Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 09:11 AM

49 posts, read 45,735 times

Advertisements

So I have posted a couple of these requests for inf before but this time I want to get a little more specific with my questions.

My wife and I have decided we want to relocate from the Williamsport, PA area. Pittsburgh is our #1 area of interest but we are having a hard time figuring out where to look in terms of renting and eventually purchasing a home due to cost of living.

We do not want to live in the "ghetto" or run down suburbs, but realistically our annual income is around 50k/yr. Neighborhood, affordability, and school district are of equal importance in our search.

Can anyone help shed some light on the different areas that might be realistic options worth looking into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 05:52 AM

97 posts, read 100,825 times
Can you tell us what your transportation needs are? Will you rely on public transportation to get around? Would you be working downtown?

Old 10-01-2018, 06:23 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,561,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhickok View Post
So I have posted a couple of these requests for inf before but this time I want to get a little more specific with my questions.

My wife and I have decided we want to relocate from the Williamsport, PA area. Pittsburgh is our #1 area of interest but we are having a hard time figuring out where to look in terms of renting and eventually purchasing a home due to cost of living.

We do not want to live in the "ghetto" or run down suburbs, but realistically our annual income is around 50k/yr. Neighborhood, affordability, and school district are of equal importance in our search.

Can anyone help shed some light on the different areas that might be realistic options worth looking into?
While the school district (Northgate) is adequate rather than stellar, Bellevue and neighboring Avalon might be a good fit for you and your wife. It's affordable, quite walkable to both recreational and basic needs (grocery, hardware and drug stores; urgent care center and several mechanics are nearby by if either you or your car require service) and, outside of a few isolated incidents, relatively safe. As an added bonus, there are several bus lines that run through both communities with service at frequent intervals. They are both northwestern rather urban inner ring suburbs with easy access to the city core via state route 65, I-279, and through cutting through the North Side of Pittsburgh, so even if you and your wife don't end up working in the city, it's an easy commute to just about anywhere outside of the South Hills. (And, depending upon the time of day, even the South Hills isn't that bad of a drive from Bellevue.)

If you're seeking a better school district than Northgate, be aware that certain sections of Bellevue abut Ross Township (North Hills Schools) and Avalon, Ben Avon (Avonworth). The neighborhoods seamlessly bleed into one another, so be sure to check to be sure what school district the home is is before renting or buying.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:58 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
If school district is important, I would focus on that part first as it will help weed out many areas. Then I would look at job commute times. Where are you working. That will make the search easier. You don't need to live in a run down or ghetto area with that income so long as you aren't riddled with debt.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:03 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,977 times
Looks like 50,000 income allows you to pay rent of about 1250. If you want to buy a place in the same community we would need to make sure that there are options available in your price range. This would depend on a few things including size of down payment and the property taxes. So, how much are you willing to spend on your mortgage, homeowners insurance and property taxes?

There are a lot of suburbs that are options. The problem is that some of these suburbs aren't exactly new. So, depending on how you view things they may appear run down. I like Cheswick and Springdale. Both are safe and quiet suburbs that have some walkability. However, some may feel that they appear run down in places.

Last edited by robrobrob; 10-04-2018 at 09:13 AM..

Old 10-04-2018, 09:18 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,697,252 times
Hello. Williamsport, home of Little League World Series.

Look into Dormont. Walkability. Lots of rental options and affordable homes if you like it there. 15 minutes to downtown by car. 30 max by light rail. You could live here without a car. Keystone Oaks schools are pretty good. Not Level A, but a solid B. Good luck.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlwhip View Post
Can you tell us what your transportation needs are? Will you rely on public transportation to get around? Would you be working downtown?
Well I don't mind commuting but I'm pretty familiar with the Tram system so depending on where I end up working I may utilize it.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Looks like 50,000 income allows you to pay rent of about 1250. If you want to buy a place in the same community we would need to make sure that there are options available in your price range. This would depend on a few things including size of down payment and the property taxes. So, how much are you willing to spend on your mortgage, homeowners insurance and property taxes?

There are a lot of suburbs that are options. The problem is that some of these suburbs aren't exactly new. So, depending on how you view things they may appear run down. I like Cheswick and Springdale. Both are safe and quiet suburbs that have some walkability. However, some may feel that they appear run down in places.
I'm willing/able to spend about $800-$1000/month on a mortgage realistically.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:43 AM

97 posts, read 100,825 times
There is an abundant stock of real estate in Pittsburgh in your price range. Maybe not in the most desirable neighborhoods, though. But there are a lot of neighborhoods in the city where a modest mortgage is quite doable.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:48 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,977 times
I like Cheswick as an affordable somewhat walkable suburb.

Here is an example.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...88_rect/14_zm/

So, you pay 130,000 for it. 20% down. Mortgage for 104,000. Rate at 4.865 (just a guess based on Zillow). You are paying 550 plus taxes and insurance. Taxes will be about 3000 per year. This takes into account the new assessed value (95,000). I got this by using your purchase price (130,000) times the common level ratio of 87.1 (for 2017 I think this is right?) minus the the Homestead exemption (18K of assessed value). So, you are right at 800 plus insurance.

Another poster recommended Dormont, your taxes will likely be about 300-400 higher per year there.

It is possible to have cheaper taxes if your assessed value is only a little lower than your purchase price which means that the school district wouldn't appeal. But plan on the assessed value being set at the purchase price adjusted for the common level ratio minus the Homestead Exemption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh