Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 10:58 AM

615 posts, read 394,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Oh wow I looked into the Cleveland system and now I don't think I would call that a subway. It appears that only 1 station is underground, Tower City, and the portion of the system that is underground is less than 2000 ft. I didn't expect that. I guess technically it is a subway, but I really wouldn't consider it to be. So that leaves Pittsburgh as clearly the smallest city in the US with its own subway system. Nobody can think of another in the world, maybe Canada or Europe?
That’s what I said earlier. Cleveland is not a subway. Cleveland is better if you are a transit junkie and hate to pay for airport or downtown parking. I’ve ridden both Pittsburgh and Cleveland in their entirety.

So yes Pittsburgh has the smallest subway in the world 1.1 miles total
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 11:04 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
Do you literally mean "subway" as in underground, or a train in general?

Also, I believe Buffalo has something.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:09 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
The way that most Australian cities are set up, only the immediate downtown area is actually the core municipality. So the actual City of Sidney only has 208,000 people, and the City of Melbourne has only 135,000 people. Both of them have subway systems.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:13 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,773,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Do you literally mean "subway" as in underground, or a train in general?

Also, I believe Buffalo has something.

I just mean actual underground subway systems, not street level. It looks like Buffalo wins, theirs is a subway, I didn't realize it. Its city limits have slightly smaller population than Newark.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:49 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
I just mean actual underground subway systems, not street level. It looks like Buffalo wins, theirs is a subway, I didn't realize it. Its city limits have slightly smaller population than Newark.
I've ridden on Buffalo's. It's the opposite of Pittsburgh, above ground downtown, then goes underground. Both are light rail (basically streetcars), as opposed to the heavy rail that serious subway systems have.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:22 PM

869 posts, read 1,278,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
That’s what I said earlier. Cleveland is not a subway. Cleveland is better if you are a transit junkie and hate to pay for airport or downtown parking. I’ve ridden both Pittsburgh and Cleveland in their entirety.

So yes Pittsburgh has the smallest subway in the world 1.1 miles total
Yeah, Cleveland only has the Tower City stop and maybe the Airport stop that are underground. These rest is light rail and heavy rail: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...0-2015_SVG.svg

Old 12-03-2018, 08:40 PM

4,532 posts, read 5,103,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usaf_1832 View Post
Yeah, Cleveland only has the Tower City stop and maybe the Airport stop that are underground. These rest is light rail and heavy rail: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...0-2015_SVG.svg
In Cleveland, the airport section is indeed a subway... Some argue that downtown/Tower City section isn't a true subway because rail runs beneath a series of buildings and streets that are built on stilts (pillars resting in 200-foot caissons, actually) and that the entire triangular Tower City complex is actually open to the outside on it's southern flank -- which actually necessitated by that large platform and rail yard needed for the Union Terminal station until passenger traffic shrunk away and Amtrak relocated to the currently, 1-track, 1-platform lakefront station. Personally, I don't buy it and still consider the RTA Rapid's downtown section a short subway as it does go beneath streets and, really, cut-and-cover subways are really streets built on 'stilts' above trenches, anyway.

That said, both Buffalo and Newark are much smaller subway cities than Pittsburgh. Newark, of course, is not in its own metro area but is a part of NYC's.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:09 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
A true subway or metro is defined as a "heavy rail" system. Pittsburgh's "T" is a light rail system. It's underground portion is technically not a subway. Check Wiki under world subways or metros. Pittsburgh is not listed.

As an aside, PA had at least 5 companies that made subway cars: J.G. Brill, Philly; the Budd Co., Philly; American Car and Foundry, Berwick; Pressed Steel Car Co., Pittsburgh and Pullman Standard, Butler. There are none left in the United States- all US subway cars are made by foreign companies with US assembly plants.

Last edited by Wells5; 12-04-2018 at 04:20 AM..

Old 12-04-2018, 05:18 AM

615 posts, read 394,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
A true subway or metro is defined as a "heavy rail" system. Pittsburgh's "T" is a light rail system. It's underground portion is technically not a subway. Check Wiki under world subways or metros. Pittsburgh is not listed.

As an aside, PA had at least 5 companies that made subway cars: J.G. Brill, Philly; the Budd Co., Philly; American Car and Foundry, Berwick; Pressed Steel Car Co., Pittsburgh and Pullman Standard, Butler. There are none left in the United States- all US subway cars are made by foreign companies with US assembly plants.
That is interesting. The US only has 15 of these heavy rail transit systems that would be considered a subway or a metro rail. The smallest city listed with a heavy rail metro transit is Cleveland. The next smallest city is Baltimore. I’m sure most of you could name the other cities as they are the largest in the nation. Philadelphia is the only PA city on the list.

Pittsburgh has a light rail it is not listed as a metro transit system. It said light rail systems are not considered subways or metro transit. Light rail is lower capicity and slower than heavy rail.

Very interesting.

If access to fast metro transportation was so important Cleveland and Baltimore should’ve been on the top 20 for amazon. Cleveland, Baltimore, San Francisco were all left off the amazon final list. The rest of the heavy rail metro cities were on it. Oh and a city in Puerto Rico was considered a US heavy rail metro city and they weren’t on Amazon’s list either. I think it was San Juan

Last edited by pittsburghaccuweather; 12-04-2018 at 05:27 AM..

Old 12-04-2018, 06:25 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post

Learned something new every day. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh