Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 08:31 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,072,814 times

Advertisements

It's not easy getting info on this but the original location off of Baum is closing and another (McMurray?) is as well. Anybody have any info? The East End location is supposed to re-open as another restaurant not affiliated with the Sharp Edge restaurants. What a bummer. This location was one of the first places that had exotic beers in Pittsburgh, it was only what you saw when you entered, the right side dining section wasn't there. Just a few booths and the bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 08:45 AM

14,360 posts, read 16,875,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
It's not easy getting info on this but the original location off of Baum is closing and another (McMurray?) is as well. Anybody have any info? The East End location is supposed to re-open as another restaurant not affiliated with the Sharp Edge restaurants. What a bummer. This location was one of the first places that had exotic beers in Pittsburgh, it was only what you saw when you entered, the right side dining section wasn't there. Just a few booths and the bar.
I'm not surprised honestly. I used to go there all the time when I lived right around the corner on S Negley. But the main selling point of that place back in the day was the beer selection. Imports aren't a big thing any longer because there are so many microbrews which do the same thing a bit cheaper, and you can get a good selection at virtually any new bar. At the same time the food there was always a bit of an afterthought, and got worse as time went on.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'm not surprised honestly. I used to go there all the time when I lived right around the corner on S Negley. But the main selling point of that place back in the day was the beer selection. Imports aren't a big thing any longer because there are so many microbrews which do the same thing a bit cheaper, and you can get a good selection at virtually any new bar. At the same time the food there was always a bit of an afterthought, and got worse as time went on.
Yeah, I get it. Their big claim to fame back in the day was the cask conditioned beers, and the Belgian beers you couldn't find anywhere. I never did care much for their food, went there for the beers.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I get it. Their big claim to fame back in the day was the cask conditioned beers, and the Belgian beers you couldn't find anywhere. I never did care much for their food, went there for the beers.
The last few times I went (which was years ago mind you) the crowd did seem to be getting more fratty/broish as well.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:20 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,108,403 times
Went once and the food did not make up for the beer. Not worth the drive over.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:28 AM

As an aside, it's interesting to note that D's in Regent Square started with basically the same format (offering a gigundo variety of beers and serving food as an afterthought) but has sort of transformed into full-service family-friendly restaurant over the years, to the point that they had to open a more traditional bar upstairs.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
As an aside, it's interesting to note that D's in Regent Square started with basically the same format (offering a gigundo variety of beers and serving food as an afterthought) but has sort of transformed into full-service family-friendly restaurant over the years, to the point that they had to open a more traditional bar upstairs.
D's had a larger selection when they first opened. That store used to be an antique gun store/repair shop. Me and my roommates were some of the first people through that door when d's opened. They had nightly specials with color-coded stickers and the prices on the specials were pretty cheap. And the food was simple and good, unlike the Sharp Edge. The beer at Sharp Edge could be pretty pricey IIRC.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:26 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,482,638 times
Quote:
D's had a larger selection when they first opened. That store used to be an antique gun store/repair shop. Me and my roommates were some of the first people through that door when d's opened. They had nightly specials with color-coded stickers and the prices on the specials were pretty cheap. And the food was simple and good, unlike the Sharp Edge. The beer at Sharp Edge could be pretty pricey IIRC.

My wife and I would go to the Sharp Edge early on for dinner. We still comment on how expensive it was to this day.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:29 AM

3,702 posts, read 2,635,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Went once and the food did not make up for the beer. Not worth the drive over.
Then again I've never been to any brewpub where the food is great.

Old 09-12-2018, 12:48 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,108,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
My wife and I would go to the Sharp Edge early on for dinner. We still comment on how expensive it was to this day.

Yes, we are not big drinkers but still get a beer. For the quality of the food and service we got it was way overpriced. Many places I could go otherwise for better of all and likely a little cheaper. We don't go out often so price isn't a big deal but if I am going to overpay then I want some quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh