Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2019, 03:25 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I know all about IRS section 501(c)(3). Have you read any of these organizations' IRS Form 990? Their community service is always a joke.
Bingo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 07:59 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
Ok, so let's assume UPMC loses its nonprofit status. The net effect would be higher health care costs for the region. Highmark would price its services slightly lower than UPMC to maintain a competitive edge. Insurers from outside the area would charge customers to pay the new prices. Who would win? Government workers in the city as a result of higher tax receipts. Who would lose? Everyone who needs healthcare.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:26 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I know all about IRS section 501(c)(3). Have you read any of these organizations' IRS Form 990? Their community service is always a joke.
I think if a hospital will provide service to ALL the community at a fair price, they could qualify for non-profit. I am not sure what you are getting at and I am more than welcoming an education from you. I don't mind hospitals being non-profit if they are doing good for all. Once you start "selecting" who you see to maximize profits, you are not acting like a nonprofit, you are acting like a company answering to stockholders. I think Pennsylvania needs to take a stand here and just say NO to UPMC! Highmark said they are fine with sharing and welcoming UPMC customers as "in network". UPMC is the enemy to our region as it stands. They said, "NO".

This is how I see it, but I welcome intelligent dispute. So far, I haven't read much in the way of.... well intelligent conversation. I want someone to disagree and show me why, but I don't think you can if UPMC says no and Highmark says okay.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Ok, so let's assume UPMC loses its nonprofit status. The net effect would be higher health care costs for the region.
WRONG! You are thinking MUCH too locally. Once you say, UPMC you are not a nonprofit, you are putting them at a huge disadvantage. HUGE! Guess what really happens? Oh yeah baby, you know what is going to happen if you know business like I do. BOOM, you have Cleveland Clinic and Mayo roll in. Oh they smell the blood and smell it fast because they know you either grow or be taken over. Forget UPMC, look beyond them. They are foolish in the long run and they will know it at some point. There are BIG nonprofit hospitals playing by the rules that have a TON of money to expand. UPMC becomes a company playing by the rules of real companies, they will get either eaten up or someone will roll in here and start taking over. UPMC is playing this VERY wrong. I started this a very long time ago. Am an investor of vast knowledge. UPMC is going to hurt from this in the end. I feel they deserve what they get.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Bingo
I feel it would be better for all if you just read on this thread. This one isn't for you. "Bingo" means nothing. You don't know anything about what he is talking about. Nothing. You just think it is something against me. you follow me around like some little fly getting in the way of meaningful conversation. Just stay on the sidelines and maybe you will start understanding this subject. It is a big deal for Pittsburgh. We are talking about people losing their doctors being treated for cancer and a host of other very serious illnesses. Have some respect for those that are fighting for their lives. Geez!!!!!

Old 02-08-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I feel it would be better for all if you just read on this thread. This one isn't for you. "Bingo" means nothing. You don't know anything about what he is talking about. Nothing. You just think it is something against me. you follow me around like some little fly getting in the way of meaningful conversation. Just stay on the sidelines and maybe you will start understanding this subject. It is a big deal for Pittsburgh. We are talking about people losing their doctors being treated for cancer and a host of other very serious illnesses. Have some respect for those that are fighting for their lives. Geez!!!!!
It’s actually you who doesn’t know what they’re talking about. You’re making assumptions and have issue with UPMC because it personally affects you. Until they’re proven not to be non-profit, they are non profit.

Last edited by erieguy; 02-08-2019 at 09:11 PM..

Old 02-08-2019, 09:31 PM

969 posts, read 772,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
He doesn't care about people, he cares about companies. I thought you might have realized that by now. He has nothing to say of value.

(Bingo) (Assumptions) (Other dummy buzzwords)

Old 02-08-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
He doesn't care about people, he cares about companies. I thought you might have realized that by now. He has nothing to say of value.

(Bingo) (Assumptions) (Other dummy buzzwords)
You forgot entitlement.

It doesn’t have anything to do with companies. It has to do with what the facts are. Crying because you can’t see UPMC doctors doesn’t mean they’re doing anything wrong, and one always has the option to purchase UPMC insurance or to work for an employer that offers UPMC insurance or even both companies. If my doctor or dentist moves out of network, I simply find a new doctor/dentist. It’s not difficult to find quality physicians in both networks.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:54 PM

969 posts, read 772,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
It doesn’t have anything to do with companies. It has to do with what the facts are. Crying because you can’t see UPMC doctors doesn’t mean they’re doing anything wrong, and one always has the option to purchase UPMC insurance or to work for an employer that offers UPMC insurance or even both companies. If my doctor or dentist moves out of network, I simply find a new doctor/dentist. It’s not difficult to find quality physicians in both networks.
You must have a very select group of people you interact with day-to-day, which makes sense given you comment history so I'm not surprised this is your perspective. Never stop posting, we need the extreme positions to bring the rest of us together.

(Bingo) (Assumptions) (Simply)

Old 02-08-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
You must have a very select group of people you interact with day-to-day, which makes sense given you comment history so I'm not surprised this is your perspective. Never stop posting, we need the extreme positions to bring the rest of us together.

(Bingo) (Assumptions) (Simply)
Given your comment history you must think you’re entitled to what you want. You can get it, you just might have to pay for it, which sounds like the issue here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh