Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 02:15 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh hosts 'Railvolution' conference pushing development around transit facilities | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 03:29 PM

969 posts, read 772,975 times
Wow, quality post here. Thanks for finding an article in the posy gazette and then putting it here with this descriptive subject.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:02 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Discuss

Old 10-23-2018, 04:16 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
One point to ponder is that Pittsburgh never had "commuter" trains in the classic sense; what was operated by the former Pennsylvania Railroad was geared to day trips into the city for shopping, etc, and originated in places like Greensburg, Washington, Wheeling, Beaver Falls, and even Kittanning -- a relative handful of schedules, at most. This arose in part because Pittsburgh never had much of a "downtown' until the Rust Bowl years -- people were more likely to work close to where they lived.

What's now called "light rail", OTOH, and used to be called "interurban" or just trolley cars, was more common, and is less expensive to build. But it needs to be recognized that what plays well in Portland may not always be suitable for Pittsburgh.

Here's a link that might stir up some memories:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Penn_Railways

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-23-2018 at 04:36 PM..

Old 10-23-2018, 05:14 PM

432 posts, read 360,139 times
I hate the trend toward new trolley systems. If they're already there, fine, but spending lots of money on new tracks and infrastructure for transit that gets stuck in traffic, can't go around jams or wrecks, and can't be rerouted as needed seems foolish. The tracks even trip up bicyclists! I see no advantages, and I believe that Seattle's recent and ongoing experience with them bears me out. https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...m-automobiles/

In favor of light rail corridors as needed, connecting other transportation nodes and separate from automobile traffic lanes. In favor of buses, which provide all the flexibility lacking in trolleys.

Last edited by Pughnose; 10-23-2018 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 10-24-2018, 04:50 PM

59 posts, read 97,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pughnose View Post
I hate the trend toward new trolley systems. If they're already there, fine, but spending lots of money on new tracks and infrastructure for transit that gets stuck in traffic, can't go around jams or wrecks, and can't be rerouted as needed seems foolish. The tracks even trip up bicyclists! I see no advantages, and I believe that Seattle's recent and ongoing experience with them bears me out. https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...m-automobiles/

In favor of light rail corridors as needed, connecting other transportation nodes and separate from automobile traffic lanes. In favor of buses, which provide all the flexibility lacking in trolleys.
Seattle is an example of how the best intentions can still get messed up. The South lake Union Streetcar was built first, and should have been built last. The First Hill Streetcar was built second (mainly to connect Capitol Hill people to the subway) and should have been built after the first avenue segment which is the sticking point now and was also closed prematurely. I took the First Hill Streetcar this past winter, and while I see what they were trying to do, not connecting that vital piece to all three lines is just...silly.

The only Streetcar that's worse is DC's.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:11 PM

6,344 posts, read 11,097,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pughnose View Post

You should see the joke of a Choo Choo they built in Cincinnati. Could have used the money to shore up and improve bus service. A 3 mile loop and nobody rides it and it costs the taxpayers millions of dollars. Running in the red to say the least. Light rail and heavy rail are usually much more viable for mass transit than a trolley system. Hopefully Pittsburgh won't even consider building a trolley system. They had their day and time but it has long passed.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:32 PM

130 posts, read 122,724 times
One thing that intrigued me about Seattle and San Francisco was that they have trolley busses, a kind of compromise between the electric power of trolleys and the flexibility of busses. I would think that whenever the current rolling stock ages out, it may be possible to convert to trolley busses--at least in the areas that are paved track with intact overhead wires. It's my understanding that they do well on hilly terrain, which seems like a good fit particularly in areas like Allentown. Of course, I don't know much about this so I could be very wrong.

Old 10-26-2018, 05:06 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,970,308 times
Streetcars, in the age of mass automobile ownership, are stupid and wasteful. They are built to appeal to rail-biased yuppies who grew up in the suburbs and think buses are for the poors.

Old 10-26-2018, 05:45 AM

615 posts, read 394,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Streetcars, in the age of mass automobile ownership, are stupid and wasteful. They are built to appeal to rail-biased yuppies who grew up in the suburbs and think buses are for the poors.
What’s amazing is the amount of folks on here that think spending money on old technology that is slow and expensive to maintain is not somehow a waste. These are the same folks that want Pittsburgh to be the Silicon Valley of the east. People want to move quickly with ease. I think in 10 years mass transit like PAT will be cut back to literally nothing.

Anybody paying attention to the Automobile sales drop? Cars are expensive and no doubt they will get more expensive with these tariffs. However there is a probable solution that will cure these ills and make the domestic and foreign automakers sustainable for decades. No matter what people say the automobile industry holds all of the keys to making life easier and convenient from place to place. Here is my prediction.

1. Due to declining sales the auto makers are going to offer subscriptions to vehicles. Basically you subscribe and have access to certain vehicle types and models. You will switch as your needs change. Want a sedan for the week? No problem? Need to exchange that sedan for suv for a trip, no problem.

2. The evolution of ride share. The auto makers hold all of the cards because they are established and know how to build cars. You already see the partnership with lyftand GM. You will pay GM, Ford or Honda etc for a subscription to ride share. You get a self driving vehicle on demand to take you within a certain radius or distance depending on your subscription. This will eliminate the need for buses and fixed route stops. And the government will add another perk for those that choose not to work subsidizing tax money that will go to the auto makers. Just like how they currently do with cell phones and internet.

So my prediction is mass transit will be cut back mostly everywhere. The Midwest and Detroit will be where all the new money goes as the automakers and high tech make this partnership.

Oh and Tesla isn’t going to be around much longer either. And unless Uber partners with an automaker they will go extinct as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh