Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2018, 08:56 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times

Advertisements

Many of these lists are kind of silly click-bait, but it is still pretty good publicity. It is a major news source reporting, so at least some people will see our cities name.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features...jobs-right-now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 09:22 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,999 times
Interestingly, if you share the link to that story in social media, a beautiful picture of Pittsburgh shows up BUT this is the sub-heading for the article: "Still need a job? These cities are desperately looking." Having lots of job openings is not necessarily a good thing. To be fair, it doesn't necessarily mean the city is desperately looking either like the subtitle suggests. Having a lot of openings could mean many good and/or bad things.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:09 AM

615 posts, read 394,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
Interestingly, if you share the link to that story in social media, a beautiful picture of Pittsburgh shows up BUT this is the sub-heading for the article: "Still need a job? These cities are desperately looking." Having lots of job openings is not necessarily a good thing. To be fair, it doesn't necessarily mean the city is desperately looking either like the subtitle suggests. Having a lot of openings could mean many good and/or bad things.
Pittsburgh has more articles that contradict each other in regards to the local job market more than any city I’ve ever seen.

Wages are lower here than average and year over year job growth is stagnant at best. New housing starts are at the lowest number recorded in recent memory. But somehow we are the best city for finding a job. Based upon what data? Are these new jobs being created or openings due to retirement? If the job market is so robust why aren’t the population in migration numbers better? Where is the growth?

The bureau of labor statistics gives a more accurate picture of wages and total jobs. Yet in migration with population growth and availability of jobs or job growth all go hand in hand. Pittsburgh is still declining in population.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:28 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
Pittsburgh has more articles that contradict each other in regards to the local job market more than any city I’ve ever seen.

Wages are lower here than average and year over year job growth is stagnant at best. New housing starts are at the lowest number recorded in recent memory. But somehow we are the best city for finding a job. Based upon what data? Are these new jobs being created or openings due to retirement? If the job market is so robust why aren’t the population in migration numbers better? Where is the growth?

The bureau of labor statistics gives a more accurate picture of wages and total jobs. Yet in migration with population growth and availability of jobs or job growth all go hand in hand. Pittsburgh is still declining in population.
Your focus is on Pittsburgh. That is why you feel there are so many contradicting articles.

Wages don’t need to be as high here. Housing starts? Not a lot of meaning in a city that lost half its population. Plenty of homes to fix up. Growth is going on with young people. That is a good thing. Pittsburgh is barely declining. Quality over quantity.

Bottom line is Pittsburgh is moving along okay. Not great but not bad either.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:08 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,375 times
Interestingly, of all the cities in the top 25 of the jobs list, Pittsburgh is tied for last place (with Cleveland) for median job satisfaction score.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:46 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
I’ve worked at my office for 2.5 years and still have the lowest seniority. We have had multiple vacancies since before I started that we still can’t fill, yet wages aren’t increasing to entice more applicants to come forward. Make of that what you will.

In my opinion there are TONS of jobs in Pittsburgh right now. As was noted above our population is still declining. I just don’t know when wages will start to increase.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:15 PM

615 posts, read 394,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I’ve worked at my office for 2.5 years and still have the lowest seniority. We have had multiple vacancies since before I started that we still can’t fill, yet wages aren’t increasing to entice more applicants to come forward. Make of that what you will.

In my opinion there are TONS of jobs in Pittsburgh right now. As was noted above our population is still declining. I just don’t know when wages will start to increase.
The article states they looked at open postings on indeed. How accurate is that? How
many job postings are duplicated? I do think there are a lot of low paying jobs open in Pittsburgh, but that can be said for most cities.

If there are so many jobs then how come there is difficulty filling them? If it is so good then why aren’t people flocking here in droves to take these jobs? It just doesn’t add up.

Migration and population growth are directly tied to the job market. That is true for any city. Plus if we are pretty much even or stagnant in population. That number would spike upwards by a good bit.

Another point is 53 percent of of the population rents in Pittsburgh. Only 47 percent of housing units are owner occupied. So if living in Pittsburgh is the thing to do why are there more renters than owners. Are people unable to buy or are they just unwilling to buy? There is a huge difference in what the correct answer to that question is. Either the wages are so low they can’t buy or people don’t want to buy because they aren’t looking to stay in the first place. Either answer to that question is not good.

You mention wages. I have argued this with Buster on the Amazon thread. Lower wages for cheaper living do
Not entice a whole bunch of people. Amazon would fail here very quickly with that thinking. You do have a segment that it attracts, but long term you don’t build wealth, prosperity and growth with that thinking. If there are this many job openings as the article states the only logical explanation is they don’t pay very well. Otherwise you would have people moving here from elsewhere in droves for those 10s of thousands of jobs. People go where the jobs are and where they can make money. A minority segment drums to your beat or others on here that don’t care about the lower salary. They just want to live in McKeesport, Pittsburgh or some other western pa town.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:36 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,141,538 times
...again with the reaching.

If Indeed is flawed, it's flawed for other cities. The comparison is the same. It's apples to apples.

It is simply unebelievabl (well not really z man) how far one will go to spin something into a negative.

"OMG, a job is posted and it's not filled - something is wrong with this city!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh