to do this to me but my interviews go so well the future employer saw right through the bs on his end. You seem a little attitude-ish to work for customer service or HR. I would try looking to work at a PNC in an entry level position and work your way up. Check thier website for what they are offering. Having a degree doesnt wash out a bad attitude.
Review yourself to see if you are coming off too bitter or strong.
Good Luck!

Old 04-04-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Take a step down to step up in a company. Apply for an entry level position. It seems to me that you may need to work on your interview skills as well. I had a boss that tried to do this to me but my interviews go so well the future employer saw right through the bs on his end. You seem a little attitude-ish to work for customer service or HR. I would try looking to work at a PNC in an entry level position and work your way up. Check thier website for what they are offering. Having a degree doesnt wash out a bad attitude.
Review yourself to see if you are coming off too bitter or strong.
Good Luck!
You don't know this person and you've never met her personally. How can you say she has a bad attitude? Don't blame the victim. Pittsburgh's job market is tough.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:51 PM

- Emotional reposts
- No hired after multiple interviews
- Unemployment term
- Blaming employers rather than taking responsibility and being proactive on the situation
- It all feels rather dramatic to me and its probably what the person talking to her in an interview gets a vibe of too.
- No friends in life giving the person a "hook up" to refer them for employment
- Thinking a B degree means an auto hire when theres TONS of people with B degrees
- Unwilling to look for a lower position and work thier way up

Thats what I am seeing in this post.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
- Emotional reposts
- No hired after multiple interviews
It happens. It has happened to my spouse, my brother, and to me, in my immediate circle.
- Unemployment term
Has happened to many, especially in this ecomony. A neighbor, MS in physics, unemployed for two years. A friend, engineer, unemployed for three years. My spouse, PhD in physics, was once unemployed for several months, has been laid off twice.
- Blaming employers rather than taking responsibility and being proactive on the situation
Three other people on this board have expressed similar situations. It is unrealistic to say it doesn't happen.- It all feels rather dramatic to me and its probably what the person talking to her in an interview gets a vibe of too.
- No friends in life giving the person a "hook up" to refer them for employment
She did not say that.
- Thinking a B degree means an auto hire when theres TONS of people with B degrees
She did not say that, was stating her qualifications.
- Unwilling to look for a lower position and work thier way up
She did not say that, either. Maybe is looking for entry-level.

Thats what I am seeing in this post.
That is what I am seeing in these posts. I mean, you could be right, about some of it, but probably not all of it.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:35 PM

It seemed implied. Judgement from your responses about it I wouldnt doubt you have a little bit of attitude in you too which could be why you were having the same problems.

So when an employer is looking at a dozen people to hire for a job...They are going with the one that doesnt have an attitude. Always.

Her presentation was implying those things to me. So I am sure they are giving the same sense of negativity to another person.

If someone was giving her the "hook up" she wouldnt be having this problem. She would be employed.

Bottom line is the individual's preformance, honesty and education all come into play. Former employers will legally say the term of employment and if they will or will not re-hire you. If someone does your backround check and you dont mention problems with your former employer and why...They get a "no" from that employer they are just going to go with the person that got a "yes" and thats hardly a black balling. Its just common sense on the part of the employer.

I am just saying how she came off to me in the snippets...So that same vibe is something another might pick up. Self review and polishing is not a bad thing to go over again and again when you are "hitting brick walls" doing the same thing over and over.

When you are denied employment you should ask the place why to get a clear picture on self improvement/change.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:58 PM

I have a job! I'm just saying, not everyone who has these problems has an attitude problem. Not every employer hires their employees' friends. Some of them look for the best person for the job. No one will ever tell you why you weren't hired, except to say "we found someone more qualified". I know many, many people who have had lots of interviews w/o success. A friend of mine went to a job-hunting seminar where they said that if you even get the interview, you've done well, let alone the job. May you never be unemployed and going through this.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:10 PM

Ive been there...
Ive also asked for feedback on shortcomings for the position and was given reasons.
I dont drop it at " more qualified " answer. I make it more of a social question and suggestions for improvement or direction.

I didnt say you didnt have a job. I am just relaying to you that it could of been your problem too because you were having the same job stall out issues.

Simply put the OP is doing the same thing and getting the same results.
Time to change SOMETHING. Change of attitude is a good start. Which I dont know one person that wouldnt have some sort of attitude after 4 years of dealing with this.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:29 PM

anyway....For the OP:
PNC is having a job fair: April 22
Google " PNC jobs"

Job Search at PNC:
https://www.pnc.com/webapp/unsec/Pro...reers/Join+PNC

I just put in accounting for a keyword and three pages came up.

I still think you should look up info on how to interview right.
Its been four years. The logical may be overlooked by this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: