Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 06:17 PM

14 posts, read 34,765 times

Advertisements

I'm currently conducting some informal research examining the relationship between recent structural changes in Pittsburgh (e.g. the construction of South Side Works, the revitalization of Lawrenceville, the footbridge connecting South Side and Oakland, etc.) and residents' quality of life. Please take a moment to honestly answer the following questions:

1. How long have you lived in Pittsburgh?

2. In which neighborhood do you reside?

3. What structural changes have you noted in your neighorhood within the last year (e.g. construction of townhomes, closing down of shops, building of hospitals or health centers, paving of roads, etc.)?

4. In what way have these changes affected your daily pattern of living in your neighborhood?

5. How have these changes affected your opinion or perception of the community you live in?

6. On a monthly basis, approximately how often do you visit family and/or friends?

7. How well do you know your neighbors?

8. Do you feel like you can trust your neighbors?

9. What mode of transportation do you use to get to work everyday?

10. What mode of transportation do you use to run errands such as grocery shopping, purchasing household goods, going to the gym, visiting the barber or stylist, etc.?

11. Which, if any, community programs are you directly involved with?

Thank you for your time it is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 08:05 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,857,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyinjest View Post
15 years (but splitting time the last 6).

Quote:
Regent Square.

Quote:
3. What structural changes have you noted in your neighorhood within the last year (e.g. construction of townhomes, closing down of shops, building of hospitals or health centers, paving of roads, etc.)?
Just the last year? Legume, a new restaurant, opened, and Sweetie Sweetie, a bakery, closed. They have progressed on the Nine Mile Run project in Frick Park. A new charter school was approved for the former Regent Square Elementary.

Quote:
4. In what way have these changes affected your daily pattern of living in your neighborhood?
We like the new restaurant, and miss going to the bakery. We always went to the park a lot. We are looking into the school, but our son isn't old enough yet.

Quote:
5. How have these changes affected your opinion or perception of the community you live in?
The restaurant definitely is part of a series of developments making Regent Square seem a little more upscale. Again, the park has always been a nice feature. The school is potentially huge news--it might make public school a more attractive option for many local residents.

Quote:
6. On a monthly basis, approximately how often do you visit family and/or friends?
Maybe once a month, thanks to splitting time between two cities.

Quote:
Pretty well, but again the two city lifestyle doesn't help.

Quote:
Mostly very much so (e.g., we let our son go over to one neighbor's house without us), although we are having a tree-related dispute with one neighbor.

Quote:
I work in Washington DC (and take Metro). My wife works in Pittsburgh and takes the bus (61B).

Quote:
10. What mode of transportation do you use to run errands such as grocery shopping, purchasing household goods, going to the gym, visiting the barber or stylist, etc.?
Usually a car, although we also walk to the corner store and a couple local shops.

Quote:
None right now, but I hope to get more involved when I move back permanently in about a month.

Quote:
No problem!

Old 04-04-2008, 08:59 PM

675 posts, read 2,088,517 times
1. 3 years

2. Southside

3. Lots of renovations of houses all over the neighborhood, Southside Works, pedestrian bridge, Carson St, etc. etc. etc.

4. Opened up greater opportunities for shopping, dining, and recreation in my own neighborhood.

5. Positively

6. Family: once or twice
Friends: 5-10

7. very well

8. very much so

9. car, but not by choice

10. foot or car

11. Southside Slopes Neighborhood Association

Old 04-04-2008, 10:37 PM

141 posts, read 719,127 times
1. How long have you lived in Pittsburgh? 5 yrs during college, then moved back after marrying a Burgher, been back for 5 years

2. In which neighborhood do you reside? Crafton/Ingram

3. What structural changes have you noted in your neighorhood within the last year (e.g. construction of townhomes, closing down of shops, building of hospitals or health centers, paving of roads, etc.)? Tear down of Section 8 apts for new CVS, revamping of projects to flip into townhomes (Broadhead Manor area)

4. In what way have these changes affected your daily pattern of living in your neighborhood? getting rid of boarded up projects is always a good thing

5. How have these changes affected your opinion or perception of the community you live in? Slowly changing...a lot of ppl thought our neighborhood was bad b/c of said projects. Not anymore...but hard to change minds...

6. On a monthly basis, approximately how often do you visit family and/or friends? rarely- most family & friends still in hometown.

7. How well do you know your neighbors? Very well

8. Do you feel like you can trust your neighbors? Absolutely- they have my house keys!

9. What mode of transportation do you use to get to work everyday? Bus

10. What mode of transportation do you use to run errands such as grocery shopping, purchasing household goods, going to the gym, visiting the barber or stylist, etc.? My car

11. Which, if any, community programs are you directly involved with? American Liver Foundation

Old 04-05-2008, 07:14 AM

Thank you to BrianTH, gallacus, and pghtebbie for your comprehensive and entirely useful input! Have a fantastic weekend!

Seth

Old 04-05-2008, 08:24 AM

29,623 posts, read 34,077,569 times
1. How long have you lived in Pittsburgh? 7.5 years

2. In which neighborhood do you reside? Beechview

3. What structural changes have you noted in your neighorhood within the last year (e.g. construction of townhomes, closing down of shops, building of hospitals or health centers, paving of roads, etc.)? The city has taken over some delinquent properties in the business district with the promise of finding developers for them. The hispanic video store has closed, but our state senator has opened a new office on Broadway.

4. In what way have these changes affected your daily pattern of living in your neighborhood? They haven't really.

5. How have these changes affected your opinion or perception of the community you live in? It's given me new hope that the neighborhood, which doesn't have a great reputation, is turning around. There's much more community involvement with meetings and such.

6. On a monthly basis, approximately how often do you visit family and/or friends? My entire family is in Ohio, so maybe once ever 2 or 3 months; Friends, weekly.

7. How well do you know your neighbors? I know them to wave, but I'm not all up in their business, and they're not up in mine.

8. Do you feel like you can trust your neighbors? Definitely. This is the first neighborhood I've lived in where I can get things delivered without them being stolen of the front porch.

9. What mode of transportation do you use to get to work everyday? Even though I shouldn't, I drive. In bad weather or when the car's in the shop, I take the T/bus.

10. What mode of transportation do you use to run errands such as grocery shopping, purchasing household goods, going to the gym, visiting the barber or stylist, etc.? car.

11. Which, if any, community programs are you directly involved with? I've been attending monthly community meetings, and I'm on the mailing list for Beechview Concerned Citizens.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:43 PM

632 posts, read 1,733,076 times
Quote:
I'm currently conducting some informal research examining the relationship between recent structural changes in Pittsburgh (e.g. the construction of South Side Works, the revitalization of Lawrenceville, the footbridge connecting South Side and Oakland, etc.) and residents' quality of life. Please take a moment to honestly answer the following questions:

Going on 5 years in June.

North Point Breeze, near the border of East Liberty

Many new stores have moved in on Penn Avenue; the Bakery Square development is progressing rapidly; several homes near us have been/are being extensively renovated; the city has been (I think) fixing gas lines and repaving Fifth Avenue over the last year.

The development on Penn Avenue has positively impacted my daily life in the sense that I am now easily able to walk to Trader Joes and other shops at Shadyside Village. However, on the down side, the construction has been causing problems with my commute. I believe our property values have also gone up since we moved in, primarily because of the development nearby, but also because our neighbors have been fixing up their houses.

In general, I feel very positive about living here and look forward to seeing what happens to the neighborhood once the Bakery Square development is finished.

6-8 times a month. We are very social, and 90% of our friends live in the East End, so it is easy to get together with other people.

We are quite friendly with several of the other home owners in the area, but don't know many of the residents of the multi-unit housing on our street.

Yes and no. There is an element in this neighborhood that is a bit rough, and I worry about them sometimes (again, associated with the multi-unit housing down the street and behind us). However, all of the homeowners we know in the area are very pleasant. We trust one of them enough that we have given him access to our yard to do work on the side of his own house. Another neighbor has a key to our garage.

I take the bus. My husband commutes in a car to Robinson Township.

Car, walking, public transportation

None currently.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:47 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
Quote:
Lived there for two years (no longer live there)

Quote:
Resided in Point Breeze.

Quote:
As of two years ago, not much had changed since I left it in the late 90s except that property values have gone up pretty sharply which has encouraged some updating/rehabbing. However, it is existing housing stock being updated rather than new housing stock being built. The old stock is still in good shape and there isn't really any open space for new construction.

Quote:
N/A

Quote:
Not much since it has not really altered the fundamental nature of the neighborhood.

Quote:
N/A

Quote:
I knew a couple of them quite well, I knew others only vaugely -- waving as one was walking out their front door and what-not.

Quote:
Had no reason not to.

Quote:
Got there by car. It was the only practical way to get there since I worked in Carnegie.

Quote:
Car. Always. Except when walking to the tiny business district on Reynolds between Hastings and Gettysburg (it was right down the street from my place) or maybe to walk to the Murray Avenue strip in SQHill. I only took public transportation once in the entire 2 years I lived there, except to ride the T just to see the neighborhoods it went through.

Quote:
None while I was there.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:57 PM

Fleetiebelle, subdivisions, and Drover:

I heartily thank you for your time and considerate input. Such a diverse group of responses! However, although answers have varied, nearly everyone appears to be mildly optimistic about change in their respective communities.

Thanks again!

Seth

Old 04-05-2008, 09:34 PM

522 posts, read 2,618,182 times

34 yrs until 2006, moved to Seattle & will be back in 2010

Grew up in Whitehall, then married and lived in Bethel Park for 8 years.

Lots of new housing plans, SH Village had some construction and a new parking garage at the T. Lots of new stores were built!

Having a Home Depot built so close was wonderful and the parking garage at the T would of been so much better for hubby but it was not done when we left!

The changes contributed to why we love Bethel Park so much and why we plan on living there when we move back!

My friends, almost daily, had the greatest friends in my neighborhood. I saw my parents weekly and my sisters who lived 10 minutes away propbably 2-3 times a month.

Knew them very well, lifetime friends were made there in that neighborhood. We also had block parties, bunco, and all that great neighborhood stuff!

The ones I knew, sure!

Hubby drove to the T station, then rose subway into town. I didn't work.

I used our SUV, hubby used his car.

Mostly just neighborhood stuff.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh