Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 01:27 PM

314 posts, read 846,911 times

Advertisements

I have a concern ofr when I move up to the big, scary "North" I am southern through and through and, while I don't sound like a hick ( I am told) I do have southern speech patterns and use southern lingo. One of the things that concerns me is my rampant use of endearments when talking to strangers. Down here, everyone is baby, sugar or darlin'. It is jusr how we talk. On one occasion, when talking to someone in customer srevice, a woman acted offended that I called her darlin'. So here is my concern: am I going to **** some lady off for say "thank ya, baby" or make some dude think I am coming on to him when I say "Have a good one, sugar"? All your honest opinions are welcome and expected :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 01:33 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,817,074 times
While Pittsburgh is generally a laid-back place and I think you'll find some of its speech patterns aren't that far from your own (it is an Appalachian city after all), endearments like "baby" and "sugar" and "darlin'" are not particularly common and may be regarded by some as offensive or patronizing.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:53 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,144,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxd_13 View Post
I have a concern ofr when I move up to the big, scary "North" I am southern through and through and, while I don't sound like a hick ( I am told) I do have southern speech patterns and use southern lingo. One of the things that concerns me is my rampant use of endearments when talking to strangers. Down here, everyone is baby, sugar or darlin'. It is jusr how we talk. On one occasion, when talking to someone in customer srevice, a woman acted offended that I called her darlin'. So here is my concern: am I going to **** some lady off for say "thank ya, baby" or make some dude think I am coming on to him when I say "Have a good one, sugar"? All your honest opinions are welcome and expected :P
It wouldn't offend me -- but it does offend some. I frankly think those people would be offended by anything, but I've seen those discussions. (My knee jerk feeling when I read "I am NOT her honey!" is "just deal you whiny sack of XXXX." But lately my cranky pants have been far more on than off.)

Baby isn't one that I've heard -- Sugar, or Sug -- I have heard. And I've used darlin' myself.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:45 PM

41 posts, read 466,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxd_13 View Post
Danger, Will Robinson. Using those endearments with strangers or in a work setting would be akin to tossing live grenades around. Be prepared to **** some people off.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:42 PM

134 posts, read 561,571 times
I was in Norfolk, VA last week and after I ordered food at a restaurant, the lady said, "thank you sugar". At first I was surprised (not offended), but then I realized where I was at and went on with my business.

You might get some funny looks, but I don't think most will be offended, that being said, there is always a few that will.....

Old 04-05-2008, 08:38 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,817,074 times
fton400 raises a good point about using those sorts of endearments in a workplace. HR will cringe every time you do it and probably tell you not to.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:28 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,906,172 times
I've met people in Pittsburgh who do this (e.g., a woman just the other day working in an autobody shop who called me "hon"). So I am not sure it would really stand out that much.

In any event, people tend to pick up most of the local language conventions pretty fast.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:20 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,188,047 times
Well...when in Rome...

I wouldnt use that at work with co-workers. But if someone is offened socially an apology and bit of conversation about social difference of the north could smooth things over.
I have noticed a lot of women use those terms here. Not so much men.
Are you m or f?

I think it also depends where you work and your customer base.
The lady at the little corner shop I pick things up at always calls me those things. Im a northerner and I still like it. Like a little bit of gramma in a sentence that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. I cant help but smile.

You could poo on a plate and some male would think you are hitting on them.
LOL
Well maybe not...But usually just takes a smile it seems...or even eye contact. LOL

Old 04-05-2008, 11:52 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,943,713 times
Your Southern accent will not be a problem at all. In fact, most Pittsburghers will love it. However, even in the South it is considered demeaning for a man to call a woman "Honey," "Sugar," or "Darling," unless that woman is your significant other. Whether you are oblivious to it or not, you are talking down to a woman when you do this and she will likely be angry with you even if she doesn't say it.

Using those terms in the workplace will likely get you written up, if not slapped.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:28 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,344,194 times
Don't change your charming, natural ways because of a few types of people you'll run into anywhere no matter who you are and what you say to them. Any problems you'd run into here I'd expect to be minimal, if at all. Southerners I've known who come to live here become very popular. Keep your ears open and you'll hear a lot of us talking like you, just with a different accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh