Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 08:22 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,456,700 times

Advertisements

I can't believe you city people want to tear down an old historic building and replace it with new suburban type construction. Never thought I'd see that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 11:07 AM

3,704 posts, read 2,640,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
If it wasn't defaced by that awful reskinning, I'd argue for preservation. But the building is garbage as it stands, and out of scale with everything else close to the point. It should be demolished.

Edit: Used to look like this:

At minimum, build something on that surface lot at the corner of Boulevard of the Allies and Commonwealth Place.

Can the building be de-skinned? Or was it unchangeably altered forever?

Old 11-06-2018, 12:25 PM

14,361 posts, read 16,890,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Can the building be de-skinned? Or was it unchangeably altered forever?
I mean, it depends upon how much of the original facade is hidden underneath. If they demolished the original exterior walls, you'd basically have to rebuild everything new - which surely wouldn't be worth it. However, if instead they just demolished it in sections for the new window openings, and then stuck that paneling over the old brick, it's possible there's still something left to salvage.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:35 PM

755 posts, read 466,177 times
Here's a proposal for the building I saw a while back that is novel and would serve as a focal point for tourism, especially being right across the street from the park (you can actually make out how those great arches in Eschaton's photo posting would be expressed in one of the interior renderings):

https://www.nextpittsburgh.com/city-...f-free-speech/

Old 11-06-2018, 01:45 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,033,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I can't believe you city people want to tear down an old historic building and replace it with new suburban type construction. Never thought I'd see that.
Been wondering and not believing it myself. Must have to be historical AND vibrant to want to keep it.

Old 11-06-2018, 03:11 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,802,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
They wanted the civic arena gone for a parking lot. Why surprised?

Old 11-06-2018, 03:16 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,936,000 times
I think the facade might be a mess under all that cladding. I believe it was covered up in the late 50s or early 60s as Gateway Center and all the modern buildings were built around it. They did it so it would fit in more with the new stuff. It's in a great location, though, and something much taller could be built there, given the demand for office and living space downtown and close to the subway station and tons of bus routes. And you can't beat being that close to the park.

Old 11-06-2018, 03:31 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,146,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
I think the facade might be a mess under all that cladding. I believe it was covered up in the late 50s or early 60s as Gateway Center and all the modern buildings were built around it. They did it so it would fit in more with the new stuff. It's in a great location, though, and something much taller could be built there, given the demand for office and living space downtown and close to the subway station and tons of bus routes. And you can't beat being that close to the park.
Are there height restrictions, though? I thought I heard something at one point that in terms of height, city planners require that buildings gradually slope down as they get closer to the point, with the taller buildings being near the bluff. Of course, even 10 stories would be better than what there is now, but, if the height restriction thing is true, I don't think they could even go beyond 15-20 if they wanted to.

Old 11-06-2018, 03:31 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,456,700 times
Looks like a good place for condos with that view. Or another jail.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:49 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,033,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
They wanted the civic arena gone for a parking lot. Why surprised?
There was no room for it and it served no purpose any longer after the Pens moved into their new venue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh